Stupid cold weather! I guess the good cold starts were just a tease...
Drove about a mile and it died and wouldn't start back up my dad opened the fuel filter drain and nothing came out. We're guessing the fuel gelled up.
It idled for about an hour before I took off down the road.
Never had any problems last year and rarely remembered to put winter additive in.
I hadn't at all this winter yet.
So for now, the MJ is still on the trailer, waiting for a warmer day. Which might not be for a while!1c77cb2e9570ee6646175c91be0afd6e.jpg13a96ff278696d384f43ecd6be3a9252.jpg787547ee02522b972013c01439aabaa1.jpg

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Kept blowing headlight/parking light fuse.
Ordered a new headlight switch, that wasn't it.
It was a short from some bare wires behind the header panel.
Rattling that much rub wires raw I guess.

Also, my injection pump decided it wanted to get really loose and almost fall off...more oil leaking than normal!2fc99e4ae60926cfc12c9da7e54d203c.jpg3827292803c44235d1a2d85be66b19b4.jpg34c24ee36c76e8c6e2a01deebde9e9b8.jpg78cc3fde8f02554cde408d26313da0e6.jpg

rust preventative!  Thanks for the heads-up on the wire rub issue.

My wires rubbed here because my wiring harness was just barely long enough and had to be routed this way. Plus the truck shakes so much. That motion d idnt take long to wear a hole in the coating on the wires

• 1 month later...
got a link to it?  need to move that over to epic too.   
Youre the man with all the links lol.

That's Johnj's truck at my house the weekend before I took it out to Bo's in Cali

It's a fun little truck to drive. Quiet and smooth. Not as much low end power as my Cummins but once that turbo lights it's a rocket !

But I still prefer my loud rattling Cummins.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

An upsetting update.... the Cummins rattles so much and I guess there was just enough play somewhere, that the door vibrated so much it started to pull the striker out of the B pillar... so now the door just sits there and rattles while the truck is running...

I'll have to find time to tear into it and fix it...gonna sick to have to repaint that little spot.
Think I'll try TIG welding the crack and adding a bigger backing plate inside.40b8686f7d4f9649414d72b6ad209da2.jpg

you don't need a diesel to have that particular issue.   that sucks. 
I know but I figured since I did the new door swap and moved the striker and welded it in that it wouldnt be an issue for another 20 years. But I bet it cracked at the heat affected area or right where the backing plate ends.

IF you can find a 2door, they have extra bracing behind the striker area.. I pulled the striker area sheet metal off a 2 door for mine and found it.. maybe try that or something similar? It goes at like a 45* angle back towards the rear wheels on an xj.. I'm sure something similar with some heavy guage metal would prevent that striker from moving at all.. 

IF you can find a 2door, they have extra bracing behind the striker area.. I pulled the striker area sheet metal off a 2 door for mine and found it.. maybe try that or something similar? It goes at like a 45* angle back towards the rear wheels on an xj.. I'm sure something similar with some heavy guage metal would prevent that striker from moving at all.. 
Ya. That's what I plan on doing, a thicker backer to cover more area behind there. I don't remember If i made my own this first time or not. Didnt work either way...

• 8 months later...

Hauled about 1300lbs of siding with the baby Cummins the other night. Pulled like a dream.

She has been pretty neglected this past year, I've been busy and havent given her much attention. I need to before winter but don't think I'll get to it.
Got some work to do to my xj to use as a winter driver and tons of other stuff too around the houseafb801b854c7d51ab020d17bdce77529.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

As far as the striker, I know that some weld a piece of thicker metal in that spot. I need to move/fix the stricker on my MJ and it was already welded. Thinking about lining it up better, and just tapping whats there instead of using the backing strap.

• 1 year later...

Hey, sorry to raise an old thread to the light of day again but I was hoping I could get a set of those power steering brackets. I have the same engine in my 82 scrambler and have been wanting to get a hydro boost brakes and power back up and running on it. I've been planning on using a gear hydraulic pump on the accessory drive on the passenger side but down side of that is long runs of hydraulic lines, having to build in a pressure blow off valve and if the pump goes out its special order. 

Thanks a bunch

On 3/10/2021 at 2:39 AM, AKrick said:

Hey, sorry to raise an old thread to the light of day again but I was hoping I could get a set of those power steering brackets. I have the same engine in my 82 scrambler and have been wanting to get a hydro boost brakes and power back up and running on it. I've been planning on using a gear hydraulic pump on the accessory drive on the passenger side but down side of that is long runs of hydraulic lines, having to build in a pressure blow off valve and if the pump goes out its special order. 

Thanks a bunch

Welcome to the forum! We would love to see pictures of that Scrambler. We even have a spot for a build thread on it! @krustyballer16, could you help him out in any way on the brackets?

• 10 months later...