So I bought this Comanche about a year ago, after a long day of wheeling maybe 6 months ago the rusty unibody cracked. I have begun restoring the jeep and have plans for a whole frame build.

When I was still driving it. 3 inch lift home made bumper.

Floorboards were way worse then expected

Replacing the rockers with 2x4 tubing 

Cut the cab from the unibody with a plasma cutter

Scrapped the unibody, kept the rims and axles

plated the inside of the rockers and removed almost all of the floorboards

Got the passenger floorboard tacked in and that gets the post up to date. I will try to update this as regularly as I can but for more pictures/ faster posting you can follow my instagram @chill_turtle . Have a good day thanks for looking.

Since you've begun building the floor before having a frame in place.... Am I to assume the frame will be a traditional ladder design and the body will sit bolted on with body bushings between?

You are correct, I will be using the stock long bed wheelbase of 119 and the cab and bed will be bolted to a traditional style frame that will be made from 2x4 tubing. The goal is to run a 4 link with coils in the rear, with a liberty axle i already have, the front link set up I am still undecided, budget will play a big part in that.

If you plan on a 4-link up front, you may find some conflict with the upper arm mounts and your new floor board...... depends on how far below the floor the new frame sits I suppose.  It's initially looking like that floor is low and forward enough to be in the way of where you'd want your upper arm mounts to be.

Spent most of my free time this weekend helping a buddy rebuild his cherokee front axle and other random jeep problems. Today I managed to get the driver side floor pan cut out and tacked in, tomorrow I will start reinforcing the front end and work on new wheel tubs.

If you plan on a 4-link up front, you may find some conflict with the upper arm mounts and your new floor board...... depends on how far below the floor the new frame sits I suppose.  It's initially looking like that floor is low and forward enough to be in the way of where you'd want your upper arm mounts to be.

I never really considered that but at this point I am pretty set on long arm Y-link in the front like this

285558d1170335801-y-link-measurements-ak

But i plan to have a 1-2 inch body lift for added clearances between the frame and cab, Will this be the first body lifted comanche? 

• 3 weeks later...

Well i broke my phone and lost a good amount of progress pics but ill get this thread up to date.

Bought a xj that had an electrical fire for 400$ gutted the xj taking the front dana 30, rear 35, 4.0 engine, auto trans (forsale) and transfer case.

sold the rear 35, traded my adjustable lift shackles for a rear jeep liberty axle and then I got a new phone I could take pictures.

Cut the frame rails out of 2x3 dom rectangle tubing.

made gussets out of 3/16 sheet metal

got the cab standing on jack stands

lifted the welded frame up to the cab for test fitting

frame seam weld

front dana 30 and rear axle from a jeep liberty, will be the base axles this rig will roll under.

progress will now slow down because I have to take my truck home and work on it there for the winter, during that time I will be working out minor things. I am looking for a new wiring harness for my 4.0. Or plans to make my own. 

I know you said that you were going to work in some kind of body lift, but I'm curious why you put the front crossmember so high. If it were me, I would've taken advantage of the opportunity for making room for a larger radiator. Regardless of going with a stock Jeep drivetrain or not, even the 4.0 could use better cooling. I bet a ZJ radiator would fit your frame with little rework. Even going with a stock unit for mock up and use for now would open up a huge door for future upgrades.

• 4 weeks later...