Codename: Bumblebee

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find myself changing my mind a lot with this truck...

I had those cheap 10 hole xj rims but then i got ahold of some true blue eliminator ten holes so i am working on cleaning those up now.

I'm cleaning, aircraft stripping and polishing them.

that last one i took a wire wheel to, hoping it will even out with sanding and polishing.

I'm going to ditch the tool box and put in the roll bar i got from a member, not factory but i like it.

Also I'm not keeping the grill guard so if anyone wants that hmu.

Saw this truck in person earlier today. Yeah, the color scheme is even wackier in person. Owner's a pretty nice guy too and I left with half a garage worth of parts :thumbsup:

Glad to help!

Started to clean up the other 4 wheels with aircraft paint stripper after cleaning them at the car wash.

Caked the stuff on there really good and let it sit for about 30 minutes.

Took it back to the car wash to power wash the gunk off.

Most of it came off but not all of it.

I'm going to have to scrap the rest off by hand, I wonder what the best method is??

Are they painted or bare metal? If metal, try a polishing disk on a drill with some cutting paste. Slow speed, lots of water. -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cL8EL7Zawzk

they are aluminum with clearcoat.

I have removed most of the clear coat with stripper but some of the residue is being stubborn, especially around the holes and rivets.

I used another coat of stripper on one rim and then tried to use a razor blade to scrape but the convex surface made it want to gouge.

Decided to used a scotch bright pad and it worked well on the center area but is not precise enough for the rivets.

Think I might find a stiff tooth brush and clean each rivet area one by one.

I definitely want to avoid wire brushes because one that one rim I have made a lot more work for myself.

luckily have 5. 

Going to used a mothers PowerCone and polish then clear coat them when all said and done.

these are going to be my winter project so I'm going to take my time and try to get an awesome final product.

... I have removed most of the clear coat with stripper but some of the residue is being stubborn, especially around the holes and rivets.

I used another coat of stripper on one rim and then tried to use a razor blade to scrape but the convex surface made it want to gouge.

Decided to used a scotch bright pad and it worked well on the center area but is not precise enough for the rivets.

Think I might find a stiff tooth brush and clean each rivet area one by one...

This is what I ended up doing when I did my wheels. Many, many hours but I think they came out okay and still look good years later. For the majority of the face, I used finer and finer sand paper then on to scotch brite pads that were also in finer grits. Good luck with it but the best results really come from time and elbow grease.  :thumbsup:

thanks kkilmer.

ill let you know of I find another set.

had to get these shipped and the shipping was more than the wheels!

taking that clear coat off really does a lot for the appearance. Just need to get the details in order and polish them out

Still not quite done but I took an SOS pad to it to try to clean up the lip and the rivets a little and it worked some.

Still need to get a stiff brush to get the finer details.

Ill tell you though, even though its not polished, when wet in the sun this thing really shines already!

• 4 weeks later...

I sold that brush guard...it never lined up well and was taking up space in the garage.

I got the other seat in and mocked up the center console.

I want to put in a hand brake eventually, the foot brake doesn't work.

My cluster has stopped working all together , I swapped in a spare and its the same.

I think ill end up swapping the entire dash harness and be done with it.

Still need to patch the drivers side floor...among other things.

Cold weather does not help with these projects!

• 3 months later...

I have done a few minor things with this truck lately.

Mainly because my DD has been getting major death wobble lately.

This truck has been sitting on a flat tire on the front passenger side wheel for the better part of the winter.

I got 2 of those eliminator rims to a presentable, but not perfect, condition and had a couple of 225 75 15's put on for cheap.

It already had a mismatched wheel on the rear driver side so I swapped the Wheel from the rear driver up to the front and put the two Eliminator rims on back.

Like i said the rims are not perfect but from 10 feet with some nice sun on them they look great!

I've got to work on the other two a lot more to get them in good enough shape to put on.

I've also had this little solar trickle charger from harbor freight hooked to the batter for a while and it does a great job of keeping the battery juiced up since I don't drive it much.

Also I replaced the battery cables and installed a hold down for the battery, he starts right up every time.

I'll put some pics up later today.

