The sleeper Jeeper STREET COMANCHE #59

it sure sounds cool, but my experience with AWD is that it's just more weight to drag around.  MJs just don't make enough power to warrant it, and any weather where you need it is weather you shouldn't be driving a nice MJ in anyway.  a posi rear axle should be all you need to avoid a peg leg burnout.  :thumbsup:

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 249 is a pile. The vicious coupler goes out all the time and they cost more than a transfer case to replace. The 242 is a good transfer and will work fine. Good luck finding a D35 for the front.

Why would you want to do this to such a rare truck? Get a different truck to rice out.

I was looking into it, I agree, the 242 is what I'll get. And the point of the truck is to be a good driving truck. It's a street truck so awd wouldn't hurt the reputation of it. Ricing it? Like a civic? That's not what I'm doing. And the truck will be getting a hemi down the road so I'm not worried about not having enough power. I have a d35 front already. Hot it off of a parts wagoner awhile back. It was custom

it sure sounds cool, but my experience with AWD is that it's just more weight to drag around. MJs just don't make enough power to warrant it, and any weather where you need it is weather you shouldn't be driving a nice MJ in anyway. a posi rear axle should be all you need to avoid a peg leg burnout. :thumbsup:

Oh I don't need ut for weather. I live in so Cal, but it is going to be purely for handling and as I said it will have a hemi one day

With everything you are planning for this truck, I agree with Bo. For the limited numbers that no doubt shrink each year of the original 100 Street Comanches, why would you want to do anything more to it than what was either already there or slight upgrades to do away with troublesome components? There's no way to authenticate a real Street Comanche other than the plaque on the glove box. The Archers sold the body kits years ago, Quickor made the suspension components, and a handful of other aftermarket parts were added to the truck originally. The only thing that makes this truck special from any other Comanche that could've gotten the same treatment is that little dash plaque that was put there by the dealership who made them what they are/were.

Granted, what you're suggesting for future plans for the truck are all bolt-ons and could be undone. For that matter the transmission and suspension are already not original... but they can only be original once anyhow. How unoriginal things get is up to the current owner (or caretaker in the case of a rare vehicle like this) but keep in mind that the next owner just might want to go back to 100% what it was and the further from original that it is the less likely that it ever will be again.

If what you're looking for is a street truck to cruise around in, then I agree that there are plenty of good candidate Comanches out there that are probably even in better shape than what you already have. Hell, I would straight up trade you for MY RUST FREE '89!... put back on stock suspension, of course. Actually, it would probably be easier to do everything that you're planning as it's already mostly stripped down! Half of my truck is in primer so it'd be perfect candidate for a little body work and a full respray in whatever color, the underhood wiring needs to be cleaned up or cut out to make room for that big HEMI, and the interior is currently gutted too. A blank canvas!! Honestly, PM me if you'd be interested. That is a serious offer.

Pretty much, street trucks are awesome and I'm the same boat as you that I'd love to be able to finish mine! However, the difference between mine and yours is that I have plans of building a Comanche for the street as yours is already a Street Comanche... and there's a huge difference between the two.

Well I do agree that Comanche is rare, I feel the direction he wants to go is fine. Not every truck needs to be the same, and I hate to see "Factory restore" jobs of ANY car or truck. Lame. The factory already did it, do something different. 

If I understand him correctly, It's going to be like a GMC Syclone. All wheel drive, street performance truck. With a Stroked and boosted 4.0, that would be cool. With a HEMI, that would be real cool too. My concern would be seeing it taken apart for the build, and money or interest fade away.

Admittedly, I don't know how well a "Street" Comanche would perform. There are issues with these truck and speed. I don't think I'd trust any MJ over 80MPH. And these trucks are so light in the rear, Chrysler had to implement a self adjusting brake proportioning valve in the rear. Some work should be done to allow better handling. rear sway bar, better shocks (maybe even locations), adding weight to the rear (heavy metal bumper, rear mount battery,,), to even out the foot print. 

Adding a heavy HEMI engine in the front will cause handling issues too. It would be awesome to drive though, the power to weight ratio would be insane. Thats where you would NEED all wheel drive, cause that would be down right scary in 2wheel drive. 

• 3 weeks later...

I DO get the puritan approach to something as rare to come across as the Street Comanches.

I think mine will stay "mostly" as it came but I'm sorry some things just need improvement after nearly 30 years....

I've already scrapped those stupid Centerlines.

I'm also considering some other alterations (or adulterations, as your opinion flows) such as a built 8.8 w/ disc's on the rear and a snow white/red and graphite interior theme.

Blacks on the exterior I'm thinking strongly of trying to do a "black chrome" finish on.

