Gumby Build

161 lb-ft @ 1869rpm and 105Hp @ 3673rpm. I was hesitant to run it past 100mph so maybe it had some more HP to give. The graph was going down at that point however so I believe it to be an accurate peak. Any predictions for final numbers after the throttle body, intake, and fuel injectors are installed? I'm guessing a 10-15Hp gain. 

gCePBFh.png

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is the resultant tractive force diagram from the dyno pull. We had to create one using some basic force calculations for a homework project. Rolling resistance and air resistance (again very basic calculations) were added to plot total drag force and you can see the top speed is theoretically in 3rd gear at 103mph (online says '89 cherokees top out at 111mph). Optimum shift points turn out to be: 23.5mph, 43mph, 70mph, and 100mph. Sound about right? 

G2TjIMU.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Had a great trip up to metberry gulch this weekend! Buddy brought his lifted 4runner which did a great job. Weather was perfect, trail was a bit washed out, but other than that, great trip! Here is metberry rock getting back out. 

Also, finished the performance upgrades for my final project by swapping the injectors the other day. Put the upgraded 4hole "703" injectors in. Not sure if noticable difference in performance but the dyno will tell! Idle is still pretty terrible, really low, around 200rpm. 

vQuHUqh.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Disappointing news I actually lost torque and horsepower after the 703 injectors and the 60mm throttle body. It now idles at about 150rpm and will stall when the clutch is let in while moving or coasting to a stop. Sometimes it will "think" and correct the idle back up to a normal 700rpm but then it goes straight back to 150 so I think it may be a grounding issue. I had the TPS professionally adjusted when we reinstalled it and still little change in performance. Next plan of attack is all of the cruiser tips, (which should have been done long ago) Any thoughts?

FfJtsAM.png

• 2 months later...

After some sliding around in the parking lot during all the snow we got my clutch is making a whoosh sound when depressed while moving. It stops when not depressed but there is a new almost grinding noise. I got a new internal slave a year ago and rebuilt the new ax-15 in it. Any thoughts?? It hasn't been loosing clutch fluid either

• 2 weeks later...

Installed 1.25" wheel spacers this weekend. Mounted up great and the rythmic scrapping I had with the black wheels is gone. I really like the look in the front on the stock steelies but the rear could use another half inch or so I think. Also, finally installed my D-ring shackles. Then took it all and promptly went shooting with my buddies. 

MCunmJg.jpg

I used Loctite 242 on the studs from the spacer to the wheel. 

XOHqPBR.jpg

• 1 month later...

So I went ice racing at Georgetown, CO with OurGang Ice Racing. Had a great time and my buddy actually won his category after beating 4 other cars! 

d5Urr6K.jpg

8182Leo.jpg

Sadly on the way home I rear ended him. $8,900 worth of damage later and his car is repaired. Insurance covered all of it but I still felt really bad about it. $600 later and my truck is back good as new. I got at new WP front bumper and basically bent the front clip back in place. The hood was jammed shut and the clip has a crack in it but other than that no horrible damage. I highly recommend getting a burly bumper with the mounting plates! Saved my truck! 

XHuYp5g.jpg

3AkJgEi.jpg

For a $600 bumper it sure doesn't hold up to $#!& that well. Unless you hit him pretty damn hard, I'm disappointed that the bumper crinkled that much. I was looking at getting something like this, but for the money I'll get something else. :shake:  

Agreed. I hit at about 35mph and the bumper took the majority of the load. Frame, radiator, body, all relatively unharmed for how hard I hit. Highly recommend the protection. (Although making one yourself would certainly be cheaper) I bought this one because I knew I couldn't make a bumper that looked that nice so I was willing to front the cash. 

• 1 month later...

So, throwout bearing started grinding, 1 week later the internal slave had quit (it was less than two years old). An external slave swap is in the future for certain. New slave and Luk clutch kit and I'm back on the road. Then, offroading a slight noise comes from the rear end. After a few bumps it turns into a violent grinding. Pulled the cover off to find this. 

FwKaG5h.jpg

3 teeth there

2ATx1Dw.jpg

4 teeth there. All of them were sitting in the bottom of the housing and one must have bounced up and got lodged somewhere, explaining the noise. The carrier also had about 1/2" of side to side play. Time to kill the D35. 

I am leaving Colorado to drive back to NC in a week and there are no replacement MJ 35s around. I called up Josh with SFF Customs in Parker, CO. Two days later he has a solution and fixed my problem. 

xz7DaeM.jpg

Ford 8.8 out of an Explorer! Came with the stock limited slip, and 3.55 gearing. Josh also regeared the front from the stock 3.07 to match. 

