Goodbye to MJ...GONE!

SuperWade2

Well...It's been almost 3 years to the day since I joined CC and got my 89 MJ...It's cosmetically come quite a ways from when I got it to what I have now, but the engine is still the 210K mile, rough running, POS that it was when I bought it.

The MJ is my family's 3rd Vehicle and my thought was daily driving it when I was working on my TJ (which is my primary wheeler and where I've always spent most of my $$$). I seldom "need" a truck and other than a few trips to the dump and helping move the in-laws, I can't say that I've used the bed all that much. I never foresee a day when I would choose to wheel the MJ over the TJ with as much "stuff" as I've done to it. Additionally I have 5 year old twin girls that I can't take anywhere (legally) in the MJ, so feel bad about having it be the only vehicle when the wife has our Tahoe (and she works 4 evenings a week).

I foolishly though I might have the ability to do an engine swap and now have a HO 4.0/AW4 strapped into the Bed that I'm 95% sure that I'll never be able to complete the swap of (I don't have the space, tools, time and I'm missing about 1/4 of the parts that I need from the donor). I could pay someone to do the swap for me, but I'd guess easily $1000 in labor and another grand or more in missing parts parts and drive-shaft work, etc, etc. I don't have the $2G's to spend on a rig that's likely not going to be worth $2G's when done.

I looked at my options;

a) Spend $x and y months of down time to do the engine swap. I'd have to DD the TJ (and it's in need of a number of maintenance things that will likely need a few weeks of downtime too).

B) Sell the MJ, use the money to buy a somewhat dependable daily driver that I could haul the kids in and drive when I have my TJ torn apart

c) Keep the MJ, buy a 4th vehicle to DD and just park the MJ until I magically got the skills, tools, knowledge and time to do the engine swap. It could sit for a LONG time before those things happen...

Looking at these options, I guess I'm leaning towards option B). So I guess I have tonight to sleep on the decision to sell or not, but I think it might be time. I guess I am somewhat emotionally attached, which is stupid since it's just a vehicle.

I have a buyer already lined up who will give me $3K for everything if I choose to sell it, and I know they will take care of it and I suspect would do the engine swap and keep to going for a long time to come.

So I'm just rambling at this point... if I do sell it, I wanted to take a minute to thank everyone here on CC.Com that has helped me along the way, who have put up with some of my really stupid questions and who may have given me great deals on some of the parts that I've acquired over the past 3 years.

http://picasaweb.google.com/wade.leishm ... directlink

Wade

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would have to say B. It sounds like you have it going ro a good home I just hope you guve him a CC card lol I will be sorry to see you go but hope that you will drop I'm every now and then. Thanks for the help and good luck with what eber you do

Brandon

Wade, ya gotta do what's best....it's understandable.

But just remember, sometime in the future when you realize what you've done and buy another MJ just to be cool again, we're gonna make you sit on the tan couch over in the corner all over again :D

j/k...it's frustrating for me to read your posts on the new engine that you worked so hard on getting and the difficulties you're having. If you were closer, I'd help you stab it in over a weekend or two with help from my local junkyards.

You'd just hafta buy all the beer 8)

Jeff

Wade, ya gotta do what's best....it's understandable.

But just remember, sometime in the future when you realize what you've done and buy another MJ just to be cool again, we're gonna make you sit on the tan couch over in the corner all over again :D

j/k...it's frustrating for me to read your posts on the new engine that you worked so hard on getting and the difficulties you're having. If you were closer, I'd help you stab it in over a weekend or two with help from my local junkyards.

You'd just hafta buy all the beer 8)

Jeff

Thanks Jeff... it is frustrating... a bunch of extra hands with time and space and tools and a willingness to help a dummy like me on a big project is something I definitely don't have here locally. Even the guys in my local Jeep club (which I was just voted president of) are really not offing a huge bunch of help either.

d: sell the extra drivetrain, buy a bench for the MJ. :thumbsup:

I forgot about option d), but i'd still be left with a vehicle that barely runs, might get me back and forth to work (on a good day) and I don't think I'd get 2 kid's car seats on a bench (which is what I had when it started).

I have often thought the same thing, my MJ can compete for the ugliest on the CC but I still love it. The only thing that kept me from selling is the fact that I actually use it to haul all the time and it just isn't worth half what I have into it. But then again I do get attached to vehicles and have swapped motors in 19 degrees in a carport. :shake: I would lend a hand if you weren't 3000 miles away, I swapped my XJ motor in 1 day with help from my uncle.

