Rusted Out MJ

xjrev10

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I did my glove box investigation, I found that the last owner owned it since 2002.

I'd be willing to bet I'm the 3rd owner. I wish the uniframe was in better condition, I'd drive it. Just not safe and pretty much impossible to fix to be safe for the highway again..

• 4 weeks later...

New content for the Rusty MJ thread!!

Neohic sent me a link to a MJ that was close to me for $300. I didn't have the need or time to go pick it up so I forwarded it too a friend of mine whom immediately called and set up a time for pickup. Well.... It was junk. Few good parts where harvested and some more put out to pasture for a rainy day.

First the MJ cracked in half when he was moving it around with a skid steer....So we helped it along.

And..

I needed a driveshaft. (Too long for my 8.25..)

And the elusive factory gas tank skid. Rusted to heck but should be EZ to fabricate.

NOTE:

No MJ specific parts worth keeping where injured in this spectical. Including the DS tail light.

Do MN and the other rust belt states that have annual inspections check for excessive frame rot? Can they fail a rust bucket for being too rusty? I wouldn't want to be driving behind that thing or others like it when they decide to split apart. 

Also,

The owner of this last comanche featured, now owns the original star of this thread also. :)

Ha! I sure hope he doesn't plan on making one good MJ out of these two. Hell, probably not even enough good steel left between the two of them to make one good one!  :laughin:

I have seen three separate MJs in junk yards around here, all broke in half betwen the box and the cab. My trail truck is currently parked (and has been for a while now) awaiting repairs to fix the frame in the same spot. Driver side is still solid, but the passenger side ripped top to bottom, across the bottom and back up to the top on the other side. Only the top plate is still intact. Seems to have rotted from the inside out and broke it when I bottomed it out on a boulder.

Enough with the babbling on about rusted out MJ's.........

I wanna know more about the '58 Apache Airport Limo in the background.......... :D

I agree.  When I saw this picture, my eyes were instantly drawn to it.  Thanks for letting me know what the heck that thing is.

Enough with the babbling on about rusted out MJ's.........

I wanna know more about the '58 Apache Airport Limo in the background.......... :D

I don't remember him saying that it was a airport limo... It's got a different name. I think there is less then a dozen in existence and this one was intercepted on its way to the scrap yard by the owner. Maybe he will chime in with a little more insight...

Do MN and the other rust belt states that have annual inspections check for excessive frame rot? ...

It's a terrifying thought, but we do not in MN.

nothing here in MI either.  I for one am happy about it though.  I've seen the rust-naxis at work in other states and would never want to deal with that legislative crap. 

Do MN and the other rust belt states that have annual inspections check for excessive frame rot? ...

nothing here in MI either.  I for one am happy about it though...

I wish that there was at least some kind of inspection... even if it were only when every few years. I think it'd keep a bunch of the scary crap off the roads. When I was working in repair you wouldn't believe the vehicles that some people would drive up in!  :eek:

In Manitoba, you need a safety inspection every time you change owners (unless you're selling it to family or it it's part of an inheritance). This includes rust, but it doesn't catch all the vehicles out there. As long as it's still owned by the same person it won't ever need an inspection, even if it sits unused/unregistered/uninsured/rotting in a field for a very long time.

In Saskatchewan it's a little bit better but also much worse, because vehicles only need inspected when they're brought into the province or if they haven't been registered for I think a period of five years (but I could be wrong about the exact length of the period). They do however do these "sweep the street" check stops where they inspect vehicles and pull them off the road if they've got too many issues, which is better than what happens in Manitoba (nothing). I don't know if they actually check for structural rust, though... I've never actually seen one of the stops, I just keep hearing about them. Maybe cause I've got 'Toba plates still... but at any rate I don't know how intense an inspection could get at a traffic stop. A buddy of mine got an early 90's Civic pulled off the road in one of those stops due to rust in the fenders, a crack in the windshield, and an exhaust leak. He did have the opportunity to fix the issues, but it wasn't worth it to him.

nothing here in MI either.  I for one am happy about it though...

I wish that there was at least some kind of inspection... even if it were only when every few years. I think it'd keep a bunch of the scary crap off the roads. When I was working in repair you wouldn't believe the vehicles that some people would drive up in!  :eek:

problem is the government takes it too far.  ANY rust becomes "bad" rust, even if it's just a fender.   :fs1:  all of my MJs would have been hauled away if I lived in (I think) Massachusetts because they would never have passed inspection.  :(   

I bought a 99 XJ in Mass for $400, it failed inspection because the airbag light was on and the check engine light was on.

I tightened the gas cap and brought it to the emissions test it needs to have for permanent plates in CT and it passed. Done. Maybe I'll get around to finding out what's wrong with the airbag or not.

Pennsylvania doesn't allow any visible rust, They have vehicles on the road just as badly rusted as the ones here in Ohio, Difference is they get a yearly $179 Maaco paint job, or they have aluminum panels riveted over the fenders to hide the rust behind.

The Purple People Eater is a typical example of a truck that came from Pennsylvania (Pittsburgh, to be exact): paint over bondo over rust. They never fixed the rust, just bondo'd over it and covered it up with a new layer of paint.

Ontario is about the same as Manitoba. Any vehicle bought used from a person other than a family member needs to pass a safety inspection before it can be plated. What all that inspection entails, I do not know. Never bought a car in Canada that didn't come from my parents....