... I don't know what else I would do in silver...

A subtle pin stripe along the lower body line goes a long way. Silver and gray hockey stick Pioneer strips would look amazing too.  :thumbsup:

I think about putting the hockey sticks back on but instead of "pioneer"put "Comanche" with the cummins "c" as the first letter. But the guy on eBay that does them hasn't got back with me yet. And that's been probably 6 months ago.

order the decal from him if you can, that's the hard part to get. Then just don't apply the Pioneer wording and go to a local vinyl sign shop and have them make you what ever you want in the same font and dimensions as the "pioneer" wording was.

... I don't know what else I would do in silver...

A subtle pin stripe along the lower body line goes a long way. Silver and gray hockey stick Pioneer strips would look amazing too.  :thumbsup:

I think about putting the hockey sticks back on but instead of "pioneer"put "Comanche" with the cummins "c" as the first letter. But the guy on eBay that does them hasn't got back with me yet. And that's been probably 6 months ago.

order the decal from him if you can, that's the hard part to get. Then just don't apply the Pioneer wording and go to a local vinyl sign shop and have them make you what ever you want in the same font and dimensions as the "pioneer" wording was.

The guy on eBay can do custom stuff I want, I asked him but I want him to send color samples so I can match them to mine.and the local shops around here suck .That's why I'm not having them do the tailgate letters .Looks like they were cut out with a butter knife. But I'll figure something out .

• 2 weeks later...

Ran into a problem...started blowing white (or blueish) smoke a couple days ago. Thought it was a fuel problem but we swapped injectors and fuel pump off the other motor and it didn't really make a difference... Don't know what the next move is gonna be...valve seals maybe. We dropped the exhaust to see if there was oil in it but none...sooooo.. not absolutely sure.And we've asked a few diesel mechanics around and they haven't seen it run, but they don't know for sure either

scratch that. we got it. the new injection pump just needed to be ran for a bit. let it idle and then drove it a couple times and it cleared up. this pump is a lot better running than the old one. throttle response is better. governor is set higher i think, before 2200 rpms and that was about it. now 2400 is the highest i got it and it could probably go more. so much better shifting it at 2200 instead of 1950 or 2000 rpms. its peppier now. 

mounted my hitch this weekend.

and also changed oil. I'm not sure if i showed how my downpipe from the turbo was routed or how tight everything was around there...

downpipe does an S turn from the turbo around the oil filter then back towards the back end. 

off... got v-band clamps on both ends so i can completely remove just the downpipe and leave the rest of the exhaust on. 

downpipe off

looking up.

ALSO... all of a sudden my brake pedal doesnt return all the way up... it stops just short of hitting the brake light switch and the brakes stay engaged just a bit... anybody have any ideas or remedies? 

• 1 month later...

Figured out my brake problem a long time ago... The rod inside the brake booster was too long. Swapped it for a new one, still too long. Finally found another new one where the rod was the right length. No problems since.

I turned the fuel up 1/2 turn.It went up 40 rpms to 910 at idle. I can notice the power gain but it's not much. Blows quite a bit more smoke now though. We turned it up to help gain more power for when we pull my trailer but it wasn't enough to help with that. Once it gets more miles and broke in we will mess with it and fine tune it more

We're trying to find an intercooler for it now. We were told there is a small one that would fit perfectly in my truck but have yet to find it...

This past weekend was the scheid diesel extravaganza so I took my truck and put it in the show n shine. Didn't win either day we were there but I guarantee we had the most people stop and look and talk to us about my motor. We learned a lot and people learned a lot from us. It was a good time.

Look for a older turbo dodge intercooler. Rob (automan) found a Shelby Daytona a few days ago in a junkyard and it still had the little intercooler.

Thay are about 2" thick, 8" wide and 14" long. These are rough estimates though. It could be slightly bigger or smaller but not by much.

Look for a older turbo dodge intercooler. Rob (automan) found a Shelby Daytona a few days ago in a junkyard and it still had the little intercooler.

Thay are about 2" thick, 8" wide and 14" long. These are rough estimates though. It could be slightly bigger or smaller but not by much.

I found some small ones for a bi turbo Saab for good price brand new but I think we're gonna go with something skinny and long to fit under the radiator. But this all might be a project for next year because I'll have go repipe everything and buy and EGT gauge and I've got plenty of other projects going on right now and thru winter. Well see

• 1 month later...

This is such a great build. I am inspired by so many of these stories but I have to say, this is most ambitious and successful I have read recently. I realize I need to dream bigger. I'm also reminded of a quote by F Scott Fitzgerald, which I believe was in reference to Lindbergh's solo flight.  “Something bright and alien flashed across the sky... and for a moment people set down their glasses in country clubs and speakeasies and thought of their old best dreams." 

