Seafoam, Good Or Bad?

40 members have voted

1. 1. Should I use Seafoam or not use it?

• Yes
    • No

I've used it in vehicles with less that that on the clock. With how much corn is in the fuel today I figure every little thing you can do has got to help.

I know when I got my J10 it was running really rough and kept hesitating on acceleration from sitting for quite awhile, and I had a 6 hour drive home (in the J10). So I ran some seafoam and premium fuel and everything got cleared up and it started to run like a beast.

I personally use it on all my current jeeps and like the product.  I usually put one can in a full gas tank, a little more then a quarter of a can into the throtte body ( small amounts at a time) and the rest into my vacuum line ( one off the intake manifold )  Does a good job cleaning everything out

I would not reccomend putting into your oil, as it says you can.

Personal preferrence

I would stay away from putting it through your oil unless the engine is really sludged up.  All the dirt in the engine could be the only thing keeping your seals from leaking and after Seafoam, you could spring a bunch of leaks.  I run it in my intake and in my fuel tank.  If you run it through your intake (through a vacuum hose), don't just dump the whole thing in as it can destroy your O2 sensors.  Put it in slowly, preferably choosing a lower vacuum line if possible.

I've used this stuff with moderate success on intake and fuel tank only.  Mainly only carbureted small engines (lawn mower, weed whacker, etc).  Never noticed a difference on larger, fuel injected vehicles.

I have never and will never run any additive in my oil except for the occasional quart of ATF.

I've used it with good results.   I liked using it in the tank with my dirt bike as it seemed to keep it burning cleaner.  But it's now over $10 for the pint can in my area and I'm cheap.   I swear i bought this stuff 6 months ago and paid only $5 for the pint.    

If you're planning to run like a tuff truck competition and wanting the ooooh he's on fire or his motor is blown effect sucking this stuff through the vacuum lines is great about 10 minutes before you're to pull up to the line.   It makes for great stage presence.  

I put a can in my fuel tank, gonna have to take it somewhere else besides my appartment complex to put it in the vacuum line.. or the manager might kick me out lol because I know this thing is gonna SMOKE. I got some blow by so I know some of the seafoam will get into my engine, hopefully it'll clean it up, wanted to switch to castrol anyway.. have some cheap walmart oil in there because it needed an oil change that bad when I got it, i think the last oil change sticker was 40k miles ago lol..

Yea, I love how the no people aren't saying why.

I said no because I don't use any additives except Lucas Oil products, and then very rarely. I know my engine and fuel system is clean both inside and outside so I don't waste the money. I can see the possible need for a product like this however if you p/u a raggedy vehicle of unknown origins and history.

gonna have to take it somewhere else besides my appartment complex to put it in the vacuum line.. or the manager might kick me out lol because I know this thing is gonna SMOKE. 

Mine have smoked profusely, but only for about a minute or so.  I've only done it at night because our neighborhood is fire shy.  No tornados, no floods, no eathquakes...a good wildfire is what does it out here. Last time the entire cloud spewed out and settled over my neighbors house for about 15 minutes...they weren't home.

This was about a week ago, just before I pulled my manifolds.  The insides of my engine are shiny, squeaky clean now.

Yea, I love how the no people aren't saying why.

I said no because I don't use any additives except Lucas Oil products

I was looking at that one yesterday, but the man at the auto parts store recommended seafoam, I'll keep them in mind also if I'm ever looking for some additive.

gonna have to take it somewhere else besides my appartment complex to put it in the vacuum line.. or the manager might kick me out lol because I know this thing is gonna SMOKE. 

Mine have smoked profusely, but only for about a minute or so.  I've only done it at night because our neighborhood is fire shy.  No tornados, no floods, no eathquakes...a good wildfire is what does it out here. Last time the entire cloud spewed out and settled over my neighbors house for about 15 minutes...they weren't home.

This was about a week ago, just before I pulled my manifolds.  The insides of my engine are shiny, squeaky clean now.

Only thing is, don't want to be revving my engine and wake the neighbors up.. It's a bunch of black folks who tattle on everything, I threw a piece of bologna out on the sidewalk for the alley cat and we got wrote up.. so gonna refrain from doing ANYTHING in this stupid place.

I used Seafoam via small vacuum line in a Volvo 240 a few years back and WOW did that thing SMOKE out the tailpipe. Just keep the RPMs up a little if doing the vacuum line trick, and stay out of the cloud created.

I like it. Good product. I don't really have any personal anecdotes about its effectiveness on my MJ because even though I put 1/2 of the can in through the throttle body and let it sit as directed, I didn't smoke much and I noticed no difference between before and after. That being said, my engine's always been smooth, but it hasn't seen much corn gas in its life until recently and about 2/3 of the miles are all highway.

Only thing is, don't want to be revving my engine and wake the neighbors up.. It's a bunch of black folks who tattle on everything, I threw a piece of bologna out on the sidewalk for the alley cat and we got wrote up.. so gonna refrain from doing ANYTHING in this stupid place.

kind of ironic! what side of town are you in!?

I used it on my old 91 chevy/350tbi. Put 1/3 can gas, 1/3 vacuum via brake booster, 1/3 in the crankcase. Smoked like  a dual turbo cummins rolling coal for about 10 minutes...but it was also a 260,000 mile engine that had a rough life. cleaned it out, seemed to help with throttle response and stalling. Drove it about 50 miles then changed the oil. Seafoamed my 896 2.8 mj sunday, same way, changing oil tomorrow, havent noticed any differences...but the 2.8 was damn clean inside,  no smoke either

• 11 months later...