Comanche of the month, Jan 2012 --- ZONEOFFROAD'S 1990

This month, we have a fantastic truck, and a great build. It's nice for the mainstream to give us a nod. 8)

---ZONEOFFROAD'S 1990 JEEP COMANCHE---

MODEL AND YEAR

1990 Jeep Comanche Eliminator (well most of it anyway)

ENGINE & PERFORMANCE:

Golen 4.6L Stroker

270hp/320 ft-lbs tq

K&N Air Filter/Pre-Filter

Dynomax muffler, SS high-flow header, custom exhaust running out the passenger's bedside

DRIVETRAIN:

AX-15 Tranny

NP-231 T-Case w/ SYE (To be swapped soon)

JK J8 Dana44 Front (trussed/sleeved) w/ Reid Racing High Steer Knuckles

- ARB Air Locker, 5.38 Superior Gears, Superior Shafts

JK J8 Dana60 Rear

-ARB Air Locker, 5.38 Superior Gears

JE Reel Front and Rear Driveshafts

BTF Kryptonite Diff Covers

COOLING:

Factory dual fan unit

Custom Vented Hood

ELECTRICAL & IGNITION:

Dual Optima YellowTop Batteries

Stock Ignition

STEERING:

AGR Ram Assist/Steering Box (Installing this winter)

Custom Drag Link/Tie Rod w/GM 1 Ton Ends

SUSPENSION:

Zone 4-Link Long Arm Front w/ Fox 2.5 14’’ Remote Reservoir Coilovers

Zone Triangulated 4-Link Long Arm Rear w/ Fox 2.5 16’’ Remote Reservoir Coilovers

Fox 2.0 Hydraulic Bump Stops (Frt/Rear)

Rear Anti-Rock Sway Bar (Installing this winter)

INTERIOR:

PRP Enduro Recliner Seats and Restraints

Dynomat and New Factory Rubber Flooring

Wire mesh rear window

Cobra CB - 29LTD Army Edition

Zone Offroad Grab Handles

Pretty basic - no radio, A/C or cup holders in this beast

BRAKES:

Front- GM Dual Piston Disc

Rear- Stock Disc

Zone SS braided brake lines - complete custom brake line system from the master cylinder

'97 TJ Parking Brake Lever Assembly

LIGHTING:

Rampage H4 Headlights

Rigid Industries 30’’ LED Lightbar

WHEELS/TIRES:

Mickey Thompson Sidebiters (17x9 w/ 5’’ backspacing)

Inner Air Lock Internal Beadlocks

Maxxis Trepador Radials (40x13.50x17)

MISCELLANEOUS:

Unibody completely plated with 10-gauge steel

Full Roll Cage made from .120 wall, 1.75’’ DOM with integrated spare tire/Hi-Lift jack mounts

Custom full width (rocker to rocker) Belly Pan

Rocker Guards built into the rockers

Hannemann Fiberglass Fenders/Bedsides

Custom Front and Rear Bumpers

Warn 9.5xp Winch (wireless remote) in recessed winch mount

Warn VTC Air Compressor

Complete Warn winch accessory bag and Hi-Lift Handle-All tool kit

Aluminum Fuel Cell (15-gallon)

Zone Mean Green Paint by M&M Body Shop in Sturgis, MI

Vinyl Graphics by Tuckey Motorsports in Coldwater, MI

Best MJ story

Grenaded the front axle on the first day of the Ultimate Adventure (left inner/outer axle shafts, u-joint, and upper/lower ball joints). Spent the night fixing it with makeshift parts only to catch up with the group the next day and break the other side on the first obstacle. After swapping out u-joints the rig was unstoppable.

What owner loves best about CC

The members! Since starting the build we’ve met tons of Comanche fans that track us down at shows to see Project MJ in person.

First off, thank you for the recognition. We did have the distinct advantage of doing this build on company time and money (while getting paid to do it) but all of us involved are enthusiast and really took this build as our own. Lots of long hours and late nights that is for sure.

Matt

Zone Offroad Products

Photo Bucket Photos (buildup, UA, etc): photobucket.com/ZoneMJ

Zone Blog (writeups, videos, photos, event coverage): http://zoneoffroad.com/blog/?cat=188

YouTube Videos (buildup and 4wheeling):

Facebook Page (buildup photos, videos, discussions): https://www.facebook.com/zoneoffroad

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What can I say guys? This is one sweet truck. Not only did you pick a Comanche for your show truck, but you did it right too. All the time and money invested really shows. The truck was a performer in the Ultimate Adventure, even if you did have a little setback here and there. What is really important though, is the way you guys kept everyone here in the loop. We've had it before where someone does something with an MJ, and when we try to say thanks, or how did you do that, we get a cold shoulder. You guys started a build thread here, kept us up to date on all the milestones, and answered questions all the way though. It's the dedication to the people that I really like. I don't know too many other companies who would keep up with a small niche forum in the middle of a super-build on a short time frame. It's been a long time coming that you and your truck would be here, and we couldn't think of a better way to kick off the new year.

Thanks guys, from all of us on CC.

Rob :cheers:

Thanks everybody. It is still a work in progress and will be back out on the show/trail ride circuit next season for people wanting to see it in person. I will try to get a couple "as is" pictures up for you to see. From the pictures above the most obvious changes have been color-matching the grill and adding the Rigid Ind. LED light bar on the front bumper.

Also, we gave you a little shout-out on our Blog to let everyone know to stop by your site for a visit. Thanks again for the recognition. http://zoneoffroad.com/blog/?p=2221

• 5 weeks later...

This is my all-time fav. Comanche. I wish they had a ton more pictures and details during the build. I've read the blog and watched the video's, but I'd love to see how they fabbed up the inside fender flares in the front in more detail.

The best thing about this build is the low COG. The fact that they can max out the suspension, with 40's, without resorting to tons of lift is awesome.

• 4 months later...
  • kryptronic unpinned and featured this topic