Great work mate, drill a coupler holes in the bottom of the rocker seal panel. Them holes ya filled also let the water out...

Do you work at a powder coater shop lol, looks good...

when I put new rockers on there shouldnt be any water getting in there right? And I work at a welding shop. We have a powdercoat line that I can just throw my stuff in with the production runs for free

• 2 weeks later...

the extra gauge spot could be tranny temp or exhaust temp. i thought about doing the vw tdi but after working on a few vw at the dealership i use to work at i gave up on that, i love your build

I don't really think I need a tranny temp or exhaust temp gauge...shouldnt be under anymore stress than stock really or any hotter. And I've never done anything with diesels before but I've already got a few more Cummins swaps in my head for when I get the money together. I don't think I'd go with anything other than Cummins, just for their simplicity, until I have a complete understanding of diesels. And thanks. Body work should start in a couple weeks.

Anybody know the best rocker replacement panels?

So what's your impression of the 3.3 so far?  How's the power, top speed, and mileage?

Fantastic build!

thanks! it is awesome! definitely has enough power and we could still get more out of it with fueling. i race a '97 ford 7.3 powerstroke 5 speed (turd truck) the other night and got beat by a lot... :/ as for top speed right now, with 29" tires, I'm topping out about 65-68 mph. once i put 33s on it then should be able to get more out of it. and mileage is hard to be exact with right now. i have the speedo gear in the tcase for 33s but with 29" tires its a little off. we estimate about 25% or so. so at that estimate, its around 27-30 mpg. 

• 4 weeks later...

Very nicely done. We need a video! I researched these motors for a engine swap into my Wrangler. They are hard to find. I actually came to the decision of a VW TDI For the fact they are easier to find and the hp to weight ratio was alittle better. The cummins gets my vote for simplicity tho. Not to say your swap has been "simple" lots of custom brackets and such. Again nice work.

Very nicely done. We need a video! I researched these motors for a engine swap into my Wrangler. They are hard to find. I actually came to the decision of a VW TDI For the fact they are easier to find and the hp to weight ratio was alittle better. The cummins gets my vote for simplicity tho. Not to say your swap has been "simple" lots of custom brackets and such. Again nice work.

I'll try to get a video soon.

But here's somewhat of an update... Odometer says 2000 miles but it's actually about 1700 with the small tires. No major problems so far. Still need to replace valve seals but I will do that while it's in the garage for body work. My temperature gauge stopped working the other night,...I just emailed ISSPRO about it so hope they'll replace it. I noticed my exhaust was hanging a little different the other night too. Investigated and found that where the flanged part of the turbo, where the exhaust clamps on, bolts onto the rest of the turbo housing that 3 of the 4 bolts holding it on were gone. So put more in it ans blue locktited it. I still have a very small but visible and annoying antifreeze leak on the thermostat housing. Think it's around the bolt. That will be fixed soon too. Still have my oil leak from the injection pump. Haven't really had any noticeable death wobble since I made all the new brackets. And I got my second steering stabilizer. On the first one, the ball came out of the socket. Still getting good fuel mileage. I've only filled up 4 times in those 1700 miles or so...not bad

Well I was saying how good everything was going and haven't had any major problems and last night driving it to lunch at work, the passenger side motor mount broke. Guess that's what I get for welding it with a little 110 welder. I'm taking it to work tonight to weld with our big welders. I'll take the other off and weld it better when it's in the garage for other work.

• 2 months later...

Great work!  It sucks when you buy something that is supposed to fit and it's not even close!  You would think with the technology out there they should be able to get something where it is at least usable.  Keep taking your time, this will be an awesome truck when finished. 

Buck.

Well it was either Sherman or c-c or whatever and everyone said Sherman worked. Our rockers angle in closer back to front and these Sherman ones were the same size all the way down so we tried to slit it and pull it over but didn't work. So we actually ended up tacking up all the little pin holes in the rusty replacement rockers that were riveted on from the previous owner and we just used the front face of them and made the other 2 sides. So $100 down the drain on junk rockers and the 4'x8' of 20ga. I had laying around was $29 so we shoulda just started our own. But gotta learn somehow.

• 2 months later...

this is the alternator/vacuum pump, CobraMarty. (maybe not the EXACT one I have but same thing)

http://m.ebay.com/itm/191515247074

It is a vacuum pump for my brakes and heat...

And not much of any update for anybody else. I cut some rust out of the fender well behind the flare on the bed, repaired it and my dad started shooting primer. Then it got cold the past couple weeks and it's hard to heat the garage and metal enough to primer so there hasn't been a lot done.

I decided that hood shocks would be nice so I think I'm going to run the red line shocks (I think is the name, like others here have)

I've still gotta track down a front bumper and header panel and get my seat re -upholstered.

Once it warms up it should only be a couple weeks before It's to the painters.

if you are looking at hood shocks, I have been looking at this kit. Its a pretty good deal once you look up the cost of the shocks.....

http://www.prime4x4.com/shop/OffRoad-Gear-And-Accessories/Jeep-Cherokee--Comanche-Accessories/p/Jeep-Cherokee--Comanche-8496-Hood-Lift-Kit-x3514481.htm

Why try to save a dollar or two on an unknown quality product?  Krustyballer16 tried to save some money and work with poor fitting

Sherman body parts and had to do it all over again.

Just buy the known good hood shock kit from Red Line and be done with it the first time.  With all the time and work that has gone and will go into this truck, why try to save $20 on a hood shock kit of unknown quality?  Makes no sense at all in the long run. 

Zebvance, I looked at that set but everyone said they fly open fast. The red line opens then slows down so it won't slam up. I've already got so much money in the truck I might as well do it all quality.

The body panels weren't anything to make from scratch. Just thought it would save some time with the Shermans. I bought a 4'x8' sheet of 20ga. For cheaper than the shipping on one rocker panel!

this is the alternator/vacuum pump, CobraMarty.

It is a vacuum pump for my brakes and heat...

Thanks, I like that.  I thought it was ? oil or water.  Vacuum, umm, I got some ideas for that.

Second that on the Red Line hood struts.  We have a set and they work perfectly.  I have looked at all the hood lift clones and keep coming back to the Red Lines.