Exterior paint... maybe Colorado Red with some gold candy on top just for a sheen...

I hate the flat back "broke kid in high school" look of all the trim on her at the moment. (no offense to broke kids in high school, lol.  I was one of those once...)

But I don't think that polished stainless is what I'm looking for on the exterior either.

The grille in mine is that round tube grille.  Black Chrome would look GOOD on that once it's sandblasted and prepped.

Thinking of shaved door handles / remote entry as well...

I'm sitting on stock that's what I plan to use to fund the ressurection of #24.  Push the Dow for me guys... if the Dow goes over 20k, it sells by default and the broker will let me know.  Otherwise I'll have to push the button manually at whatever price it's at sometime in the next couple of months.

A guy on the AMC list sent me a note the other day.  Novak is building a "new" AX-15 with all the newest bells and whistles installed.

It should tolerate the stroker that's going in fairly well and solves problems that I was chewing on re: an M5 out of a Colorado.

But with the stroker pushing up close to 300hp, there HAVE to be some upgrades in the drivetrain, or why bother with the horsepower?

Purity is virtuous.

But I'm lookin' to raise a little ruckus!

I'm just old, not dead....yet...<wink>

I DO get the puritan approach to something as rare to come across as the Street Comanches.

I think mine will stay "mostly" as it came but I'm sorry some things just need improvement after nearly 30 years....

I've already scrapped those stupid Centerlines.

I'm also considering some other alterations (or adulterations, as your opinion flows) such as a built 8.8 w/ disc's on the rear and a snow white/red and graphite interior theme.

Blacks on the exterior I'm thinking strongly of trying to do a "black chrome" finish on.

Exterior paint... maybe Colorado Red with some gold candy on top just for a sheen...

I hate the flat back "broke kid in high school" look of all the trim on her at the moment. (no offense to broke kids in high school, lol.  I was one of those once...)

But I don't think that polished stainless is what I'm looking for on the exterior either.

The grille in mine is that round tube grille.  Black Chrome would look GOOD on that once it's sandblasted and prepped.

Thinking of shaved door handles / remote entry as well...

I'm sitting on stock that's what I plan to use to fund the ressurection of #24.  Push the Dow for me guys... if the Dow goes over 20k, it sells by default and the broker will let me know.  Otherwise I'll have to push the button manually at whatever price it's at sometime in the next couple of months.

A guy on the AMC list sent me a note the other day.  Novak is building a "new" AX-15 with all the newest bells and whistles installed.

It should tolerate the stroker that's going in fairly well and solves problems that I was chewing on re: an M5 out of a Colorado.

But with the stroker pushing up close to 300hp, there HAVE to be some upgrades in the drivetrain, or why bother with the horsepower?

Purity is virtuous.

But I'm lookin' to raise a little ruckus!

I'm just old, not dead....yet...<wink>

Thats good to hear, I was considering a stroker but I saw some flags. First off I saw a forum I think on NAXJA where there was a small community of guys who had strokers and all they were saying was the strokers werent lasting up to 20k miles. Depending how large of a stroke you are planning might vary that. But, since mine is a daily driver I am not gonna risk an engine blowout every other year. Thats too much for me. Instead I am going to do some research and look into building a high horse engine thats relatively 4L. I know it can be done. All I am planning on keeping is the block if it is in good condition still. But, all new internals and I am looking to get close to the amount of power as those strokers but as you all know there is no replacement for displacement. 

A stroked 4.0 when done properly, is just as reliable as stock. Just ask Hornbrod.

I'd wager that most of the stories you've read are from people who assembled their own from junkyard parts. The concept is mostly just an AMC 258 crank in a 4.0.

A stroked 4.0 when done properly, is just as reliable as stock. Just ask Hornbrod.

I'd wager that most of the stories you've read are from people who assembled their own from junkyard parts. The concept is mostly just an AMC 258 crank in a 4.0.

I haven't looked into hornbrods, but I certainly will now thanks for the info. It'd going to be awhile before I am ready to do that anyway do I haven't heavily done any research on it.

Agreed, they've GOT to be done right.  But a "done right" should last just fine I would think.

I think Golen has probably sorted out issues they had early on.

But there is a local builder that I've discovered so I'm doing some background on his work.

It's good to have lived in the same place most of my life. 

Makes it easier to find out "what's what" with local services.

I just heard too much bad about Titan to trust them.

And Lee Hurley is just too proud of his work for me to afford. 

He's an undisputed master of the craft, but I just can't afford him.

If the local guy turns out to be someone I know or can verify the rep of, I'll use him.

Otherwise I'll probably resort to a Golen.

I'll have to read up on Hornbrods experience.

Been out of the forums for quite a while.

