top two transmission bolts

How the heck do i remove the top two torx bolts on the top of the transmission?! I want to leave the engine in. i have read on a couple different post that they are E12? I don't think a socket wrench will fit between the firewall and back of the engine. I already have the cross member out and the trans and TC on a tranny jack. 

Lots of extensions or a couple real long ones and a wobble or universal joint and lower the motor. Make sure your on it good and square before you try to break it loose. Also do not put them back in just go get standard hex heads at the hardware. I got my socket at advance auto. Someday I want to get that wrench.

I had to loosen the motor mounts on mine and drop the transmission bracket then jack up the front of the engine in order to get enough room to get a socket in there. Needless to say those external torx bolts aren't going back in.

Don't be afraid to lower the transmission to get at the E-torx bolts.  You have to anyway to get the bellhousing to clear the body transmission tunnel.  The front engine mount is in the middle of the engine and will hold the engine at an angle without support without breaking anything.  The only problem is not having your MJ jacked up high enough so that the angle of the dangle will clear everything when you pull the tranny out.  Don't go overboard with the angle but clearing the transmission tunnel gives you plenty of room to get at those bolts.  Good luck.

I have been pumped up about this clutch change for almost a week and now that i am getting into it, its becoming a pain in the rear. i was figuring a few afternoons and i would be doing donuts in the pasture. i was worried about these bolts. now that i know i can lower the trans down without hurting the motor mounts. i am gonna try it tomorrow and i will let you guys know.

• 1 month later...

I found it easier for myself to use a couple of long extensions, and a u-joint with a torx socket by removing the shifter, lowering the trans down, and swearing a lot.  Whenever I tried from underneath I could never quite reach them.  To each their own, but the bit about angling the trans down is very helpful.

Granted, I have the 2.5, but I've had three transmissions in my truck and I've had no problem swapping them.

I have no idea what you guys are cursing and swearing about?

And I'm about to do it again.

Don't have the E12bolts?

they ended up being the E12 torx. i used two ten inch extenstions with a wobbler then one more ten inch extenstion and one more three inch extenstion. i had to use a long stick to control the socket. all those extenstions put me in line with the trans and T/C. 

just loosen your motor mounts and use a jack under you T/C to lower it down a  bit and you should be able to see them. 

BE CAREFUL!!! i have read they are easy to strip. just go slow and take your time.

Granted, I have the 2.5, but I've had three transmissions in my truck and I've had no problem swapping them.

I have no idea what you guys are cursing and swearing about?

And I'm about to do it again.

Don't have the E12bolts?

No, of course not.

But I have dealt with worse.

I have patience with such things....so I'm told.........and apparently most folks do not.

I also have an impact.....three of them......and air ratchets......and a $#!& load of tenacity :)