This is such a great build. I am inspired by so many of these stories but I have to say, this is most ambitious and successful I have read recently. I realize I need to dream bigger. I'm also reminded of a quote by F Scott Fitzgerald, which I believe was in reference to Lindbergh's solo flight.  “Something bright and alien flashed across the sky... and for a moment people set down their glasses in country clubs and speakeasies and thought of their old best dreams." 

wow. thank you! 

its not quite as perfect as i originally wanted but its pretty close. anybody can do it. 

UPDATE:

ive sent my extra injection pump and injectors off my other motor to be gone through. my fuel pump needed rebuilt because it wasnt pushing enough fuel and the truck was blowing white smoke. and i had the 4 injectors tested and only one of them barely popped open. the other 3 didnt pop at all! so they are being rebuilt too. about $900 but itll be worth it. should get better power and fuel economy. 

and just a little info on my rpms and gearing with current tire set up.

235s with 3.73 gears. governed at 2500 rpms

1st gear- only used when taking off while pulling a trailer

start off in 2nd

3rd and 4th gear get shifted through pretty quick

5th gear- 45-73 mph at 2500 rpms...topped out. 

so I'm kinda worried about how itll be when i put 33s on it...

anybody go any opinions? 

How bout a 0-60 time? lol.

about 10 minutes. Lol. But I'm not quite sure. Probably 10 or 11 seconds. I know my Cherokee is "a lot" faster than it and everyone says they'll do 0-60 in 9 seconds stock. I don't even know if I could hit 60 in a 1/4. I've been wanting to take it to the drag strip... Ha.

Haha, So would you say there is still enough power to pull stuff? Or are you wishing you had more power out of the motor?

It pulls my 18' car hauler with my side by side and quads just fine on flat ground but going up some of the big hills around here it struggled. That's why the pump is being turned up. So I have a few more rpms. It probably has some to do with gearing and tire size right now. But I don't have any complaints really. It's awesome to drive. I still haven't had it dyno'd but I'd like to sometime.

I'm thinking about building my other motor and putting it in a lowered 2wd Comanche and making it "fast" 2 turbos, more fuel, injector work. It'll be fun and different.

Haha, So would you say there is still enough power to pull stuff? Or are you wishing you had more power out of the motor?

It pulls my 18' car hauler with my side by side and quads just fine on flat ground but going up some of the big hills around here it struggled. That's why the pump is being turned up. So I have a few more rpms. It probably has some to do with gearing and tire size right now. But I don't have any complaints really. It's awesome to drive. I still haven't had it dyno'd but I'd like to sometime.

I'm thinking about building my other motor and putting it in a lowered 2wd Comanche and making it "fast" 2 turbos, more fuel, injector work. It'll be fun and different.

It would be more than fun and different..... It would be AWESOME!

Indeed! That'll have to be a project for next year. I'm in the process of buying a house with a big enough garage (40'x40', 12' ceiling) so I can do all the builds I want. I've still got the Comanche Chinook Camper to do too...

Just did a 2nd gear boost launch (15psi boost, max) and it was roughly 12 seconds to 60 mph.

• 3 months later...

so its been a while since i updated this....

got my injection pump rebuilt, it helped the white smoke problem but killed my fuel mileage for some reason. 

he couldnt find specifics on setting the pump so he set it close to how another pump of the same size should be set... it wasnt even close. had to turn the fuel way up for it to even pull itself 

so i went from 27mpg (still not that great) down to 24.5mpg. 

i think after winter I'm going to do some more tuning and turn the fuel up a little more. 

i havent done any work on it in a while...still have to get my pyro gauge put in, figure out an intercooler, and lots of other little stuff. 

i plugged my block heater in for the first time sunday...it helped a lot! 

Doesn't sound like the fellow who did your pump is that familiar with the pump.

You might want to talk to Giles at PerformancDiesel.in Toronto, he has a great reputation with the old non computer controlled injection pumps used in the VW and has been in business for many years.  Here is a link to his web site:

http://www.performancediesel.ca/products.htm

Doesn't sound like the fellow who did your pump is that familiar with the pump.

You might want to talk to Giles at PerformancDiesel.in Toronto, he has a great reputation with the old non computer controlled injection pumps used in the VW and has been in business for many years.  Here is a link to his web site:

http://www.performancediesel.ca/products.htm

He wasn't that familiar with it .Seems nobody is. Even Industrial Injection, the big massive company that "all the pros use" didn't know anything about it .But for $1700 they'd see what they could do...so I decided to go with our biggest local tech for $650. He found broken parts in it and it doesn't smoke white all the time now, it just wasn't set exactly how it shoulda been. We sorta fixed that with a wrench and screwdriver...

But there's a couple other places I would try next time when I have the other pump rebuilt.