Hayduke's Operation Comanche Repower - 88 To 98 Swap

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I decided to paint the doors to match for now.....

Getting the old trim adhesive off was a bear & I scratched the panel.  So Bondo to the rescue..

Once the yellow hardens I'll do the lower panels.  0 degree weather and snow likely are not helping my drying time... Yes that's dirty road salt filled slush on the new paint etc... :doh:

We my Interior is about finished so time for some before and after photos to tell if you can see the difference: 

After

Before

After

Headliner / Roof Before

After

Drivers Side:

After:

Man it truly looks spectacular with that interior swap done. So modern, so refreshed looking. Very nice job.

Curious on your DIY painting. 

Just picked up my first Comanche - http://comancheclub.com/topic/37521-haydukes-operation-comanche-repower-88-to-98-swap/page-9

I'm not in love with the color, and the clear coat is gone on most of the truck, so I need to do something, but it does not make sense to have a pro job due to cost.

How has the paint held up on the canopy? What did you do for prep work?

I guess I have the same questions for the rest of your truck. How has the yellow paint held up? Did you do a layer of clear when it was done?

If you have a bit of time to add some extra details, I'd be very curious. 

Love your build thread... very inspiring.

Sabonis - I would suggest looking at this thread:   http://comancheclub.com/topic/37110-mj-backyard-repaint/  from when I painted the truck. 

Remember half of painting well is the Prep work.  After sanding & wet sanding you need to make sure the surface is dirt and oil free.  Wash the panel with dishsoap & water & dry,  then 5 minutes before you paint wipe down the panel with a lint free rag and isopropyl alcohol (red heet) or a paint shop alcohol type prep chemical.  let me know if you have any questions on my attached thread above.

Sabonis - I would suggest looking at this thread: http://comancheclub.com/topic/37110-mj-backyard-repaint/ from when I painted the truck.

Remember half of painting well is the Prep work. After sanding & wet sanding you need to make sure the surface is dirt and oil free. Wash the panel with dishsoap & water & dry, then 5 minutes before you paint wipe down the panel with a lint free rag and isopropyl alcohol (red heet) or a paint shop alcohol type prep chemical. let me know if you have any questions on my attached thread above.

Thank you, checking it out now. How has it held up in the last year?

Any additional tips? Distance you held the spray paint from the truck?

I may start with my canopy.

• 3 weeks later...

Sabonis - I would suggest looking at this thread: http://comancheclub.com/topic/37110-mj-backyard-repaint/ from when I painted the truck.

Remember half of painting well is the Prep work. After sanding & wet sanding you need to make sure the surface is dirt and oil free. Wash the panel with dishsoap & water & dry, then 5 minutes before you paint wipe down the panel with a lint free rag and isopropyl alcohol (red heet) or a paint shop alcohol type prep chemical. let me know if you have any questions on my attached thread above.

Thank you, checking it out now. How has it held up in the last year?

Any additional tips? Distance you held the spray paint from the truck?

I may start with my canopy.

If it's cool out, heat the can in hot water (I put mine in the hot tub) and shake for awhile before using.  Hold it about a foot away- this will vary with the brand/type of paint.  practice on something else metal before painting your truck as to how close to hold the can.

By Canopy do you mean roof or hood?

• 2 months later...

I developed some death wobble over the winter.  I ended up replacing the old steering box and then did the axle ball joints to resolve it....

Did you source a used steering box?  If so, was it an MJ/XJ unit or from another vehicle?

• 2 weeks later...

I did some more work on the manche this weekend and relized I haven't provided a update here for awhile..... So here it is.

A few weeks ago I did my battery cable upgrade.  I bought a roll of 4 gauge red wire and copper crimp terminals and replaced all the old nasty cables.  I went to marine style post terminals. negative cables I wrapped in black tape.

As I didn't have a megafuse or fusable link to protect the alternator from the rest of the system, I added a 100amp fuse next to the underhood  fuse box. 

