Rusted Out MJ

xjrev10

I think if I remember right, Ontario also required reinspection every couple years?

Either way, enough vehicles fail inspection for seemingly bogus reasons in MB and SK (like the passenger side sun visor's missing... true story) that everyone complains about the inspection and the government sticking their noses where they don't belong, even if they fail for serious problems. And in the rural areas where enforcement isn't as severe, that often leads to the crapcans running around with no registration or insurance... you can't always fix stupid. I'm mostly okay with natural selection, but when it could also select an innocent bystander? not so much...

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think yearly inspections are a great thing. :D  Thank god i don't have to deal with anything of the sort. :D :D

But seriously, every single one of our (family) cars would fail even the most basic of inspections, guaranteed. BAD rust, emissions, non functioning equipment, leaks, you name it. The problem is what if you can't afford to buy a better car? For us, the only cars we can afford are the ones that are already rusted out and run down. :(  Does the state buy the car from you or are you just forced to scrap/park it? Obviously you couldn't sell it to a private party, because they would just have the same problem with inspections.

There's always the option of fixing a vehicle after a failure up here, although the question of whether or not it's worth it usually comes up for things like rust. A failed inspection in Manitoba is between you and the mechanic, so you can always sell the car on to some other sucker. However, a savvy seller will get the inspection done before selling (it's good for a year), as the cost of the inspection will be much less than the increase in value of the car, assuming major repairs aren't needed.

The Lada I bought this summer seems to have been a bit of a safety inspection reject, although I really have no idea of the history. The glovebox had two temporary insurance documents good for a week each, three weeks apart, the last one three weeks before I bought it. Both gave the reason for insurance as "seeking safety inspection". There were no failed inspection sheets with it so I don't really know what he had so much trouble with since I only needed to replace three light bulbs and the horn, patch the rear hatch weatherstripping, and reconnect the reverse light switch to pass the inspection...