oh gotcha. I'm more familiar with the 4 and 6bt. not sure if this is similar to those. skimmed through your build and its awesome though! hope you get the motor dialed in

I'm not sure how they compare to the 4bts. And thanks.

I haven't been following this build like I should... Last time I saw it was in early 2014...

I just went back through it and all I can say is you have done one AMAZING job.  I'd buy you a beer if you were close. :cheers:

:bowdown:

Thank you! It's far from perfect but that's fine. I use this truck every day so that's fine. I pull a trailer and use the bed like a real truck should be used!

had a little "hiccup" tonight going to dinner and a movie, i had just got done talking to a female friend about her brake line blowing out and then i lose power brakes! so i get where I'm going and trace my vacuum line back to the alternator/vacuum pump thinking the line just came out somewhere but instead i see that the alternator isnt spinning with the motor... but its spinning every once in a while and ive still got power so i decide to drive it home (20 miles) so i get it home and while its running i look at it in the dark and smell burnt rubber from the belt so i figure its locked up.so i shut it off and push the alternator to the side and see that the "tensioner" bolt just came loose and the belt wasnt completely tight. PWEW

oooooo

(ooooooold pic from way back in the build)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi! I joined this site (first post) just to post on your build up! Very awesome by the way i read the whole thing. GREAT JOB MAN!

So i have one of these 3.3's as well. Plan was to swap it into an old 69 International scout i had. Then i picked up a "free cherokee" so i thought i'd install in that. After seeing your build i think I will hold off just because of the work involved and i need the jeep for a year long trip that i plan to be on in the next 6 months.

Anyway back to your 3.3 build.

So I see you are looking for more power.( aren't we all) lol i just read somewhere that someone took a stock governor spring from a VE pump off an early 5.9 cummins and it made a huge difference apparently? Was that you? They said first they tried bolting on the whole pump but it over fueled so they tried the spring. Said it alloud the engine to rev to 3000 rpms. This may help in the hp department??

Also (i'm from Alberta Canada) there is a company in B.C Canada that makes camshafts for cummins diesels and they work awesome. They even made a custom cam for my 600 Grizzly quad and it made a big difference in power.

Anyway i called up Jeff the owner and asked if he could build a cam for me for the 3.3 cummins. He said he was building one at that time ( about 3 months ago).

I'm sure a cam would really wake that thing up.

Also another guy swaped on a bigger turbo and i guess that helped too.

Intercooler would be nice as well.

So ya, if that wasn't you that did the spring swap maybe it's worth trying? And with our dollar so bad and you being in the USA i'm sure you'll get a cam built cheap if you bought it here. Lol

One last thing, what about a you tube video? Do you have or can you make a few of it running and cruising down the road etc?

There really isn't a whole lot of vids on that 3.3.

I'll be following this thread. Take care.

Hi! I joined this site (first post) just to post on your build up! Very awesome by the way i read the whole thing. GREAT JOB MAN!

So i have one of these 3.3's as well. Plan was to swap it into an old 69 International scout i had. Then i picked up a "free cherokee" so i thought i'd install in that. After seeing your build i think I will hold off just because of the work involved and i need the jeep for a year long trip that i plan to be on in the next 6 months.

Anyway back to your 3.3 build.

So I see you are looking for more power.( aren't we all) lol i just read somewhere that someone took a stock governor spring from a VE pump off an early 5.9 cummins and it made a huge difference apparently? Was that you? They said first they tried bolting on the whole pump but it over fueled so they tried the spring. Said it alloud the engine to rev to 3000 rpms. This may help in the hp department??

Also (i'm from Alberta Canada) there is a company in B.C Canada that makes camshafts for cummins diesels and they work awesome. They even made a custom cam for my 600 Grizzly quad and it made a big difference in power.

Anyway i called up Jeff the owner and asked if he could build a cam for me for the 3.3 cummins. He said he was building one at that time ( about 3 months ago).

I'm sure a cam would really wake that thing up.

Also another guy swaped on a bigger turbo and i guess that helped too.

Intercooler would be nice as well.

So ya, if that wasn't you that did the spring swap maybe it's worth trying? And with our dollar so bad and you being in the USA i'm sure you'll get a cam built cheap if you bought it here. Lol

One last thing, what about a you tube video? Do you have or can you make a few of it running and cruising down the road etc?

