Hayduke's Operation Comanche Repower - 88 To 98 Swap

Drove the Comanche yesterday & put 55 miles of mainly non-highway on it with no major issues!  :banana:   Rides pretty nice too.

I did find out the heater is stuck on hot, and after troubleshooting, it appears the hot/cold blend door is stuck.  Looks like I'll have to pull the heater box which means pulling the dash again......  At least I should know by now how everything goes together!

High five! The first drive is always the best.

Did you check the blend door lever directly above the right side of the transmission tunnel? The little pin broke on mine and I replaced it with a bolt.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yep,  I pulled the motor and tested it & it's working.  I then used the stub that goes in between the motor unit & the blend door to try to turn the door by hand.  I applied a lot of pressure and it didn't move... I'm guessing it's jammed.  Guessing I didn't get the heater box back together right after installing the new heater core.  I'll inspect & reassemble & this time make sure all the doors move by hand before intalling the heater box.... 

Here are some pictures I took this weekend.  I still haven't put the new wheels on, and want to replace the passenger door before paint.....

http:

I pulled the dash just enough to pull the heater box and fix the stuck blend door.... 

You can leave the driver side wiring less the trans controller hooked up and the steering column in & swing the dash up enough to get the heater box out.

I think the new thicker heater core was causing some case flex or bind?  I ended up trimming the rubber sweep on the blend door because it was rubbing so hard it would stick.  Once all doors worked by hand I reinstalled the heater box and dash and everything works now!

I'm back to daily driving the Jeep until I can find a new (not dented) passeger door.  Then I'll get the doors adjusted and I can install Carpet & the rear interior.  Currently the door leak a bit, so I'll hold off on carpet.....   I also ordered a tool box latch to get the tool box fixed and installed....

• 2 weeks later...

Toolbox Time! 

As this truck in now my daily driver, I wanted more lockable storage space.  So I started reviving a old toolbox I bought for $40 which came off a government surplus truck.  When I bought it it had faded paint and was dirty with a broken latch and no keys (so it would not stay closed).  Here it is after a good cleaning & paint prep:

I ordered a new paddle handle & lock set from DeeZee, filled the old holes, and started painting inside and out.....

I need to get some new lid risers because the old ones are leaking oil into the box. 

My friends all acted shocked / asked me where I got the new box when I installed it,  Even the guy who was with me when I bought it.  Amazing what some TLC and paint can do. You can see it below as well from the side.  The only issue is it's wider than expected, so it won't fit between the rollbars, and least without some serious fab work somewhere.

I also test fit the Rubi Moab wheels and went out for a drive.  Happy to report no rubbing after tucking the front fender well up better.  I think I'll go with the stock Rubi tire size, I'd begoing from around a 28" diameter wheel to a 30.5".  Looks like I don't want any more tire in those wheelwells right now. 

The wheels look good from far off, But I'm going to repaint them before getting tires, close-up you see the clearcoat failed & the aluminum is oxidized and stained.

I had hoped to strip the clearcoat and polish out the spokes and re-clearcoat, but the spokes just won't come clean.  So I'll paint them and clearcoat them in wheel paint.

Is it possible to test the blend door motor function out of the Jeep? I just went through the heater box for my truck and noticed a tighter fit with the replacement heater core as well. When fitting the heater box 1/2's together I did have to push on the blend door to get everything lined up. I would like to see if the blend door will work while it is in the house vs. pulling it back out later.

Congrats on the first drive  :wrench:

87Warrior:   to test the blend door.  There is a small stub shaft that goes between the motor/gearbox unit and the actual blend door.  I inserted the stub shaft  into the blend door and made sure I could move the door by hand on the work bench.  Mine would stick at the full heat side (turned full clockwise) so I ended up trimming the rubber sweep on the blend door because it was rubbing so hard it would stick.  I sprayed the inside of the box where the door runs with white lithium grease.  I could then see where the door was rubbing and trim a little off.  I would close up the box and tighten just the 4 surrounding screws and clips each time after trimming, and test again by hand.  It was a lot trial and error until it moved freely by hand.

Once you think you have it working, you could possiblly put the heater box on the passenger floor and connect all the wiring and see if the heater control knob actuates the door.  You can see the bottom of the shaft on the motor module and see if it's moving or not.

• 4 weeks later...

I sanded down the TJ Rubicon / Moab wheels and primed the bare aluminum parts with Aluminum primer. I then used Rustoleum Clean metal primer on the whole wheel surface.  Once dry I painted them with Rustoleum "Steel" silver wheel paint.  Up close they show a lot of scratches, but on the truck they look acceptable (I'm admittedly pretty picky about my paint jobs usually)...

I then Clear coated the wheels with the same brand Wheel clear coat and let them dry.  After a few days I waxed them and took them to get tires. I ended up going with a tire brand and type I've never tried, Hancook Dynapro ATM's in the factory TJ Rubicon size.

I mounted the spare under the truck in the factory location as it has a rim dent & can't be balanced anyway. There's quite a difference compared to the old wheels... Woo!

So far the tires have been good in the snowy weather i've had lately. 

After getting the new tires the alighment needed to be fixed. I painted and installed all new tie-rods, tie-rod ends, trackbar, and steering stabilizer. I then drove it through the snow with much bump steer to a local shop and got the alignment done.... Much better.

I also did some of the reworking of my rear bumper. I removed the ball on the bumper and welded on a receiver tube, and custom tow chain mounting points (made out of used cut down square u-bolts. I wired in the trailer converter and wiring as well & decided to run a reciever brake light until I can improve my dim tail lights....

I'll take some decent pics and replace these later.....  but it gives you an idea.

Step two will be removing the round tubes and adding rectangular tubes with side protection, tow points, and maybe additional lighting (reverse & tail lights).

I got my molded carpet from ACC (Auto Custom Carpets, Inc.) and it fit fairly well. 

I then installed all the interior trim, etc.  I also found that there are true vents behind the exterior side panels behind the doors.  They originally have rubber baffles, but Mine were all gone but one.  I installed a double bubble foil flap behind the vent to insulate them a bit but still let the cab vent.  I drove to work today and the cab seems tight & warm enough.  The temp here this morning was -15 F.

Snow, Cold & Salt season is here in Chicagoland & I'm tired of removing snow from my bed so I decided to attach the sporttruck cap....

Here's the cap after cleaning, but before my attack/cleanup:

The plan is to remove the goofy rear spoiler wing, replace the front window, repaint it, and replace all the screw cover trim.

Some people like or stongly dislike truck caps, but for me they are functional- to be run for 3-5 months a year to keep out the snow, ice & rain.  For summer the toolbox will go back in.

When I first bought the Comanche someone had painted it White over Red.  Why oh why would you????

Since my last three trucks where White, I wanted something different thus my first repaint:

Now I'm thinking of maybe going AMC Chestnut Brown Metallic like my first Jeep...  This time I want to have it painted right and not just spray painted.

I'd like to snag one of those passenger side power seats for Ryan's truck. Never seen one in the yard though...do they only appear when the heated seat option is present? Or, are they the WJ seats with the XJ bracket?

Otherwise it looks great...like the topper as well.