Did I Get The Correct Hitch?

I was browsing CL for parts for my rally car project and searched for "Comanche" out of habit. No results in my area, but the "Local" results showed a thread with a hitch listed for an 88. I emailed the guy and he replied back, so after a few phone calls and a delay due to Sandy, I went yesterday to pick it up. He was not there but had left it in the back of his truck and I left the cash for him. After getting home, I compared it to pictures on here and on the open internet and it looks WAY off, but he assured me that he pulled it himself from an '88 longbed. He had lots of other MJ parts and has multiple MJs, but I can't fight the feeling that something is not right about it.

(Before you ask why I did not just test it out, it was still storming here last night so I could not check it out for fit, and tonight is trick or treating for my kids.)

So the model number (83147) shows as a match for a longbed MJ:

http://www.realtruck.com/shared/pdf/manufacturers/103/06_hhcatalog-212pg.pdf (Page 41)

Further reference: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=65833

The flanges do NOT look right to me, versus what I saw in these threads:

http://comancheclub.com/topic/26626-receiver-hitch/page__hl__hitch

http://comancheclub.com/topic/28081-hitch-hardware/page__hl__hitch

Did I get the right part?

That appears to be a Cherokee hitch. The comanche hitches mount to the sides of the rear frame rails, not the bottom. That part number may or may not be for a Comanche-specific hitch that someone swapped the side plates on, OR a hitch that could have come with various different side-plates bolted to it to fit either the Comanche or Cherokee. Either way, those definitely aren't Comanche side plates.

The frame rails are 42-43 inches apart FYI. The Ho-made hitch I found at the junkyard was just laying on the ground...obviously it wasn't for an MJ...even though it was under an MJ. The guy said I could just have it for nothing (aka scrap) When I tried to install it into the threaded hole(s) I found that it would not fit between the rail and the spring eye. Hey, it was free!!

Since then the only hitch I've been able to find for an MJ has been a front hitch. My brother has access to a plasma cutter (he's a smithy). I've yet to get to it, it's be great to have a template for the drop. Maybe I'll just have to lay on my back for awhile and make one.

That hitch will fit the long bed MJ. I have the exact model on my '89 LWB whereas my '88 and '90 SWB have the Draw-Tite hitch. It mounts differently than the Draw-Tite, below the frame rather than on the side. It does not bolt to the stock bumper as the Draw-Tite, sits a little further back and if I remember correctly one of the holes was slightly off so I expanded it a bit. I personally like the Draw-Tite better and have a spare to replace the Hidden Hitch at some point.

Hey, I just noticed my load sensing valve is messed up!!! Good thing I went to take a picture.

Dammit! You mean to tell me there's a difference between long bed and short bed hitches?!?!?!?

I just picked up two hitches..... One from a long bed, one from a short bed. Sold the one from the short bed and kept the one from the long bed for my short bed MJ.......

I swear when the two hitches were side by side in y truck they were identical........

I did not say that. The Draw-Tite fits both since it bolts to the side of the frame where the bumper brackets attach as does a model made by Valley Industries. The Hidden Hitch attaches under the frame and may be bed length specific according to the manufacturer, I have not tried it on my SWB.

• 2 weeks later...

So I thought it odd that I had received no replies to this post, but I have not figured out the notifications on the new forumsetup.

This DOES fit on the LB that I have, btu as has been mentioned, the holes are off slightly. I also snapped off the bolts under the frame rails, so I need to make some adjustments, but this will work for my MJ. I had to buy $9.81 in bolts/nuts, but Hidden Hitch sent me the full hardware pack info, the original directions, and all of the paperwork it came with when new.

I will try to get some pictures and to post the directions when I am at a different computer.

regarding the left and right vinyl covers surrounding the license plate lights, how are they attached to the bumper?

Four square holes with plastic inserts and black machine-type screws. All my factory bumpers are like this except the chrome one which does not have the plates, but they are shown on a chrome bumper in the accessories guide.

• 9 months later...

Torsion tube receiver V5. Weight distribution receiver hitch.

Has a welded cross tube like yours. The mounting end pieces bolt on same as yours. The mounts have the OEM style mount, that is the vertical and horizontal pieces are welded together with two holes in the bottom and three in the vertical piece.

Kind of looks like they made the cross piece a universal part and custom made the mounts for different applications.

• 1 year later...