Change of Insurance for my mj

buxmj

I will try to not make this too long.  I now have insurance for my mj through Progressive because they have insured it for value.  It started by me trying Hagerty, I had tried them a few years ago but they have just recently started insuring 89 and older vehicles.  I went through all the on line questions, and looked like they were going to give me a great rate.  Turns out the vehicle has to be parked in an enclosed garage, something they could have posted during the on line inquisition!  I had insured it with State Farm since I bought it new and in the last 5 years I had been very worried about it getting wrecked and them saying "You have a 25 year old truck, it is totaled".   When I told State Farm that I was looking into changing they jumped right in and said they will write a policy for value but it needs to get appraised.  So I was thinking the appraiser might laugh at me wanting to get my mj appraised since he was a car collector, but he was very nice and understanding.  He said he was sorry that because of not having enough research available he could only appraise it for 7500, I was pleasantly surprised, smiled and said I will take that.  Well State Farm came back and said their collector car policies only cover to and from parades and car shows, something they could have told me before I spent the money on the appraisal!   I do not consider my mj a show car and have not ever had it in a show or parade, but I wanted peace of mind if it ever gets wrecked.  Also, Progressive does not require it to be garaged and they do not have mileage limitations as some policies do.  Hope this is at least food for thought for some and helpful to others. 

Buck

P.S.  The appraiser knew I wasn't interested in selling but told me to contact him if I ever do want to sell, great compliment.  

Good info to know. Something that's always on the back of my mind is Geico totaling mine if I got so much as a dent in the rear bumper.

If only insurance adjusters looked to Craigslist for their numbers :D

State farm flat out told me no on classic insured for 5,000. I have classic plates and have not had any luck with getting insurance. I just took it out of storage for the summer and wanted to start looking again. I quess I will give progressive a call or hargerty (again) mines a 89 also they turned it down last year. SO thinks for the info!

I use Hagerty for a few of my vehicles, they also have a stated value that it is insured for. They don't require it to be parked in a garage, but it raises your rate if it's not. They also state the vehicle cannot be used for a 'daily driver' or running all of your errands. Mostly because it's insured as a classic through them. They allow it to be driven to more than just shows and parades though, you pick the annual mileage you'll need. But to be honest, in 5 years they've never checked to make sure I only drive the mileage I say I do.

I had Geico for 68 a month, they then jacked it up to 206 a month. (I have a clean record. No accidents, claims, tickets or points) So I left Was gonna go with Progressive but they also want 210 a month. Both claiming "Premiums". Beyotch please, its a 1986. Does it look like I want anything premium?.. Just went to USAA at 72 bucks down and 52 a month insurance. I've never had anything other than liability and can't justify paying full coverage on a 29yr old vehicle.

Generally the only reason you would want full coverage or set value coverage on an older vehicle is if it is a collector car (good original condition) or you have modifications done to the vehicle that greatly exceed the "value" of the vehicle.  I plan on covering my little isuzu for at least 30,000.  Not because it's actually worth that, but because of the money I have sunk into it.  The same could be for these trucks.  Dump thousands into axles, lockers, engine, etc, and wreck, you will never recover the cost.  Sure, you could buy the totaled vehicle back and locate a donor to swap what you can over, but it is just a matter of peace of mind.

• 3 years later...

Reviving this thread to see if anyone out there has found a company that will cover an MJ without a list of exclusions.  I was just looking at Hagerty for trucks and SUV's and they consider a brush guard, roll bars and toolboxes; "Extreme Off-Road Modifications".   https://www.hagerty.com/insurance/classic-car-insurance/does-my-vehicle-qualify/trucks-and-other-utility-vehicles

I use my truck as an almost daily driver, but I've dropped some coin on it.  I don't consider it a show truck.  I just wouldn't want to hear, "Sorry, it's 30 years old.  It was nice, but here's a check for $2200".

I had been away from CC for a while because I was crazy busy and just logged on and see this thread pop up that I forgot about.  I switched to Hagerty a few years ago because I got a space back in the garage.  I don't know if it is because of living in Central Florida (weather) that it has to be in an enclosed garage or the state.  I noticed a previous post had said Hagerty didn't require the vehicle to be in the garage.  That is the biggest thing I was worried about was if the mj were ever wrecked that they would do just that, hand me a check with an insulting amount on it.  I would call them if you haven't, they have been very helpful when I spoke to them.  

Buck

Let us know what you find buxmj and others. I've been with GEICO since the sixties. Back then it was open to government employees and military only. This made it convenient when stationed in foreign countries as I mostly was, because the family and I had the same coverage In Japan or Guam or France as we did in the USA. And they had local reps readily available - all was well. After the military I became a government employee still residing in various foreign countries, so I stayed with GEICO.

Then in the mid-70's Warren Buffet et al got involved and soon GEICO had a lizard for a spokesperson / thingy, they started insuring the world, and things started to go downhill. We still stuck with GEICO though, because they still took care of things overseas locally when Ms. Chan or someone slammed into our truck/car/motorcycle.

Still with GEICO after all these years mainly because of the healthy discounts I get. But I have a ton of $$ in my rig too, and I want to at least get most of it back if something bad happens. Will be following this thread closely looking for alternatives for the MJ. 

With my Hagerty policy my mj is insured for 10k, agreed value.  They wanted pictures but didn't need an appraisal.  As far as I remember there are no mileage limits and no restrictions on when and where I could drive it. It has been retired as a daily driver for years but I still probably put around 2k a year on it. I have a neighbor who has 3 vehicles insured with Hagerty and has had good experience with them.  He even had his classic truck parked on the street and it was hit by a distracted teenager and Hagerty didn't cancel him, of course the teenager's insurance paid for it but Hagerty was notified and even offered to help locate replacement parts if needed.  

