Mj Backyard Repaint

My MJ came to me barely driveable and painted all White (over red) from a po. This is a barebones stock MJ with almost not options.

I plan to add pictures as soon as I can get the site to do so, but it goes to URL & the pics are on my computer?? the help section did not explain this ???

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Yes that's what it is... from Blain's Farm & Fleet in Wi.-  Tractor & Equipment "Transport Yellow" : 257152-20121004234351-valspar-aerosol-tr View Larger

Valspar Aerosol Tractor & Implement Paint

Blain # 257152 | Mfr # 18-5339-07-76

I'm thinking of changing the color this season to a richer / darker yellow... maybe "Cub Cadet" yellow.  I've not had good luch with Krylon, I'm really more of a Rust'o'leum guy... But maybe I'll try it.  - Thanks

I used white paint as primer mostly, & only true primer is trouble areas to fill in scratches, etc.

Orange peal is not bad but you need to learn to work with the paint.  It can go on a little heavier than normal spraypaint. 

It looks Very thick but is actually thin if you try to wet sand it or buff it. 

As always, the better the prep but better the final finish... I didn't get too carried away with prep, just decent...

my paint is too thin as I buffed it... that was a mistake,  I want to add a coat.

• 1 month later...

After living with it awhile this paint is not nearly as tough as other Tractor Enamel I've used in the past.  If you get Alcohol on it it gets soft again. I'm considering repainting after my 88-98 swap is done as I'll have several new panels going on: Doors, hood, fender.....

I may choose to go with a different color as well....... Hmmm

• 3 months later...

I'm thinking of two different paint ideas.. Blue or brown with wood grain panels like a Waggoneer... Or the below 1986 stripes.

I think I'd have the stripes made in variations of orange on Brown like my old Scrambler colors.......

So sort of like the colors below... maybe another color or two in the same family...

What do you think???? 

Always wondered how that exact paint scheme would look on an MJ, sadly I can't say I'm much of a fan. I guess yellow is just purely a Wrangler thing in my eyes.

For your new idea, I've always been a huge fan of those '86 4x4 hockey stick decals and have wanted to get them reproduced for a long time, but Waggy style sides and the rest a dark blue would be really sweet too. Not sure what color your interior is, but the dark blue Waggy look would go great with the factory tan interior.

• 3 months later...

After living with this paint & would suggest sticking with Rustoleum Gloss Paint and prep with white or even better White Clean Metal Primer.  This paint is not hard enough and gets soft with alcohol applied (some wipes off). 

The cap is Rustoleum gloss black and holds up more like I expect.  

• 2 weeks later...