• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you plan on driving this thing on the road? Those are not DOT approved.

Yeah I'm passed the point of DDing this thing. I will drive it to the trail though :yes: I do know there not dot approved. :shake:

But thanks to street locks it is hard to tell what's real and not, and in MI inspection is not an issue like other places. :thumbsup:

From some other sites on this issue......

The whole non-DOT approved wheel thing is a bit of a myth. DOT doesn't approve anything, the manufacturers do things to meet the DOT guidelines and that's pretty much it. In the case of wheels, if memory serves all that's required is that they state on the wheel itself the manufacturer's name and the load rating. That's it, if they have those things then they meet DOT guidelines. Manufacturers are afraid of consumers running beadlocks on the street because too many people are too dumb to realize that beadlocks require alot more work than regular wheels. You have to check the bolts pretty often, on some brands they need to be torqued before every trip, which gets pretty irritating.

There used to be an open letter on the Champion Wheels website from the president of the company explaining this stuff. It looks like it may have come down, likely to protect the company from lawsuits when some dummy doesn't check the torque on his wheels.

Show me a law from any state that says beadlock wheels are illegal and I'll happily admit that I'm wrong. To my knowledge no such legislation exists.

They have to go through some inspection process and some other stuff to become DOT certified... rather a hassle to do.. When I asked them about running them on the street the guy said that a cop or whomever would have pull you over and look for a DOT sticker or stamp to prove that it wasn't OK... likelyhood of that happening?? zilch..

That's all well and good, I run Hummer beadlocks on my old truck and used to drive it on the street all the time with no problems either. Many people in my club run beadlocks on trucks that see occasional use on the road, but none of them use them as daily drivers, a beadlock is just not really suited to DD duty. I have a freind that ran Stockton beadlocks on his Blazer and popped bolts regularly, he had to retorque the bolts before every trip. Granted, the Stocktons were likely not as good of quality as the Walker Evans wheels; all I'm saying is, true beadlocks are an awful lot of hassle just to get the beadlock look. How many tire shops will mount tires to your beadlocks? Would you even trust a tire store to do it correctly? I wouldn't...

If one's choices come down to a traditional chrome wheel and a beadlock wheel, chances are the looks of the wheels are the most important thing to the buyer. If the beadlock was required for the intended use then the traditional chrome wheel wouldn't even be an option. Look up the KISS principle.

Some new rock lights for the rig, thanks to a special little something I keep warm at night. ;)

Your dog bought you lights??? :rotfl2:

Sorry I couldent resist, can't wait to see pics with the new tires and wheels jamminz.gif

Umm I don't have a dog anymore gave it a way a while ago. It was to some and to sensitive, hard to play with. Old people got here now she is doing a lot better there then with my two kids.

I was referring to a special little someone from whom I got them from :rotf:

Did some wheeling yesterday as well, in my 2wd beast, did pretty well. :rotfl2:

Was up at Rocks and Valley's Offroad Park, where the Ultimate Adventare had went to on their trip this year. jamminz.gif

http://www.rocksandvalleys.com/

I just watched a YOU-TUBE video of you in a mud pit!!! LOL I recognised the "flapper" hanging from your bumper and the missmatched rims... I'm no fan of mud pits, but it looked like you had a good time slipping and sliding with mud and dirt flying off the back tires. At first I thought you might have lost your front axle.. then I realized it was 2WD.

CW

Did some wheeling yesterday as well, in my 2wd beast, did pretty well. :rotfl2:

Was up at Rocks and Valley's Offroad Park, where the Ultimate Adventare had went to on their trip this year. jamminz.gif

http://www.rocksandvalleys.com/

I just watched a YOU-TUBE video of you in a mud pit!!! LOL I recognised the "flapper" hanging from your bumper and the missmatched rims...

CW

Yeah guy's kid took that, and if you listen close he said I cheated in the end. :rotfl2:

Got a little something else today for the front 44 in the new rig.. A Detroit Tru Trac :clapping:

Are you sure that's a True-Track??

Image Not Found

I don't recognise the cut outs in the sides... The ones I have seen and recently installed where completely round on the sides.

CW

It sure enough does now don't it!! The one in my pic was just bought and installed last month. Then last year we did another one. Maybe ours is a newer case design, yours is older??? ...

Anyhow, its a REALLY good diff!!! Very smooth with near locker like performance. Only defeated by lifting a tire.

Good luck with it!!

CW