Hitch hardware

What hardware is needed to install a rear hitch? I pulled this hitch a while ago and want to use new hardware to avoid any potential problems.

Also, is there a thread on installing the hitch ... I don't remember the process for removing it. Does it use any bumper bolts?

It's a draw-tite but I don't know what the model number is. I have a replacement bumper I'm going to install at the same time since it's not all banged up.

It's really rusty in the picture but I'll be wire brushing it and hitting it with some rattle can paint before installation.

5632314041_fe69836d8b_z.jpg

without seeing the side plates, I am going to say it mounts to the bumper bolts. At least I think thats where all the drawtites mounted. I think I remember reading about some 1/4" plates that neede to be installed as well, but I don't really know for sure.

There should be four little 1/4" spacers for the Draw-Tite hitch. There should already be two spacers welded to the sideplates. The hitch mounts to the rear bumper bracket locations and uses metric bolts, but I do not recall off the top of my head what the diameter, pitch, and length are.

Just pull out one of your bumper bracket bolts and get six grade 5 or 8 of the same size but half an inch longer. You also need 1/4 inch spacers that go between the hitch side plates and the bumper brackets, but you can use washers instead. Then you need two 2 1/2 inch bolts with lock washers, washers & nuts to bolt through the step bumper & hitch.

Is there a significant difference between G5 and G8 bolts?

Grade 8 bolts are both stronger in yield and tension than Grade 5 bolts. The amount depends on the diameter bolt in question.

However, the bolts in the frame are metric, therefore you'll be looking at the metric equivalent to SAE Grades, which are Class 8.8 and Class 10.9.

From what I gather, the 6 bolts that hold the hitch to the frame mounts are 10.9?

That would be a Class 10.9 bolt, which is the metric equivalent to a Grade 8.

So you'll need (6) M10 x 1.50 x 43(?)mm Class 10.9 bolts to for the frame mounting positions. That's a 10mm diamter bolt with a 1.50 pitch, and 43mm (I can't read the number, but it's 40-something) length. Probably not available at too many local stores. Try searching for a local Fastenal store or a Tractor Supply - they usually have a good selection. You may also be able to find the bolts at a local Mom and Pop hardware store, too. If all else fails, order online at Mcmaster-Carr.

From what I gather, the 6 bolts that hold the hitch to the frame mounts are 10.9?

That would be a Class 10.9 bolt, which is the metric equivalent to a Grade 8.

So you'll need (6) M10 x 1.50 x 43(?)mm Class 10.9 bolts to for the frame mounting positions. That's a 10mm diamter bolt with a 1.50 pitch, and 43mm (I can't read the number, but it's 40-something) length. Probably not available at too many local stores. Try searching for a local Fastenal store or a Tractor Supply - they usually have a good selection. You may also be able to find the bolts at a local Mom and Pop hardware store, too. If all else fails, order online at Mcmaster-Carr.

Thanks. There is a local fastener store and fastenal so I shouldn't have problems finding this bolt.