Gumby Build

hGuLcur.jpg

Idle problem solved! the vacuum line from the throttle body to the MAP was broken. Replaced it, the IAC, and an oxygen sensor and runs and idles much better now, plus no more white smoke at idle. On to the next thing on the list before I drive back to CSprings this weekend. 

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One more thing, your truck looked perfect black and red!

Thanks! Had to go blue though, the matte paint was bugging me. CSprings is a long drive from anything really haha

Love that bumper and grill guard.Who makes it? Truck looks great.Love the blue.Good job.

It's Warrior Products. Kinda pricey but I think it is one of the best "factory" looking bumpers out there. 

http://www.warriorproducts.com/catalog-new/catalog/jeep/84-01-jeep-cherokee-xj-2/bumpers/rock-crawler-bumpers/

• 1 month later...

Added the triangle windows to replace the leaky vent ones. Still need weather stripping but I have much less water running into the truck now! Tried to install the TJ interior shift boot and tore it. It needs to be bent to fit before trying to screw it in as well so I'll have to get another  :doh: . 

Ordered a CrownHD steering kit in my attempt to kill the death wobble. Also I'm looking into the zone 4.5" short arm add a leaf lift. It's only $600 and I would like it to hold me over for the next two years. Maybe once I'm out of college I'll go for the 8.8 swap SOA and long arms but for now this will do! 

Read through your build. I think you have done a nice job. Couple things I would like to mention from experience and advice. 

I like the blue color you picked. I am kind of torn on what color to paint my MJ, it has the late model xj front end lighter metallic blue that was found on later models, kind of want to go with that since there is not much to the cab and bed. I kinda want to do bedliner in the bed anyways. 

You mentioned replacing your steering box, did you replace/upgrade the spacer? Do you have frame tie-ins for your bumper? If your answer to either of these questions is "No", do it! You can pick up both of these items from JCR, Tnt Customs, etc. When I was installing my custom tube bumper on my XJ it was a PITA with the stock spacer. It wasn't broken, but its a tiny amount of Al and they are known for breaking. Ordered the JCR spacer, itaddsan additional bolt for spreading the load and is way more beefy than the stock POS.  

As far as lift I would consider piecing it together/buying used. You will get a better quality "kit". For the front end, XJ parts are plug n pray. And, I honestly see no reason to go taller than 5" and SUA rides way better than SOA. Most people net a min of 5"+ when going SOA. IF you end up at 4.5ish already, depending on the specific setup, extended shackles and such will give you the additional lift necessary. 

Definitely upgrade your headlight wiring harness.. Putco, LMC truck, ARB, custom etc. Even with stock sealed beams it makes a HUGE difference in light output. 

If you ever decide to go with bucket seats, install one of the 97-up XJ center consoles. It looks clean and has built-in cupholders. 

Read through your build. I think you have done a nice job. Couple ......

Thanks for the advice! So the bumper did come with tie-ins but not the spacer. I just reused the old one but a JCR one is on the "to get" list. There is some misalignment with the frame and the bumper tie-ins due to a previous owner hitting a parking pole so I had to stack some washers to get it to mount with the new stock steering box. The plan for the lift is 8.8 SOA rear and Clayton long arms in the front. Due to cash and the logistics of welding and storing the project I decided to hold off on the dream until I move out of the dorms. Essentially the plug and play simplicity of the cheap Zone kit is the appeal, plus, I need new shocks ahah. 

Front right headlight is out so I'm replacing with a Hella H4 upgrade and wiring harness. Plus, never losing the bench seat, I love that style too much!  :rotf:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Welp I've had the truck for a year now and visited the great people at Soft Topper today!

tsmmQCS.jpg

I'll have to find a different tool box because the rails go the length of the bed. It's the same topper they use on the Nissan Frontier interestingly enough. 

D5jg0EU.jpg

Either way it fits great and functions really well. They cut out a "doggy door" that can roll up to allow access through the sliding rear window. 

hWgMVCX.jpg

Also installed the white gauges and blue LEDs. Anyone know if the light behind the temp controls can be changed? Headlights, steering kit, and shifter go in tomorrow!

WBu1jzL.jpg

I freakin love it! It's protection and camping when I want it, and truck bed when I need it. I ran out of light before I collapsed it but I got this picture of it rolled up. 

Ohw8m4N.jpg

So the Novak tcase bracket didn't quite fit and had to be cut some. Top is what I cut out and bottom is the large transmission protrusion that was in the way. I am going to email them about it tonight. Either way, it fits and works fine.

eUEfvNK.jpg

0JTJL0T.jpg

H4 headlights were also installed. OEM harness on the passenger side wasn't getting power apparently so I ran the drivers side harness over and it works pretty good. Fixed my turn signal problem too! I tried to adjust them tonight but I'm gonna take it to a shop cause I think the screws were stripped. Steering tomorrow!   

Here it is with the topper down. It has a boot bag covering it that cinches down. I think I collapsed it a bit wrong which is why it was so big but still looks works! 

td51y5N.jpg

Steering also went in today. Install was very easy. I took off the blue and plastic caps because I don't think they belong there, is that right?? Immediately got it aligned but I still hit death wobble on the interstate!!  :fs2: What more could possibly need to be replaced!

5b7uWdb.jpg

Ball joints, control arm bushings, track bar, axle shaft u-joints

Oh yeah I forgot about ball joints. I'm picking up a lift kit with sway bar links that I currently don't have on, an adjustable track bar, and new LCAs so all that will help too. Pete Bach at Bach Crawlers in Monument CO has a great deal on a short arm AAL 4.5" kit, comes with shocks and all. 

• 3 weeks later...

The wobble has gotten worse.....encountered it 4 times in a 70 mile drive. I no longer can wait to afford the lift kit so I got a new track bar, front shocks, sway bar links, and ball joints. Hopefully this and another alignment will fix it. 

• 2 weeks later...

Installed the ball joints, sway bar links, and new shocks. I have a rhythmic scraping sound from the left wheel which I think is the rotor shield rubbing against something. It gets bad when turning left and goes away when turning right. Can I run without those shields? Will it cause misalignment of the hubs?

The lower ball joints were pretty blown out when I removed them so I think that was the main cause of the wobble. Now I have a clunk back and forth when I turn sharply. I think It might be the worn hubs/bearings after beating them around. I have two new hub assemblies on the way as well as a track bar. Anything I should look for when I replace these items? thanks everyone!