Taillight Lenses

Word of advice - if you find a Comanche in a JY with even one half way decent (not broken is the main thing) taillight - BUY IT! Even if you don't personally need it right now! Even if you already have spares. They're not making any more of them and there will always be someone on this forum, like you, looking for a replacement!

Forget the whales and the trees and all that other stuff. We've got to save MJ taillights!

Thanks all! Used to be able to order them at Autozone but thats gone I guess. I would have thought Jeep could have saved some money by using same products in their product lines where they could. So I should look in the classifieds here or Fleabay? What mods have to be made for cherokee taillights? Thanks again

I have a passenger side one cracked on mine and was looking for a replacement and saw no one makes them in the aftermarket. I have an idea though which I can follow up on... Their is a Canadian company (really just 1 guy that does this from home) called Klearz that makes mainly clear or smoked lenses for cars, but will also do OEM style. I bought a set of smoked 300M Special turn signal mirror lenses from him and he was very easy to get a hold of and deal with. The one came cracked due to postage mishandling and the fact they are small and brittle. He immediately sent me out a new set no questions asked. I will ask him about possibly making these and approximate costs. He would obviously need a set of lenses to use for the mold. I only have one set but my truck is not my dail driver though so I may be able to help out there. I'll contact him and find out... By the way, here is the website: http://www,klearz.com

EDIT - This would only be for replacement lenses, not the entire bucket assembly I'd assume.

Alumilite is very often used for casting scale model parts. Automotive, figurine, etc. It is fairly tricky to work with on larger no simple shapes or I'd give it a shot. I just messaged the guy from Klearz so I'll see what he says and reply back here. 

• 3 years later...

If you're on facebook, there's a guy about 20 miles south of me who's selling 3 MJ taillights (2L, 1R) for $25 each. I thought about getting them and reselling them, but I don't wanna make the trip to get them since traffic around here blows and it would take me about 2 hours to make the round trip. Search in Fredericksburg, VA, maybe he'd be willing to ship them.

On 9/5/2017 at 9:19 PM, tugalo said:

Has anyone tried to separate the Dakota or XJ lenses from their mounting base and tried to attach them to the MJ bases?

I've had this same thought. But, I've not seen an unmounted Dakota light up close.