What is in my 35

So My comanche started making a Whirling noise from the rear end when it was under a load-accel or cruising but not when my foot was off the gas. I had bought it back in December and it was driving fine until we had some good snow. It progressively got worse and I decided to take a look. First off i noticed no breather tube on the rear end which i didn't even notice when I bought her. I assumed water got in the axle but I now have no clue what this is. Can anyone tell me

I doubt water would turn gear oil in to a thick pudding but I've never had water in an axle before?

Could the Previous owner been trying to hide a load rear end?

From looking at it no teeth are broken and the wear is not out of place and with the gunk in there it looks as if it is feathering is right.

I'll be cleaning it this weekend and checking to see if the front is the same, if it is i'd assume the PO didn't know what he was doing.

I've never seen this before if you have and this is just water that got in the axle and not the PO hiding something to get rid of the rig I'd be happy to hear otherwise I'll might be buying an 8.8 depending on what happens with normal gear oil in it..

That's definitely water and gear lube whipped up. Using synthetic oil tends to keep that from happening. I would put a BIG drain pan under there, spray it down with engine degreaser, temporarily fill with cheap motor oil or ATF and run it with the wheels off the ground, drain and refill several times before putting new gearlube in. (only if it's still quiet)

I doubt if the PO was trying to hide anything, but I would think you're also looking replacing some bearings & seals. Better yet, since replacing all that will cost some $$, you'd be much better off swapping another axle in there. Even if it's another 35. Seems like lots of work and expense to throw into a 35 when you could just drop and swap in an afternoon.

That's definitely water and gear lube whipped up. Using synthetic oil tends to keep that from happening. I would put a BIG drain pan under there, spray it down with engine degreaser, temporarily fill with cheap motor oil or ATF and run it with the wheels off the ground, drain and refill several times before putting new gearlube in. (only if it's still quiet)

I haven't gotten back on here for a while and I haven't done much other then Spray it out with the hose. It won't come out though, I had to use a nozzle on my hose that had some pressure to it. I'd think if it was water mixed in then it would come out a bit easier with brake cleaner but it would not budge so water hose it was... This weekend I'll Fill it back up with oil and run it on stands on jack stands and after a couple times see how the oil turns out, Hopefully it will get most of that gunk out. If I'm still getting gunk after 3-4 time of doing that then I'll pull the shafts, and spray the whole damn thing.

If youre hearing noise from it the bearings are already shot. Clean it, refill it with 75/140W and run it like that until you can look for a new axle.

IF it does turn out to be shot (more then likley since I was already hearing noise) I'll end up getting a 8.8 from a pick and pull for $250.00 so once I can afford to do it.. the ring and Pinion don't look to be bad though as far as i can tell, no chips cracks. The truck itself does have 217,000 miles on it though and as far as I know it's the original axle.. To replace the bearing and seals, the Gears would need to be reset Right?

looks like peanut butter

where are you located? you can have my 35 (3.55) if you pick it up....I'm swapping in a 44.

I'm in Oregon but Thanks for the offer.

Thanks for the advice guys.

depending where in oregon there was a Comanche at auto wrecker in gp for 150... that's what they'd told me when in there..

Also search the Eugene, Salem, Portland, etc. craigslists too. I always see derelict MJ parts floating around on listings.

car-part.com can help with finding a replacement.

Can't hurt anything to clean it our with a degreaser and refill with oil. I wouldn't use it very long, but it'll still work. (might be loud though)