Yep, agree with option B. You've been looking for a valid reason for a year or two since you got that pesky cab leak and other problems, gave it a go, and it seems like now the timing is right to do the dirty MJ deed and sell. Someone will be very happy with your solid MJ and will make it right. Your girls are FIVE! (damn, time flies). :cheers:

d: sell the extra drivetrain, buy a bench for the MJ. :thumbsup:

I forgot about option d), but i'd still be left with a vehicle that barely runs, might get me back and forth to work (on a good day) and I don't think I'd get 2 kid's car seats on a bench (which is what I had when it started).

5 year olds need carseats these days?

Don't tell me they require seat belts too.

Option B, I was going to suggest considering a Cherokee for the replacement vehicle, but I don't see as many as I used to out this way as Craigslist is loaded with Grands right now. I have to hand it to you Wade, you took in a tired beaten stray MJ fixed it up to the point of being a very viable truck that really only needs a little more TLC to be tip top.

Option B, I was going to suggest considering a Cherokee for the replacement vehicle, but I don't see as many as I used to out this way as Craigslist is loaded with Grands right now. I have to hand it to you Wade, you took in a tired beaten stray MJ fixed it up to the point of being a very viable truck that really only needs a little more TLC to be tip top.

I can get into a Grand 99-2001ish for $3-4K depending on miles... additionally I'm looking at maybe another Grand Prix (97-2001ish) as my 97 Grand Prix GT was my first 'new' car I ever owned and I kick myself every day for trading it in on the Tahoe we have now...Not great DD mileage, but it at least has a backseat for the little ones.

wadel2.jpg

and you'll be kicking yourself again if you get a new ride specifically for the little ones and then fail to get a 4 door. :thumbsup:

Yes...I didn't specify, but I'd be looking for a 4DR Grand Prix if that's the way I go... :D To be 100% fair, I can't say the decision is specifically for the little ones...that's part of it, but it's also the fact that i'm never going to be able to make the MJ "dependable" without throwing thousands of dollars at it.

That red 2DR GP Coupe was mine when I was 23 and still single...good times... :yes:

I can get into a Grand 99-2001ish for $3-4K depending on miles... additionally I'm looking at maybe another Grand Prix (97-2001ish) as my 97 Grand Prix GT was my first 'new' car I ever owned and I kick myself every day for trading it in on the Tahoe we have now...Not great DD mileage, but it at least has a backseat for the little ones.

wadel2.jpg

Wade,

Back in 2002 when my wife wanted to sell her 1997 ZJ we drove a used 2001 four door Grand Prix GTP, black with grey interior, and man what a fast ride! My wife utlimately settled on her 1998 MBZ SL500, but if my memory serves me right the Grand Prix had very similar performance with seating for four! Either way I see a win win here, the most important thing is that you are happy, and I am certain if you sell your truck some MJ lover somewhere will also be happy. :cheers:

Wade, any pics of you leaning up against the Police Magnet with your 23yr old mullet? Cause I know you had one.... ;)

I can assure there, there was never a mullet at any age (although not sure I have any pics of me next to it, but could probably find one at about 23)...but I can confirm that the PoPo loved to stop and see my Red Grand Prix up close... actually only stopped a few times, and maybe 2 small Tickets in the 6+ years I had it.

BTW, Shopping for used vehicles on Craigslist BLOWS!... Most are either a total scam, or people don't reply emails asking for more information, or leave phone numbers that are disconnected (likely other scammers).

Wade, any pics of you leaning up against the Police Magnet with your 23yr old mullet? Cause I know you had one.... ;)

I can assure there, there was never a mullet at any age (although not sure I have any pics of me next to it, but could probably find one at about 23)...but I can confirm that the PoPo loved to stop and see my Red Grand Prix up close... actually only stopped a few times, and maybe 2 small Tickets in the 6+ years I had it.

BTW, Shopping for used vehicles on Craigslist BLOWS!... Most are either a total scam, or people don't reply emails asking for more information, or leave phone numbers that are disconnected (likely other scammers).

Well if there was no Mully, then you had to have a cheese-stache, right? I thought all young men of the 80s rocked one or the other?! jamminz.gif

Well if there was no Mully, then you had to have a cheese-stache, right? I thought all young men of the 80s rocked one or the other?! jamminz.gif

I couldn't grow hair on my face until I was 30... Now I can't stop!

Hey, its not like you are leaving the Jeep lifestyle. I also suggest passing the MJ to somebody who wants it and will continue the level of work you have done to it.

But...a car!? Ugh, XJ or WJ :yes:

I'm focused on a WJ now...Have seen a couple in my price-range, but can't get anyone to reply to me to go look at em.

MJ isn't officially gone yet either.... Have a committed buyer, but he's not real local, so not sure how he is planning to pick up the MJ... and he is a collector (has about 20 vehicles) with some $, so I hope to some day see this thing again in better than new condition.

Wade