Codename: Bumblebee

Just a quick update: I haven't been driving it much since I do a lot of traffic sitting and my other truck is auto (and has radio and heat that behaves) but i did decided to throw the mirrors from before I replaced the other truck's with 97+ on their. Those other ones did not ever stay put. Filled the holes in the door with jbweld as a patch, I'm replacing the doors anyway. While I was replacing the mirrors I found another stupid idea of the PO.

Oval speakers in a round hole? sounds perfect to me! I just pulled them both out....the radio doesn't work anyway.

• 8 months later...
  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been driving this truck for a few weeks while my dd gets a slow head teardown/gasket swap and a new harmonic balancer. Turns out silence in traffic gets old after a week or so. Decided to grab a stock radio from the JY and throw it in only to realize I have no speakers.... I knew about the fronts being taken out but it looks like i have no rears either. Beginning to think this thing didnt come with radio from the factory due to the fact that there are not even rear speaker brackets. Pics will follow.

uuuhhh, I didn't even know there were places for rear speakers...  :doh:   So thanks for the heads up.

Manuel is better.  No argument about that.  That being said, traffic sucks in a stick.

Reminds me that i never mentioned that I am going to stay with the stick on this truck since my cousin decided he was more of a beemer kind of guy  :dunno:

• 2 weeks later...

A guy pulled out in front of me in the snow/hail causing me to slide into the guard rail  :fs1:

This thing cannot take a wet road for anything, going to need to get some new tires for it eventually, or some weight in the bed.

In reality its not much damage, lost a mirror and messed up an already jacked up fender a little more  :dunno:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Got around to installing some red fenders and headerpanel i picked up for this guy, still need to install that new mirror, also need to paint the fender flare for the driver's side so i can install it!

Slowly this thing is becoming less yellow/black and more red all over  :yes:

Oh yeah!

I also picked this up for it!

I may need to notch the bumper to mount it but it will look sweet!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Picked up a little treat for this guy :yes:

Have never been a huge fan of these but I think its going to look good.

Also i have a set of a pillar lamp mounting brackets I picked up off of craigslist a while back.

Once I get them mounted and the grill guard with lights this guy will light up the night.

• 2 weeks later...

that would have been nice! These zip ties were bought at a surplus store and now I know why they had so many...they suuuucckkk! Break really easily and don't always lock in place, never again.

• 2 months later...

Found a pristine chrome front bumper at the JY that I couldn't pass up!

Also i tried to mount the grill guard and i can't get the thing to line up the way i want it too. Think ill have to do a little fabbing to get it how i want

probably going to pick up a set of these\/\/\/ from JCR offroad to make it a bit more stable

Did some work to the floor on the passengers side. 

Its my first time doing any rust/floor repair so i figured id start with the easier side.

Pretty much just took a paint/rust removing grinder wheel to the whole thing, then a wire wheel for the tighter spots.

Then i shot a combo of rust reformer and self etching primer. going to coat the whole thing with spray on undercoating when the whole thing is ready since it stays tacky when cured and i don't want the dust from the other side to stick to it.

Also went to the junk yard and stumbled upon a plastic tool box for this truck. the one on there now is supposed to be on my DD but i moved it when i needed to use the whole bed and since it is a hassle to empty and move it back i have just left it where it is.

I've got to clean the dirt out of it and all that but its pretty nice for a whopping $15.

Also i couldnt find the keys so its not lockable at the moment but they are pretty simple so i may be able to find an easy solution.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

So ever since I got this truck it had an injector leak, which the PO also mentioned when I got it.

I chased down o rings after orings trying to get it to stop leaking at the rail.

Once I got all those replaced I realized that it was leaking from the injectors themselves(original ones) which I now know is fairly common

Decided to look around the JY for replacements and ended up getting the Volvo 735s.

They fit snugly and I was super excited to see if they cured my leak.

I had removed the battery to help my aunt move her Isuzu with a bad alternator to get it fixed so at this point there was no battery in the truck.

I quickly went to put the battery in to check for leaks and I managed to put the damn thing in backwards.

Big spark show and a mild heart attack later I was able to get the thing disconnected and put in correctly.

Managed to get the truck to run for a minute or two..long enough to see that there was no fuel leaking from the rail or the injectors  :banana:

Then I shut it off and tried to start it again and nothing happened :fs1:

I knew it had to be because of the battery faux-pa

So I followed everyone's advice and replaced the starter switch.

No help...upgraded the grounds....no help...replaced the batter terminals...no help....replaced the starter relay...nothing..swapped the ECU, nothing again

it turns out I had re-installed the starter switch a little too far back on the column so the new switch wasn't able to full function!

Got that corrected and now I can start it from the key again and the leak is still gone.  :thumbsup:

Few new issues that may or may not be due to the battery issue:

No tach

No volt gauge

Cut off twice while driving, able to get going again without getting out of truck

Next steps:

• New battery Cables, install new battery.

• I really want to replace the fuse box since it still has jumpers for a few of the things to work and may be part of the current issues

• I want to redo the relays and fuse links like kabowaba did

• Patch floor, still has the huge holes in it but i have covered it with primer and rust reformer after grinding  the crap out of it

• Get the cab painted red, got quote for only $300 from my paint guy. I'm going to go Colorado red.

• Install the swank Maroon interior I recently picked up from the JY

• Get a set of red doors and a red hood

• Perhaps open cooling swap. It hasnt been over heating but then again I don't have reliable gauges and havent driven it in a long time. The pressure bottle hisses after every drive so I know its leaking.

• Wheels/Tires

Oh yeah I also picked up a set of 4 xj ten hole rims for only $40. I wanted the ones with the rivet ring around them but these are close and were to cheap to pass up.

They need some work but I think they will be decent after a good cleaning and polishing.

Will install them once all of the above is done and I have the $$$ for new (or lightly used) tires.

• 1 month later...

Okay so a few things have been done.

I changed out the muffler after fighting with the rusted old one for hours and managed to pull a muscle or something.

The new battery is in but I still need to throw the new cables in to match the battery and post connectors.

I picked up a Roll bar for it! Not factory but I like it, stripping and repainting now.

Found a maroon center console at the junk yard so I'm cleaning that up for future install.

Also have a line on a set of real Eliminator wheels so I'm all smiles  :D

All the pieces are coming together.

pics to follow