Jeep Comanche Build, 2X4 To 4X4, 5Speed To Auto, Stroker

Well I'm starting my build. First, I must say there are many, many nice Comanche builds on this site. Lots of information and ideas to pull from.

The truck is a 4X2 Jeep Comanche with a 4.0 and 5-speed. 

The goal is to build a reliable 4x4 truck, that can be driven daily. I'm going to start "Low Budget", and work up from there. In other words, I want to get the truck up and running, then start modifying from there. Example, I'm using the stock upper and lower control arms, however I have plans to change them out in the future. What I don't want is a 3 to 10 year build and never being able to drive it. I want it driving & 4X4ing in just a few months. Then build up from there. (its NOT my daily driver, just another hobby truck. :) ) 

I bought a 92 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 4X4 with Auto, for parts. The 4X4 worked, the interior is in real good shape.  

The list: 

• convert to a 4X4,
  • 5.5" lift,
  • swap in a Chrysler 8.25 rear (longer shackles in rear)
  • lockers front-n-rear,
  • install Automatic, 
  • 4.7 Stoker motor
  • electric fans
  • redo the inside, new or rebuilt inside (rug, seats, dash,,,)
  •  under-body armor
other misc stuff. 

I started the project with the suspension and lift. I got the lift parts from the $600 lift thread. 

http://comancheclub.com/topic/35519-55-600-mj-lift-cheap-high-quality-100-complete-lift/

All the lift parts came in, we started installing it. So far so good. 

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Doing a spring over on the rear axle. 

Once we get the axles under the truck again, we'll pull the engine and Transmission. clean the engine bay up, paint and what not. 

Questions: 

Should I do a slip yoke removal on the transfer case?

Should I put a CV joint on the rear shaft?

I'd definitely run a SYE. Then the front shaft from your donor XJ (if it's long enough).

The front drive shaft is way too short. As well, a SYE and double cardan shaft on a Comanche at 5.5" of lift is generally not necessary.

• 2 weeks later...

well got most of the lift / suspension done. Took the Axles from the 91 XJ, and moved the to the MJ. Had to weld on new perches on the Chrysler 8.25. We picked up some U bolts from Autozone, they fit really nice. Then used the old MJ bottom spring plates, put them on top, and connected the shocks. Seems to work. The front alignment shims did not want to fit, had to grind down bushings in the arms. 

They had a LockRight front locker $100 off (~$200 or so), so I grabbed that. I'll get a locker for the rear too. Also I'll install new Diff covers. 

My goal is to get the MJ up & running as as possible. Then once its driving, I'll up-grade parts as needed.

We pulled the motor. I'm rebuilding the 4.0 H.O. right now, to a 4.7. I'm hours away from pulling the trigger on this kit,,

http://www.cleggengine.com/stroker-kits/jeep-4-0-stroker-kits.html#

The stage 3 kit, and Stage 2 CAM. Any comments, good, bad?

Here are some Pics,,

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

• 10 months later...

Mod's

Stroker 4.0 Motor (and all that goes with it, like 2001+ intake, ported TB, injectors,,,)

Rebuilt Transmission (modified for harder shifts)

Rebuilt Transfer case, with slip yoke eliminator

Rebuilt front & rear axles, both with lockers

Rebuilt drive shafts

Iron Rock over da knuckle steering

3-core thick aluminum radiator with 3 electric fans

2nd transmission cooler

completely redone interior, new carpet, new bench seat, re done dash, custom switch center.   

New rubber around glass, some new glass

10,000# wench

Battery moved to rear

50in roof mounted LED bar, 24" LED bar on front bumper

looking to convert to rear disk brakes, and long arm front.

There is a bunch of other little things. 

I did not even think about going through the woods as being a problem... Bu I think your right, need to watch them trees. Most my wheeling will be in the desert, light rock crawling. I'll use this jeep as one of my work trucks in my fleet. I'll drive it mostly, but there will be times I'll need to let one of my guys use it. So, It won't see hard core off-road extreme rock. :)

I really wanted a Lund Visor, but I could not find one. Then I saw a "Military" styled MJ with a 50" LED, and liked it. Kinda looks like a Lund.. kinda.

I got the brackets on eBay. search Jeep Cherokee 50" brackets. I think I paid $150... 

• 5 months later...

Man I know who you are now! Well not really but I know were you live, hahaha creepy, but you live right next to the Cloudcroft Highway right? I've seen your truck on our way to Cloudcroft for our Biking trips and always wondered if you were here lol! That's Awesome man! Great Work you've been doing to your truck too! 

• 2 weeks later...

Ha, that seems creepy and is funny. Yea That jeep is off the road to Cloud Croft. Lots of bikers take that road, its very scenic. 

I've followed your thread on Jessica, looking real good. My jeep "Bob" would love to hang with Jessica :)

Do you work at the bike shop on Mesa?

• 2 months later...

Almost done. just missing a few minor parts for transmission install. Need to figure out the fuel delivery too.  Need to do some electrical work.

Still a work in progress. I'm going to replace the front bump-stops, add on-broad air and a tank, move the battery to the rear, and some other ideas.

Here are some updated pictures. 

Some updated pictures:

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...