Gumby Build

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Love the simple look of this. The airspeed indicator is just cool. :thumbsup:

Thanks! Your truck is super clean, which is what I am going for. I will put up some pictures of truck with the new white painted steelies in a few days. 

Went up on the Blue Ridge Parkway to take some photos of the truck with the new wheels and herculined paint. Chris and his new Nissan Pathfinder came too. 

nmbkjPH.jpg

wBpJT00.jpg

Also got the pitot tube system installed for the airspeed indicator. The whole thing is just for fun  :rolleyes: and doesn't even work well except for highway speeds, but it does work! 

fnIGPjA.jpg

I gotta see that in action. Try to post a photo or video but drive safe!

I'll grab one when I drive up to Colorado! I just had the idle pulley and driveline belt go bad so replaced those today as well. 

Put some pedals from autozone on today. Because the original pedals are so close together these ones were mounted spaced apart and it helps a lot. I'm not sure if I like the look, mostly because the gas is crooked. I hear they add 10hp though!  :rotf:

AZun95H.jpg

I gotta see that in action. Try to post a photo or video but drive safe!

So it works fine, this was me going 80mph, which should be about 70 knots. This particular indicator is calibrated to a much higher airspeed so it doesn't work to well this slow. You can see the needle jump every time the wind gusts also haha.

Fixed the fog lights!

7AX9hw3.jpg

Also, if you caught it in the last picture, I swapped the flag mirror for the cable style Cherokee mirrors.

Ixg87EA.jpg

Had to drill holes for the knobs since I don't have the factory carriers. 

q3xRvqs.jpg

This will probably be the last mod before I head up to Colorado. 1,496mi......leaving Wednesday, wish me luck haha

Made it to Colorado. Had several cases of death wobble on the way up so that needs to be looked at. It was my Birthday today so I decided to put the AR767s on and change the brake pads then go on my first 4wheeling trip ever. 

This is up Mt. Herman in Colorado Springs. There is a whole network of power-line roads and trails i'm going to explore. 

3O1lbjd.jpg

Didn't think about getting back out of this trail when I went down it. First picture is the right side, second is the left. I had to make a couple runs at it but made it. I was more than worried about breaking something or getting stuck so I say overall great first trip! 

0wuxT6a.jpg

V37cezD.jpg

I just looked into those, mainly Hackett and Metberry Gulch. They look do able, even though it sounds like the bypasses have been removed. Have you ever been there? I have a stock setup except for the tires and it's a daily driver so I'm not looking for anything too crazy. 

Personally I have never done either of them.  But from what I hear they are stocker capable trails.  They seem to be more known for the steepness of the hills then crawling or mud.  Knowing if you can bypass the obstacles I have no clue. 

Hackett

Metberry

There is also Longwater

You could probably hit all three or at least two in one day, being that they are fairly short trails.

• 3 weeks later...

Update, installed new rotors and pads. Plasti dipped the chrome roof trip pieces above the door and installed my new AR center caps. Looks good to me! Still have to do the windscreen trim pieces with Plasti dip. 

tplL2a6.jpg

Went and ran Metberry Gulch in CO today. Overall pretty easy trail until we reached this rock near the end, very steep, slick, and had a deep rut at the bottom. Didn't break anything this trip which is nice too! It is a stock capable trail but only because my sway bar had broken at both links from my last trip.

8QsWdrq.jpg

My buddy Tony came along with his Range Rover Evoque. I will say this, although it does not articulate very well the traction control system allowed it to crawl up everything my Jeep did. It just tends to three wheel more often  :laughin:. I feel Range Rover is still very capable offroad after this trip! 

nn0tu4u.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Full cluster installed today from an '88. Took a while to find the right one. I didn't know the speedo cable connector was different for early model XJs. 

How do I know if the tach was calibrated for the 4cyl or the 6cyl? Also is there a way to change the odometer reading? 

Update, part time light has been on at low RPM after I first went to 4x4 with the new gauge cluster. Anyone know why? 

wIpxRme.jpg

What you doin in my part of town?

Metberry is by far my favorite trail here, mostly because of the camping spot at the end, and the fact that just about any 4x4 can run it.

So do you live in the springs?

Howdy! I go to the Academy so I'll be here for two more years. Metberry was an awesome trail I agree! How are Longwater and Hackett? 

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up an AX-15 already dismantled (this is an earlier photo). Reverse idler gear is chipped, it is internal slave, and not sure if clocking is right for XJ applications, however, for $180 I'd say it is a good deal. Anyone have a particular rebuild kit they like to use? I'm looking at East Coast Gear Supply's. Also, I still haven't quite figured out what the issue with the pilot bearing is.

yk8sz3E.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

So after a tight turn and a tree I sheared my bumper caps off and mangled up the bumper and front fenders. Figured it was time for a little trimming anyway....

New fog light location is kinda stupid but it works  :rotf:

XJGIJVp.jpg

AX-15 Rebuild kit is on its way!

JL Audio 12'' 2ohm 300W

Alpine 4 channel amp 100W + 350W subout

Focal 5.25'' 120W components + dynamat doors 

Kenwood Receiver

It is very well balanced but can be loud when I want it to be :rock on: . The box and amp were mounted up and drilled into the cab to keep them off the floor, and the components fit behind the grills with the tweeters in the usual spot. Overall I couldn't be happier with the setup and I am very excited!! (Keeping with the blue theme in the truck the receiver and amp lights are both blue :thumbsup: ) 

nbINnPR.jpg

0DSbcS3.jpg

5B6HE7C.jpg