The Blue and Black Manche

:dunno:  To be honest I don't see any difference. Lol. As to the flares yah we could work out a trade. Looking for a new or used throttle cable. Or if you help me pick the parts out when I do a four wheel conversion. You can have them. Hopefully with the new bumper...(waiting on it still) will improve the look. They are growing me. 

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

O okay you are talking about the emblems. I was talking about the new bushwacker flares. I don't really like the bushwackers. I was looking at CC members  

Rymanrph

Bushwacker flares and can't tell if those are the original emblems from the fenders or if they are custom or what I would like to to get the same emblems if possible. I do like how they are on the doors. 

• 3 months later...

WELL it's been a while. I have not updated this thread. One of the nice things is you can always come back to your thread and keep updating it. I have done lots to the Comanche. I don't have pictures so I'll just list some of the things. Posting on our one year anniversary! I have owned Jill for a year. Hard to believe she was abandon when I got her. ;)

- Throttle cable replaced

- Winterized package including full undercoat (now that she is a northern truck this was a must)

- new oil pan for the 2.5 I put in

- Comanche club sticker

- new battery tray made of steel

- 6 KC lights installed and wired

- custom painted stone guards 

- new parking lights 

- new headlights

- Comanche decals on doors from Jeepstickers. Love them great person to work with.  

- new side markers 

- A LOT of wiring

- New front bumper (nates 4x4) - I would not go with them again. 

Only pictures I have. Very open to opinions. :P I am not sure if I like the look yet. I turned out interesting to say the least...

Thoughts?  :idea:

Also I bought a donor for Jill and name it Jane. So now I have two jeeps (I am going to the dark side slowly) Does the fever ever stop? I pick it up this weekend. I bought it for 4-wheel drive. I have no idea how its going to work but I have heard the saying if you throw enough time and money at it eventually it will work. Lol.

Donor is a 98 XJ automatic. With a 150 k on it. 3.55 gears. If anyone has an AX5 or an AX15 with a dodge dakota bell housing from 96-98 I would be very interested.    

• 3 weeks later...

Well, fellow Jeepers found out today that you need to have two rear facing mirrors if you are driving doorless the rear-view mirror isn't enough in the state of New York or on Fort Drum. So this was my quick fix 5 dollar take on, take off, a mirror at auto zone. Sticks right inside the window.

The other pic is... be jealous a cast steel battery tray. No more plastic, breakable tray when it's so cold out. Plastic is so bad when cold. Custom to fix that nasty little cavity that we have to deal with. Should look nice once painted. My battery will stop rubbing against my alternator now!

• 1 month later...

The blue and black manche manheim continues.... Hood change and visor update.

Not really sure how I feel on the visor I think it will grow on me. 

The visor looks good up there.  :thumbsup:  I think it would look even better painted the blue body color, as well as the hood. You'll still have plenty of black to offset it; the flares, bumpers, tube doors, and roll bar.

I really when back and forth on the hood and visor for the paint color for the longest time. Guy, I bought it to said he would do it in blue for half price if I brought it back. Though I am worried, I wouldn't get the paint to match up with the current color blue since we did the blue unprofessionally. Black seemed good, so I made the call. Though I do wonder what the blue would have turned out to be. 

As for lift, I have to agree. But really wanted to wait until I get the dana 44 front before I lift it. Though if there is a good cheap lift set up for like 200 or so I probably do it. Lifting it will give it away that she is only 2 wheel drive for now :p 

The hood was bought off ebay. I was very skeptical at first. It turned out to be a pretty good fit. Lined up pretty well. Seller was:

gulfportindustries10 
Link to my sale was here:
I think he makes them.

The flares are bushwhackers. 

Hornbrod I did exactly what you said! Lowes had it all seemed to work out well though. I couldn't get the black caps to fit the screw heads were to big. 

I really when back and forth on the hood and visor for the paint color for the longest time. Guy, I bought it to said he would do it in blue for half price if I brought it back. Though I am worried, I wouldn't get the paint to match up with the current color blue since we did the blue unprofessionally. Black seemed good, so I made the call. Though I do wonder what the blue would have turned out to be.

I understand. I added the visor a few years after it was painted. The guy that painted it matched the body color perfectly. A couple of years later I added the cowl hood. Went back to the same guy for painting and it's a bit darker than the body color, but I guess I'm the only one that can see it because I'm anal that way.  :yes:  You could always bring your painter a sample panel and have him try to match the blue.

• 2 weeks later...

Your local auto paint (maybe Auto parts store that does paint) should have a camera that can take a pic of a nice, clean and flat surface to match. Most things will not be perfect, but better than guessing. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Well, donors have been falling through ever since I have bought this thing. Sometimes very last minute. I finally got my donor today. FINALLY... I have been looking for a long time. I am pretty happy with what I got. 1999 XJ automatic stored for most of its life owned by a little old lady that has had it for 13 years. 90 thousand on it. 800 bucks. Very rusted but the engine and components seem to be in great shape. I don't think I will be able to do the doors, but the engine, four wheel drive, dash, clip, and anything else I can think of will be used for the manche. Also now that I have a donor I can regear my Dana 44 that I got a while back and finally put that in. The end goal would be to have 44 front and rear 5.10 gears we will see though. You know you have an addiction to jeeps when you have more than one. Guess I joined that club. Donors named Jane.

Very happy to finally get rid of the 2.5 though it was a strong runner for the 5 months it was in the Comanche. This be the third motor swap. Four wheel drive will be nice too. It will be nice to have them next to either for the swap. I am not happy however to go from manual to automatic. Not really sure what I would need to do or what parts would be needed to keep it manual. 

I feel really bad about tearing this Xj apart it is so nice and well it drives better than the MJ though I didn't say that out loud. If I ever get rid of the MJ totally getting an XJ. Had so much fun driving this around today. To bad it will never drive again after today. Picutres! 

Now all I need is a Ben of the north to help with the swap! To bad I am in New York. Lol. 

damn is it just me or does the XJ seem clean,...

I pick my donors wisely. :p I waited a year to find one. I am very sad to tear it apart it drives very well if I didn't own the Comanche I would totally drive this. 

I finally got my donor today...

Now all I need is a Ben of the north to help with the swap! To bad I am in New York. Lol. 

All you need is two parking spaces and an engine hoist. Pretty sure they have those in New York.  :laughin:

I have  Jeep problem too, 1 YJ/CJ, 1 WJ, 1XJ, and 3 MJ's (one being a bed donor and the rest of it will be scrapped). I'm just waiting for my Jeep club to stage an intervention, LOL!!

Jerry

If any of you are good with this forum and could link some helpful links for helping me with the swap I would love that. 

http://comancheclub.com/topic/30671-97-swap-how-to/

http://comancheclub.com/topic/45032-97-rear-flares-how-to/

http://comancheclub.com/topic/44587-my-take-on-the-early-model-xj-hand-brake-in-an-mj/