Buck.

On 4/30/2015 at 2:12 PM, Minuit said:

Good info to know. Something that's always on the back of my mind is Geico totaling mine if I got so much as a dent in the rear bumper.

If only insurance adjusters looked to Craigslist for their numbers :D

When I hit a deer in my MJ and ruined the front Geico totalled it but let me keep it without a salvage title... They also paid me 1800$ :banana: This was 3 weeks after I bought it for 1000$. I love geico.

1 hour ago, buxmj said:

With my Hagerty policy my mj is insured for 10k, agreed value.  They wanted pictures but didn't need an appraisal.  As far as I remember there are no mileage limits and no restrictions on when and where I could drive it. It has been retired as a daily driver for years but I still probably put around 2k a year on it. I have a neighbor who has 3 vehicles insured with Hagerty and has had good experience with them.  He even had his classic truck parked on the street and it was hit by a distracted teenager and Hagerty didn't cancel him, of course the teenager's insurance paid for it but Hagerty was notified and even offered to help locate replacement parts if needed.  

Buck.

Good info Buck - thanks. I'll check out Hagerty for the MJ only. Geico is still very fine for all the new(er) stuff. I still don't like that annoying Brit lizard though.  :))

Glad I could help Don, we switched to Geico for our daily drivers, I think we saved 15% or more, lol.  Speaking of savings, the Hagerty rate is great, their mantra is that they like to insure people who are careful drivers, I imagine we drive our classics with much more care and awareness than the normal driver.  

Buck.

On 5/2/2015 at 9:07 AM, Jeep Driver said:

This is exactly why I dropped Progressive and went to GEICO. USAA is a joke. The screwed me when my truck got vandalized. They were so bad I dropped them in the middle of the claim. Good luck getting a fair value of of them if your vehicle is totaled. I am with GEICO now and don't plan to change.

6 hours ago, shelbyluvv said:

This is exactly why I dropped Progressive and went to GEICO. USAA is a joke. The screwed me when my truck got vandalized. They were so bad I dropped them in the middle of the claim. Good luck getting a fair value of of them if your vehicle is totaled. I am with GEICO now and don't plan to change.

I have GEICO and just called them to confirm my coverage after reading this thread. Basically they said that I am only covered for the "blue book" value of the vehicle, which I just looked up to be only around $2,500 or maybe less if someone else is at fault and their company wanted to be cheap.

My truck is easily worth $5K, but I wouldn't sell it (for all the tea in China) for less than $7K.

Is anyone getting coverage up to their actual worth with GEICO?

No. I have Hagerty for my mj and Geico for our daily drivers.  I had Progressive for maybe a year for the mj because they would insure for more than blue book value.  Once Hagerty started covering mjs and I could get my mj in the garage I switched from Progressive to Hagerty.  I tried Infinity collector insurance for a little while (a few months) and it was dirt cheap but would only insure the mj for 5k, even though Hagerty was quite a bit more it is still less than insuring through the big companies for blue book value only.  

Buck.

Several years ago I looked into Taylor's (another antique and classic car insurance company) and found that they won't insure anything with 4-wheel drive.

In January of 2017 I was involved in a fender-bender with my 2000 XJ Sport. It still has less than 50,000 miles on it and it was in nearly showroom condition (to find a used one even close to it in condition would have cost $10,000 to $15,000). My insurance company said it was worth $4,750 -- and the repairs came within about 25 bucks of making it a total. I'm fortunate that I had worked with the body shop before and they bent over backwards to keep it from being totalled.

For those carrying liability only -- I strongly recommed that you carry at least comprehensive. Collision coverage is the expensive part. Comprehensive is cheap, and that's what covers you if your vehicle is stolen, broken into, or a tree falls on it.

46 minutes ago, Eagle said:

Several years ago I looked into Taylor's (another antique and classic car insurance company) and found that they won't insure anything with 4-wheel drive.

In January of 2017 I was involved in a fender-bender with my 2000 XJ Sport. It still has less than 50,000 miles on it and it was in nearly showroom condition (to find a used one even close to it in condition would have cost $10,000 to $15,000). My insurance company said it was worth $4,750 -- and the repairs came within about 25 bucks of making it a total. I'm fortunate that I had worked with the body shop before and they bent over backwards to keep it from being totalled.

For those carrying liability only -- I strongly recommed that you carry at least comprehensive. Collision coverage is the expensive part. Comprehensive is cheap, and that's what covers you if your vehicle is stolen, broken into, or a tree falls on it.

I haven't had just liability ever since the time my brother hit a deer in his Sentra and had to pay 900$ just to get it back on the road... Thankfully with Geico I can afford full coverage on my Sentra and Jeep. Being only 21 and not married, my insurance rates are ridiculous. I preach to my whole family that they need at least Comprehensive

1 hour ago, Eagle said:

My insurance company said it was worth $4,750

This type of situation is what prompted me to revive this thread. I have a similar story, but it was the other drivers insurance company that needed convincing.  The fact that their insured was cited and their adjuster agreed my vehicle was pristine before the crash, they sweetened the settlement. 

10 hours ago, Knucklehead97 said:

I haven't had just liability ever since the time my brother hit a deer in his Sentra and had to pay 900$ just to get it back on the road... Thankfully with Geico I can afford full coverage on my Sentra and Jeep. Being only 21 and not married, my insurance rates are ridiculous. I preach to my whole family that they need at least Comprehensive

But comprehensive won't cover you for hitting a deer. That's a "collision." Comprehensive is for non-moving type stuff -- fire, flood, theft, tree falls on the roof -- that sort of thing.