When I did the interior I ran 10guage power wires inside for the power seats and future accessories,  but I didn't have a circuit to turn off the power with the ignition... The seats were temporarily wired in with the headlight power.....

So this weekend I was in the boneyard and I picked up a Gentex power mirror from a Cadillac Escalade (auto dimmer, temp, & Compass) I went home to install it.  I tried to find a good power source at the factory inside fuse box but it was acting flakey, so I decided to do it right...fix the power to the seats as intended... I disassembled the underhood fuse box and probed it for a power source that turns on and off with the ignition,  I ended up with the the relay for the electric fan power.  I used this as my low power trigger wire for a relay to run the power to the cab.  In the pictures you can see three relays in a row,  the yellow is for the power seats/ acc power.  The other two are for the headlights hi and low beams.  The new mega fuse gives me a easy place to power the relays from.....

I then wired up the mirror and calibrated the compass (after setting the correct zone) and It all appears to work (I haven't tried the auto dim feature yet but will tonight.) 

So far I like it after driving 16 miles to work.... 

During troubleshooting and testing I kept smelling a electrical melt down smell but couldn't find it.. :dunno: . So after completeing everything I ran the engine for ten minutes to see what happens...

Eventually I smelled it and eventually saw a wisp of smoke... it was my electric fan.  I'm not sure if something in my new wireing caused it to go, or if it was just time.  The electric fan came from a junkyard jeep with unknown miles on it... I'm actually not sure if it ever ran since installed (I tested it before) as it's been so cold out since the jeep was built.  I unplugged it and ordered a new one this time... :doh: . I'm not sure why my testing would cause it to fry if it did?  The fuse didn't pop and the fan never came on... It may have just died.... I guess I'll find out when I get the new one.  Any thoughts? Here's another pic of the general wiring going on now....

Image Not Found

• 1 month later...

A/C Update:  After several weeks I found my A/C dying.  It appears I had a tiny leak in my Evaporator core.  So once again the dash had to come most of the way out... But this time I did it outdoors as a new project was filling the garage. 

I installed the new core & tomorrow I'll have a extended pressure / Vacuum test done before recharging the system....

• 2 weeks later...

Nostalgia Days Car Show this weekend... Cleaned up the daily driver.

Floor mats

I picked up a cheap paint gun.... Might do a better repaint this summer.... It currently looks ok from a distance but bad close up & the paint comes off if alcohols touch it.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Thanks!,  I think my rear window is leaking (air/whistle on the highway)  I might try to seal it, or just by a new one.  how hard are these to install? The current one looks like it's popped out about a 1/4 inch, there's that much gap between the gasket and the cab.

• 1 month later...

Hi and great job and i have few question if you have the time to answer :D
Q: i have MJ 92  Manuel transmission and i did buy 2000 xj dashboard and i want to install it to the MJ but i don't know if i have to use the MJ wiring or i should use the xj wiring system  for the computer/dashboard  ...etc 
sorry for my poor english 

Q: i have MJ 92  Manuel transmission and i did buy 2000 xj dashboard and i want to install it to the MJ but i don't know if i have to use the MJ wiring or i should use the xj wiring system  for the computer/dashboard  ...etc 

If you want a 2000 xj dash you will need to use ALL of the 2000 XJ wiring. NONE of the MJ wiring will work with it.

Q: i have MJ 92 Manuel transmission and i did buy 2000 xj dashboard and i want to install it to the MJ but i don't know if i have to use the MJ wiring or i should use the xj wiring system for the computer/dashboard ...etc

If you want a 2000 xj dash you will need to use ALL of the 2000 XJ wiring. NONE of the MJ wiring will work with it.
Great if I'm gonna take all the2000 wiring is that incloud the computer or i should keep mj computer and if i have to use the xj engin computer whats right number model for the computer fir the 2000

• 2 weeks later...