Craftsman tools

sinkrun

Sad day today at sears around 50% or more of the CRAFTSMAN tool line is all Taiwan and china now even there ratchets impact sockets and more. I can't afford new snap on or mac have some used that I bought second hand. All of the Kobalt is now China also and this stuff isnt really that cheap and the craftsman is not cheap at all. If my only choice is China crap its second hand or harbor freight it is china also but its really cheap to buy.

I love my Pittsburg tools from harbor freight. I have had a 4 foot cheater bar on my 3/8 ratchet many times. Yeah, stupid, i know, but I have not broke one yet. Never split a socket either. Cannot say the same for Crapsman ratchets and sockets. Lifetime warrenty on the tools, half the price. No brainer for me unless you are going for a status simbol or something. :rotf:

I have many craftsman tools and rarely have a problem. A year or two ago my bench vice broke (a friend was using a breaker bar on it for some stupid reason) and it was bout 25 years old and they took it back for free with no questions even though that item no longer has the lifetime warranty. Then just the other day, I finally got around to returning my broken socket wrench and I was in and out of the store in 30 seconds. Guys seemed to be waiting for me. I usually go with those or Kobalt due to price and convenience.

I break craftsman ratchets every damn time I use them.

To me, it's pretty damn inconvenient to have to drive all the way to the store, every single time I pick up one of their tools, and go exchange it.

Don't get me wrong...that they're warrantied is great. But I won't buy them anymore.

I own cornwell tools now. and I will never look back. Yes, my ratchet set (extra long erginomic or however you spell it handles) which consists of a 1/2", 3/8", and 1/4" did cost me $285. but I beat on them harder than any craftsman ratchet could take, and they're the quick-ratchet style.

My sockets are all Cornwell, as well. and all of them are 6 point impacts. aside from a few 12pt snap-on extra long 1/2" drive 1/2" impact sockets, and a few random 3/8" drive 12pt metric and standard cornwells, I refuse to use 12pt sockets. convenience be damned, it's a touch more inconvenient to round the head off the bolt because I was too lazy to spend a bit of extra time tinkering to get that "just right" angle with a 6pt socket. I got the quick ratchets to accomodate for that.

I'm not trying to be elitest. I sure can't afford snap-on tools, though I would like to. so, I went with Cornwell, and haven't looked back. I use my tools too much to be willing to deal with the inconvenience of warranty exchange every time I use them.

I do keep a craftsman 500pc toolset in my jeep, with another set of Cornwell ratchets, because I don't want expensive tools to get stolen and I need them for the junkyards.

Yeah it's a bummer. I'm really disappointed in the Craftsman brand and how it has been ruined over the years. I will not buy another thing from Sears anymore. If it's going to be made in China, might as well get it from HF and save the money (plus, some of their stuff is actually good quality; check out the pass/fail thread on garagejournal). But really, if it's a tool worth having and using frequently, it's worth saving for and getting something nice from the USA (or pick your brand/country of choice).

I put together a small tool kit for my 18 year old, tool less nephew for Christmas.

I think I spent about $200, and wanted to get 100% made in America stuff.

I figured when he is my age, retail, new, made in America tools might not even exist anymore. :(

I had to pick through the 40% china crap now at Sears to get the USA stuff.

Deeply disappointing for me

I have no idea why someone would pay a premium for china crap, just because it says Craftsman, Husky, or Kobalt on it.

If I'm going to get made in chine crap,

I'll take it for Harbor Freight's made in china crap price thank you.

China sucks. :hateputers:

The devaluing of the dollar,

so china crap is all anyone can afford anymore sucks even more.

Your right. Craftsman is junk. In 1951 I paid $19.95 for a Craftsman socket set. Last year I had to return the ratchet. It quit working. Before I buy Jap or Chinese I will hit every pawn shop and yard sale around looking for American made, irregardless of brand. :wrench:

I've never been a fan of the Craftsman style ratchets; but their wrenches never let me down. I use a 1" wrench on any size wrench as a breaker bar...haven't broken one yet.

Personally my toolbox is as follows -

Snap on ratchet and breaker bar(paid 35$ total for at a swap meet, had ratchet rebuilt)

Craftsman wrenches(Most of them were free, or I get them at flea markets for 1-2$ a piece)

Harbor freight sockets(Never broken or stripped one yet...I've beaten the hell out of these, and only paid 8$ per set..they're color coded too.)

Genuine vice grips; and a few other odds and ends...box weighs about 50 pounds and fits nicely behind my seat.

The only thing I've needed aside from what's in my box are power/air tools and half inch drive sockets(don't have many of them!). I've never needed anything more working on any of my jeeps or any one elses' for that matter.

Genuine vice grips

:fs1: :wall: soapbox.gif :grrrr: :headpop:

1)All vice grips, except vice grip brand are junk.

2)Irwin (company) bought vice grip

3)All vice grip brand vice grip production was shipped to china.

4)All vice grips now suck.

