Cruiser's Mostly Renix Tips

Wow! Looks like I need a couple gallon of contact cleaner! Thanks so much for taking the time to do this. Onen Question, my fuel pump seems to be running really loudly all the time Could it be a grounding issue at the rear taiil light assembly?

Is you're fuel ballast resistor still in place?
It's the ceramic piece on the drivers fender well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...
On 10/6/2017 at 10:53 AM, Minuit said:

It's real. A small amount of water through the intake will clean an engine.

I mean, don't go dumping a gallon jug of water into your engine, but it's literally like steam cleaning your engine. Ever seen a teardown of an engine with a blown head gasket where coolant was leaking into the cylinders? One or two cylinders are always super, super clean.

Absolutely right Minuit. I apprenticed on all the European cars in the late 70’s and it was standard procedure during tuneups to gradually pour about a cup of water into a running engine to remove excess carbon. 

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, garyweb3 said:

I have an 87 Comanche with a 2.5 engine. Is there anything in particular that would be different in using these tips on that engine?

I believe a majority of them are for the 2.5 also. Just the 4.0 specific you would not do.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 9 months later...
On 10/5/2015 at 5:48 PM, cruiser54 said:

. Coil/ICM contacts

The contacts between the coil and the ICU on your Renix Jeep can become corroded and loose causing a complete or intermittent no-start condition. I recommend the following procedure as a maintenance precaution to insure this is eliminated as a possible cause now and in the future.

The coil is attached to the ICU by two T20 Torx bolts. Remove these two bolts and lift the coil up off the ICU. You will see 2 pins and 2 sets of contacts. Clean both the pins and springy contact pieces with a good electronics cleaner and some fine sandpaper. Squeeze the springy contacts closer together with some needlenose pliers. Bolt the coil back on to the ICU. While you’re right there, unplug the connectors from the ICU and inspect the pins in the harness connector. Make sure
the pins are not retracted into the connector. Spray out the connector and the receptacle of the ICU with the same good electronics cleaner you used earlier. I feel this procedure should be performed at least once in the lifetime of a Renix Jeep.

where is the ICM located?

• 3 weeks later...