Next things to do:

Get floor patched on driver side

Cover floor with rust preventer 

Insulate floor with bubble foam

Either order carpet or reinstall the vinyl mat

Once all that is done I'm going to install the sweet Maroon interior i picked up a while back

When I have the dash out I'm definitely going to swap the fuse box and harness so i can get my cluster working again and remove the jumpers currently being used to rig up the brake light circuit.

Once ALL of that is done I got my paint guy to quote me on painting the cab red ($300)

I'm going to replace the doors and hood with red JY ones once I find a good set...hopefully with chrome handles and mirrors.

Then I want to put the Laredo style gray lower body line paint/trim and paint the flares the same color.

Haven't decided what to do with the rear bumper yet, probably a chrome aftermarket one if i can get a deal.

All in due time :crossfingers:

• 4 weeks later...

Decided to take my dog to the lake for a walk today and since its Sunday I drove this truck.

When I was backing out to leave a cop pulls up behind me and gets out... :doh:

I knew immediately what the issue was.

In Tennessee a vehicle can be permanently registered as an antique if it is at least 25 years old, so that is how this truck is registered.

Its a one time fee and doesn't need to ever be inspected again, but you can only drive it for GP on the weekend.

Today is a Sunday so I'm in the clear for that rule.

When you register as antique you have 2 options: :smart:

1. They issue you a generic Antique vehicle plate
  2. You can register with a vintage (one year older than model year) Tennessee plate

The officer was not aware of option two, which of course is the route I had taken.

So, as far as he knew i was driving around with 26 years expired plates.

It was pretty funny actually because he was like "You know you got '88 plates on there right"

I explained to him they had given me the option at the county clerk when I registered it as antique but he was less than convinced and asked to see my registration.

I got it out of the glove box and he looked it over still thinking something was wrong, so I asked him if it was the right plate number and he went and checked it.

Sure enough it was right, he was still pretty confused saying hes never seen anything like that before and he kept looking at my registration.

Here is the best part...He turns to the next page from the papers I gave him and there is the outline of the law that I had printed when I was looking to get the truck registered as antique. :D

I printed it out so I could remember the restrictions on driving it and in case I ever got pulled over by someone who was unaware of the law.

Looks like it came in handy, though the officer said he wasn't going to give me a ticket anyway since I was not actually on a roadway.

All in all it was pretty fun, and he could have given me tickets for two other things he did not even mention: my reverse lights don't work and the windshield is broken. :thumbsup:

• 11 months later...

Bad news for this project, or potentially good depending on the outcome.

I have been forced to purchase a new DD so there is a need to get rid of one of my 4 vehicles, this one has drawn the short straw.

I am not worried about getting a lot of money out of this, or even what I have put into it.

Really I would just like to get my initial $600 out of it and see it go to a good home.

I'm going to sell it as is with:

Complete Grey interior(partially installed to reveal floors)

Currently installed MJ buckets

Original bench seat

Original Vinyl flooring (removed to reveal floors)

Maroon interior with dash (only bad part is PO cut B pillar parts to fit speakers)

Set of Eliminator 10 holes(2 of which are installed)

Set of non-rivet ring 10 holes

Spare Tailgate

Bed Tool box

Drop in bedliner (currently Installed)

Non-OE 3 piece Roll bar, was installed on an MJ by PO, though never on this one.

Includes new battery and cables installed

Fuel rail has been cleaned

Volvo upgrade injectors installed with all fresh o-rings

Grounds upgraded

Comes with Patch panel for driver side floor

Here are the things it needs:

Windshield replacement (priced $125 locally)

Floor replaced (Patch panel included)

Interior reinstalled(have either grey or maroon to choose from)

Needs paint job for all panels to match (I was planning to pull red doors and hood from JY then either just rattle can the cab or get it painted to "match")

Needs remaining 2 Eliminator 10 hole rims installed (new tires wouldn't hurt either)

The truck runs and drives, starts every time.

It has the 4.0l l6 with 5 speed manual transmission, 2wd.

After listing all the stuff I am willing to include with this truck I don't even want to think about all the money I've spent gathering these parts etc but I just don't have the time and in some cases the skills to get this to where it deserves to be.

I am hoping someone on here can take the baton and get this thing respectable again.

Let me know if any interest.

I will be posting in 'For sale' once I get it cleaned up and take some current pictures.

• 2 weeks later...