There really isn't a whole lot of vids on that 3.3.

I'll be following this thread. Take care.

it wasnt me that did the governor spring swap but i saw that...

when i had my pump rebuilt i had him adjust it so it was governed at about 2850...so I'm set pretty close there.

it didnt make a difference really, but i did it so i had more rpms while pulling my big trailer up hills

i saw that colt cams' "stage 3" cam for a 4bt ran about $300-$500. (not sure how much my cam would be) 

how much was your grizzly cam?

i have been planning on running an intercooler but havent got around to it yet. 

i havent really found one that i like or that will fit. 

and with my set up now, i don't have any room to run a bigger turbo without changing my piping around. 

i have another 3.3 that I'm going to build and ill run honed injector nozzles, intercooler, a compound turbo set up and possibly now a cam.

ill throw it in a lowered 2wd comanche and itll be my "fast" truck.

i have an HX35 now but I'm not sure how it compares or how it would work in a compound set up with the stock turbo (my 2nd motor is not-turboed, but still)

and i havent had time or really looked into making a video. i might someday.

its a shaking little motor. especially how solid my motor mounts are.

thats something id do different on this 2nd engine swap... 

Ya as for the cam, i talked to Geoff the owner and he contacted the customer to get some feed back. I'll let you know when i find out more. Not sure what he charges but i guess his cams really wake up the 5.9 and ford 6.0l diesels. He was on one of those tv shows a while back promoting his cams.

Ya an HX35 is what i have on my 5.9 cummins i think. Sounds pretty big but maybe be doable with a smaller turbo spooling it up?

I'm wondering if the turbos on these things are already too big. If they are a generator or bobcat motor etc they'd b designed for full throttle operation all the time.

I haven't researched what type of turbo is even on mine yet.

Not sure what that govenor spring does as apposed to the mods you had done but the guy that put the spring in said it made a huge difference. Sounds like it's very similar to the VE pumps on the 5.9 cummins. Some of the same mods might apply.

As for motor mounts i read that some guys were useing ford truck mounts that were used on their straight 6 engines?? I'll have to look into that.

My Cherokee has 355 gears and i'd really like to use the existing AW4 Auto if i can make it work. I think that will help it out in the acceleration department. More research needs to be done there first though. I think there may be one other guy that tried the auto.

How heavy would you say that trailer is you're hauling? I'm thinking mine wouldn't be over 3500 lbs but i'll be in the mountains lots so i really have no idea how this engine would perform??

I have to rebuild mine completely if i do this swap so i'd be looking at porting the head,maybe stiffer valve dprings etc to gain so hp out of the motor but in the end it's mainly the tourqe i'm after.

Well ya if you make a video towing or accelerating let me know. You Tube is definately short on them.

the turbo that came on mine ( i think its the same on most of them) is a mitsubishi t-something

i don't think its too big. it spools instantly. its pretty snappy for what it is. its not fast just "quick" 

i think we bought a set of first gen cummins motor mounts and didnt think we had enough room to work them in. but i think on the 2nd swap ill use them.

I'm running 3.73 gears in mine i think...with the ax15. 

i don't know if id trust the automatic behind this engine.... 

I'm not sure how heavy my trailer is...its a dual axle 18' steel car hauler... its a little on the heavy side for the truck (and cherokee)  as far as stopping it.

i didnt have to do anything to my motor really. it was basically brand new when i got it. 

this 2nd engine ill have to tear down. its got "sand" in it and is missing a few things anyways. 

Well, considering the AW4 in our XJ/MJ is a very similar variant to the auto that Toyota used in their TT Supra's, rebuilt (maybe even stock pending condition) should handle just fine. Bellhousing/flexplate adapter would be the biggest issue.

I installed a 12 valve grid heater. Just off eBay or wherever.

And I found it cheaper to buy everything cummins. Komatsu was about 3 times as much. But I've got s buddy that gets cummins parts at dealer cost so it's not that bad.

I just bought a cheap $120 complete gasket kit for mine. I didn't have to use any of them I don't think but they all look like decent gaskets.

• 2 weeks later...

Ben told me i needed to add some more pictures.

i don't have anything to add about the build but here's some randoms

very dirty (especially for how much ive got in her)

a couple days later after the dirty picture. i didnt wash her. indiana's weather just sucks and some days are wetter, but clean better than others  :yes:

• 1 month later...