Was: Stroker 4.6L swap, Now: 4.0L swap... apparently...

Whatcha going to do with the left over half an XJ.. would make an awesome truggy project :D A few pieces of tube.. a obnoxious V-8 with some rockwells.. on some XMLs :driving:

there isn't enough xj left to make a trugy, whcih is sad

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whatcha going to do with the left over half an XJ.. would make an awesome truggy project :D A few pieces of tube.. a obnoxious V-8 with some rockwells.. on some XMLs :driving:
That sounds like me, But a pre-fabbed chassis...

there isn't enough xj left to make a trugy, whcih is sad

Sure there is, Check this out!

P1010059.jpg

The previous owner took what he could (stymied by the rusty screws) so really all that's left is the slightly cracked center grille and the headlight buckets. Assuming I can get past the rusty screws myself, JeepCo is welcome to it.

As far as I know, the engine was not built by the big 3, but a smaller speed shop in California. Hopefully I'll know more tomorrow when I call up the shop that did the install.

Using this cab to build a truggy would be loco-crazy. Especially since it has a Canadian scrap title or whatever they call it (and I don't even have the piece of paper). Plus I'll be gutting and scavanging most anything I can take, either to use, for spares, or to sell. All that'll be left is a cut up uniframe and a broken windshield.

Oh, and we tried to save as much of the drivers floor as feasible so I could have a chance of using some of it to patch the hole in my 90.

Update: Step 2 is complete. Jared brought over a forklift and we picked the carcass up off the trailer and set it onto its new home in the garage. Next step is to bring over the 88 and park it next to the XJ so I can start contemplating what will be swapped over.

Nope. I had a "receipt" that was handwritten by the seller. :deal:

Oh, and I was fortunate enough to get the same border guard lady that I chatted with the day before. She already knew the story and so just did a quick lap around the trailer (checking for stow-away terrorists I guess) and that was that and we were on our way. :D I had more trouble crossing earlier that day with an empty trailer. :dunno:

I would need a title. I can't park a non-regestered vehicle anywhere but inside the garage, and dad gets on me enough already about how often I'm occupying his garage. :(

Although, I've certainly got enough spare parts to build another rig. :D

I am not sure about where you live.. you can use it like an ATV or boat... thats how I argue with the county over my Offroad toys. I pay my property tax on them, and they treat it like they are boats or quads, as long as they are not in a visible state of disassembly over 90 days

Doesn't matter here. Everything has to be out of sight from the street and I live on the corner, so the only place that qualifies is the garage. :(

By the way, a slight update on my search for the specs, I found the installer, who says he might have bought it through this one local store, who says he probably would have gotten it from this one specialty builder, who says that he doesn't remember doing any stroker Jeep blocks. But since I don't have the original papers yet, any part of this chain could break apart and lead me in a different direction. But all hope is not lost, as I can see just the corner of a tag on the block that has the "made in Canada" logo visible. This weekend I need to remove the AC bracket so I can get the info off this tag and then (hopefully) the guy at the specialty builder place can look it up for sure. I can't wait to see my next phone bill. :(

Got the AC bracket off and called the numbers in to the builder. He says they only do stock engines there, but he'd look into finding the original stuff and get back with me. I'm slightly worried, but there's still a chance it was either a special build or that the intermediate speed shop did some extra work to it. One step at a time... :(

Pete did you look at the distributor and see if the retainer ear's have been removed that is a tell tail sign of a stroker. most guys on the stroker web site states that this has to be done to get it properly tuned :brows:. and of course the injectors as well are another source. i have the 5.2l from a GC and she starts very quickly. jamminz.gif

I'll go look at the dist right now. But even if the injectors are different, that doesn't mean anything unto itself. You can perk up a regular 4.0 with better injectors (and apparently kiss your mpg goodbye).

its most likey not stroked :cry: unless the company that rebuilt this can provide the details for ya good luck you may want to check out dino's site and see if there is any additional information that may help there is always that chance that this person may have been lazy to have the Tab's removed.

if thats not a stroker i will throw a $#!& fit on chris....

f* the $#!& fit, I'd throw a law suit on him. that's advertising/selling/extorting under a false pretense that you are getting something that you aren't.

I'm not ready to tear into Chris just yet. There's 3 different companies that were involved with this engine. There's always the chance someone lied to him and took his money. I'm going to see where my phone calls get me and I could always drop the pan and check the crank for myself (not today though, it's supposed to be above 90* again).