Ahhh Its Back!!!!

ComancheKid45

Sometimes they used a 4 cylinder to stay within class engine size. Sometimes they used a 4 cylinder because it did what they wanted it to. Don't knock it just because it's a 4 cylinder. They used 4 cylinder offenhausers for Years at Indy and look at the show they put on.

They used 4 cylinder offenhausers for Years at Indy and look at the show they put on.

And what a show it was. 4-banger Offys dominated Indy car racing for thirty ears up to the mid-70's or so. 2.5L-2.6L putting out almost 1000HP, supercharged and super-reliable. And the sound they made screaming by was like nothing else. Hmm. I wonder how an Offy engine dumbed down to a streetable level of 400-500HP or so would fare in an MJ. It would weigh less than the 4.0 engine too. Might have to beef up the AW4 a bit though.............

And what a show it was. 4-banger Offys dominated Indy car racing for thirty ears up to the mid-70's or so. 2.5L-2.6L putting out almost 1000HP, supercharged and super-reliable. And the sound they made screaming by was like nothing else. Hmm. I wonder how an Offy engine dumbed down to a streetable level of 400-500HP or so would fare in an MJ. It would weigh less than the 4.0 engine too.

Not saying i don't believe it, but man i would have to see it. Even with a super or a turbo i can't imagine achieveing that kind of power from a 4 banger. :hmm: . I guess the reason keeping everybody and their brother from building such a small power house would be cost. Probably 50k in each motor right?

Not saying i don't believe it, but man i would have to see it. Even with a super or a turbo i can't imagine achieveing that kind of power from a 4 banger. :hmm: . I guess the reason keeping everybody and their brother from building such a small power house would be cost. Probably 50k in each motor right?

Common place event. I build imports for most of my living. Thats what pays for my jeep. :)

While its not cheap to make 1000 with a 4 cyl, its not hard thats for sure. You can watch vids all day long of 1000+ hp imports. Awesome stuff. Its super bad @$$ that they made that much HP back 30-50 years ago with not nearly the tech we have now.