:wall:

Genuine vice grips

I can't argue that; but considering that my vice grips will support a couple hundred pounds of weight and spring tension from garage doors...I'd hesitate to call them junk. :dunno:

Except when they wear out and pop open; in which case they become junk. ;)

I HATE craftsman and had seen the china thing coming sooner or later. Thankfully I had a great day and when I turned 18? My dad gave me a small snap on box with some of his "left overs". The only craftsman ones were like 3 sockets and one ratchet. I broke 2 of the sockets and the ratchet :roll: I don't have the $ for new snap on stuff so I've got alot more from yard sales and criegslist. If you buy in bulk off of Craigslist lets say a tool box full of tools pick out what you need and sell the rest I've gotten most of my $ back this way. I've also been using alot of tools from Loews and can't say any thing bad about them... is that its made in china :no: but I think there cheep er then craftsman, might want to check them out. Sorry about craftsman its a loss to us all :fs1:

Brandon

Your right. Craftsman is junk. In 1951 I paid $19.95 for a Craftsman socket set. Last year I had to return the ratchet. It quit working. Before I buy Jap or Chinese I will hit every pawn shop and yard sale around looking for American made, irregardless of brand. :wrench:

yeahthat.gif Picked up a nice 62 piece, barely used Metrinch set at a pawn shop for $50 bucks 2 years ago; the only thing that's given up was my 1/4 adapter.... only because a friend of mine put it to the "Can this be used to torque down 100 lbs?" test. :ack: The answer to that would be.... No.

Genuine vice grips

I can't argue that; but considering that my vice grips will support a couple hundred pounds of weight and spring tension from garage doors...I'd hesitate to call them junk. :dunno:

Except when they wear out and pop open; in which case they become junk. ;)

The made in USA vice grips are still top notch.

But almost any new ones you buy now are gonna be China crap,

They are looser stampings, cheaper quality steel,

just all around junkier.

They look like the cheap vice grip knock offs that have been around for years,

only now they are stamped "vice grip". :(

I will note I had two issues with my Craftsman ratchets.

1.) My 3/8" ratchet wore out after ten years of use. The new replacement is a little "sticky".

2.) The selector broke off on one of my 1/2" ratchets.

I really have not found another ratchet that I like. I do like the new handles on the Craftsman wrenches, but the huge market up on that design is ridiculous.

Due to my 'youthful-ness' I cannot comment on tool longevity. Although, growing up I grew accustomed to using my fathers snap-on tools. They simply felt/feel right, balanced and comfortable. When I moved out and started assembling a tool set of my own I had to find tools that were much cheaper than snap-on. I have found, quite surprisingly, that the Husky brand at Home Depot has the most similar feel to the snap-on I am used to. Shocking? You bet. Will they last as long as the snap-on? Probably not. A basic Husky tool kit is what tore down 85% of my MJ. I have also been adding pieces of the Craftsman Professional series to my tool chest.

In all, I think the most important aspect of a tool is how it feels in your hand. Even the texture of the finish is extremely important to me. Slippery and rough tools suck!

stanley owns MAC?

that's enough reason to never buy from them again. only thing worse than a craftsman ratchet, is a stanley ratchet. and any 13mm stanley socket doesn't even fit 13mm much less 1/2". (tested that theory with 4 different stanley tool sets)

stanley owns MAC?

that's enough reason to never buy from them again. only thing worse than a craftsman ratchet, is a stanley ratchet. and any 13mm stanley socket doesn't even fit 13mm much less 1/2". (tested that theory with 4 different stanley tool sets)

I was there when you had that Stanley tool episode. That was messed up. I have to say though... I picked up a Stanley ratchet a couple years ago in a pinch, and it's one of my favorite ratchets. 3/8", mid length, smooth feel, really solid with nice action. Surprised for sure.

Rob

stanley owns MAC?

I was there when you had that Stanley tool episode. That was messed up. I have to say though... I picked up a Stanley ratchet a couple years ago in a pinch, and it's one of my favorite ratchets. 3/8", mid length, smooth feel, really solid with nice action. Surprised for sure.

Rob

yeah. of two different sets at that time, neither had one single 13mm that fit properly. of two more sets between a couple buddies, same thing. the lack of capacity to make one tool properly makes me just avoid the brand entirely...if I can't trust one thing out of experience, how can I justify spending money on anything else from that company?

never had much interest in MAC anyways...

We started buying Kobalt tools because of the Lowes home improvement return policy for it, if it breaks bring it back and it is swapped no questions asked. don't even need a receip.. or at least that is how my lowes is

If it belongs to a kit, my local store makes you bring the whole kit in to exchange. If not, they won't exchange it because they don't sell that piece separately. Kind of a dumb policy, just give me the new piece out of a kit on the shelf and send me on my way, its the same thing.

We started buying Kobalt tools because of the Lowes home improvement return policy for it, if it breaks bring it back and it is swapped no questions asked. don't even need a receip.. or at least that is how my lowes is

If it belongs to a kit, my local store makes you bring the whole kit in to exchange. If not, they won't exchange it because they don't sell that piece separately. Kind of a dumb policy, just give me the new piece out of a kit on the shelf and send me on my way, its the same thing.

I have heard this about harbor freight can anybody verify this? I am thinking the reason they do this is that if you lost a piece they can get out of replacing it.