OJmW1sU.jpg

He used stock 8.8 ubolts and perches. 

nJMIlaS.jpg

We decided zip tying the load proportioning valve was the best way to go for now. It will be removed later, but the zip tie allows for adjustment for now. 

2GIDXQ0.jpg

Also I have disk brakes now! Super excited about this swap overall. The truck runs much smoother and quieter. I have yet to fully test the limited slip but I'm excited. Overall, excellent job by SFF Customs and would recommend them for anyone! 

• 1 month later...

Repainted the front grill, headlight bezels, and clip. Clip was plastidipped in case I ever want the blue back. I like it! Gonna plastidip the roof next I think. 

fbAANam.jpg

Also, parts from Advanced Adapters came in today. This is for the internal to external slave swap on an AX15. I bought everything from them which was rather expensive but it saved me the time from having to track down or pull parts. I can post the list of part numbers if anyone is interested but if you have the time just pull them yourself. External slave bellhousing, retainer plate, pitch fork, throwout bearing, external slave cylinder, new hosing kit with fittings for master cylinder and pilot bushing. 

Wr8FHB5.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

So while I'm waiting to drop the truck off for the external slave swap I've started cruiser's tips and have been trying to diagnose the low idle/stalling problems I've been having. I've been reading on all the threads with this issue and sounds like there could be about 50 different problems so I'm not sure where to go from here. 

The ground from the battery to the block had rubbed through the insulator and had about 2 inches of wire showing near the vacuum canister. I covered it in electrical tape. Also, the vacuum line from the vacuum motor to the rear of the air box was off so I plugged it back in. Still no change in my idle problem. I have recently replaced the IAC, MAP, O2, and TPS. I do have a 60mm throttle body on from strokedjeep.com, and I did the neon injector upgrade. I also have refreshed all the grounds and electrical connections like cruiser suggested. (all other history on my truck is in the thread) 

Any ideas? Thanks everyone! 

Got the truck back from the mechanic and my external slave cylinder is installed! Shifts great and most importantly no more leaking fluid. Once again, it was the expensive and labor intensive way to go but hopefully I won't have to mess with my clutch system again any time soon. 

qJVqG6D.jpg

45oqWhx.jpg

Braided steel line follows with new fittings to the master cylinder. 

• 3 months later...

Got new AR767 rims and BFG A/T KO2 for the truck! Size 31x10.5 R15 no lift. They do rub pretty bad near the rear of the front fender when turning but I have some flat fender flares on the way that will cut the clearance needed. Truck is sitting with 1.25" wheel spacers in case anyone was curious. I'm not sure the back spacing on the rims however.

G9VDZF6.jpg

G4SUmRT.jpg

Also moved down to Pensacola FL for my first training assignment! Anyone in the area let me know, I go out with Emerald Coast Jeepers every now and then. 

Good looking truck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks! 

Also, got the bushwackers on this weekend. Over all the process was rather simple. The rears are usable like Bob said in his thread "The building of Bucky" however, I did a rather terrible job and my fenders in the rear are rather rusty. I'm not exactly sure how he got his to look so good, but he certainly has much more patience than I :laughin:  Although, I'd recommend if you were going to use these flares be very  very specific about the fitment of the holes and alignment, it will make the final product look much nicer than mine. 

Not sure if I have any plans to repair the rear fender well rust or just POR15 it and hope for the best, not sure if I have plans to try and fix the gaps in the rear either, but for now I think it turned out alright. 

jFdHgnT.jpg

sLrypiO.jpg

An2Px4U.jpg

5Nj8a8H.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Did the euramtec light swap. Very easy, just need a file to open up the slot for the light to fit. Now I need a new door switch so they will activate on the drivers door. 

DWwcyd8.jpg

Also swapped in ZJ parking brake cables to comply with the Ford 8.8 swap I had done earlier. I ordered both driver and passenger ZJ cables and both fit in either driver or passenger side of the truck. Keep in mind my truck is a SWB. I would recommend getting which ever cable is the longer one as the bends prevented it from rubbing on the frame. I still need to adjust the internal mechanism for the Ebrake as pressing the pedal all the way down wouldn't hold the truck's weight on a hill. 

dQQaXL5.jpg

P5X63Rb.jpg

• 6 months later...

Had a great time at Eglin today, perhaps too great of a time....

mSvfQlM.jpg

Ignore our pathetic attempt at ratcheting my truck out 

NAh5A75.jpg

Dave from Emerald Coast Jeepers came out and saved the day! Can't thank him and the club here enough. Drove it home and ready for another trip!