All this life keeps getting in the way of my piddling....

Agreed, they've GOT to be done right. But a "done right" should last just fine I would think.

I think Golen has probably sorted out issues they had early on.

But there is a local builder that I've discovered so I'm doing some background on his work.

It's good to have lived in the same place most of my life.

Makes it easier to find out "what's what" with local services.

I just heard too much bad about Titan to trust them.

And Lee Hurley is just too proud of his work for me to afford.

He's an undisputed master of the craft, but I just can't afford him.

If the local guy turns out to be someone I know or can verify the rep of, I'll use him.

Otherwise I'll probably resort to a Golen.

I'll have to read up on Hornbrods experience.

Been out of the forums for quite a while.

All this life keeps getting in the way of my piddling....

Awesome, we'll if you get to researching before I do I'd like to hear what you find. Maybe even start a new forum about it if you find someone or something. Maybe a discussion about reputations of different companies would be helpful for a lot of us.

Basic Hesco 4.6 stroker installed in 05, when they were still affordable, less than $3K installed. Still going strong and stronger after lots of bolt-on mods. You get what you pay for. Go to the strokers forum to read horror stories about the other builders, including the Mom and Pop shops. If you search real hard, you may find some good stories too. 1998xjome, you have a lot to learn grasshopper.

http://www.jeepstrokers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=387

Basic Hesco 4.6 stroker installed in 05, when they were still affordable, less than $3K installed. Still going strong and stronger after lots of bolt-on mods. You get what you pay for. Go to the strokers forum to read horror stories about the other builders, including the Mom and Pop shops. If you search real hard, you may find some good stories too. 1998xjome, you have a lot to learn.

http://www.jeepstrokers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=387

Trust me I know I have tons to learn. The first couple jeeps I built were nothing special, no special edition, no special parts just all the bolt on parts I could get my hands on. This comanche I have is my first really in depth project. I know I've got a far way to go, I'm still trying to grasp the whole thing where a car isn't custom till it's something not everyone can have. But trust me I try not to be condescending towards anyone because I know basically everyone on this forum knows better than I do.

Just chiming in to say that is a great and huge project you are taking on and good luck.  Also, I am in the same boat as you, I feel like I know so little compared to so many on this forum, but it is so nice knowing you can get input from others without getting the idiot treatment.  

Buck

Just chiming in to say that is a great and huge project you are taking on and good luck. Also, I am in the same boat as you, I feel like I know so little compared to so many on this forum, but it is so nice knowing you can get input from others without getting the idiot treatment.

Buck

I have read up on your 92 eliminator, that's a rare truck as well. I'm having crisis with it because I want to make mind special, really make it mine. But, I know nobody would buy it afterward and the whole forum would be down my throat about it. But good luck!

I think you are thinking of someone else.  Mine is an '89 pioneer, the only rare thing about mine is that I am the original owner.  I have wanted to put a stroker in mine someday but am leaning towards just beefing up the original engine.  It still has great power even with 254k on it and I don't want to change the engine unless I have to.  I know I can have this engine stroked out but don't want it to be down that long even though it isn't a daily driver.

Buck.

I think you are thinking of someone else.  Mine is an '89 pioneer, the only rare thing about mine is that I am the original owner.  I have wanted to put a stroker in mine someday but am leaning towards just beefing up the original engine.  It still has great power even with 254k on it and I don't want to change the engine unless I have to.  I know I can have this engine stroked out but don't want it to be down that long even though it isn't a daily driver.

Buck.

It seems like the build thread on one of my other jeeps would be helpful. I didnt want to stroke it so I beefed it up like your saying with tons of bolt ons. Here is a list:

Mustang bosch injectors 24LB

knn cold air intake

knn intake box

engine is tuned for 91 octane but can be tuned to any octane level.

e3 diamond fire spark plugs

msd ignition system

Banks high flow titanium plated steel headers

fully custom hand built banks/flowmaster/magnaflow exhaust

repositioned front o2 sensor for ease of reach and moved out of harms way

banks downpipe

optima yellow top battery

new water pump and belt tensioner

With all this done, I compared it to my comanche which is basically stock accept for new injectors. The cherokee on 31's and having 4:10 gears with atleast a thousand pound increase has better throttle responnse, better MPG and is quite a bit faster. I would estimate about 250HP after all those upgrades and the torque curve is immense. And as most of you know the throttle response and torqiness of these 4.0 is better than any engine out there. 

No way that is 250 with bolt ons. More like 220 max, if that. You don't get the full advertised power out of every bolt on mod.

But Bo, he has e3 diamond fire spark plugs! That's 35 HP right there. 

OP, get it dynoed. You'll be disappointed.