SuperWade2 Posted December 11, 2010 Share Posted December 11, 2010 Well...It's been almost 3 years to the day since I joined CC and got my 89 MJ...It's cosmetically come quite a ways from when I got it to what I have now, but the engine is still the 210K mile, rough running, POS that it was when I bought it. The MJ is my family's 3rd Vehicle and my thought was daily driving it when I was working on my TJ (which is my primary wheeler and where I've always spent most of my $$$). I seldom "need" a truck and other than a few trips to the dump and helping move the in-laws, I can't say that I've used the bed all that much. I never foresee a day when I would choose to wheel the MJ over the TJ with as much "stuff" as I've done to it. Additionally I have 5 year old twin girls that I can't take anywhere (legally) in the MJ, so feel bad about having it be the only vehicle when the wife has our Tahoe (and she works 4 evenings a week). I foolishly though I might have the ability to do an engine swap and now have a HO 4.0/AW4 strapped into the Bed that I'm 95% sure that I'll never be able to complete the swap of (I don't have the space, tools, time and I'm missing about 1/4 of the parts that I need from the donor). I could pay someone to do the swap for me, but I'd guess easily $1000 in labor and another grand or more in missing parts parts and drive-shaft work, etc, etc. I don't have the $2G's to spend on a rig that's likely not going to be worth $2G's when done. I looked at my options; a) Spend $x and y months of down time to do the engine swap. I'd have to DD the TJ (and it's in need of a number of maintenance things that will likely need a few weeks of downtime too). B) Sell the MJ, use the money to buy a somewhat dependable daily driver that I could haul the kids in and drive when I have my TJ torn apart c) Keep the MJ, buy a 4th vehicle to DD and just park the MJ until I magically got the skills, tools, knowledge and time to do the engine swap. It could sit for a LONG time before those things happen... Looking at these options, I guess I'm leaning towards option B). So I guess I have tonight to sleep on the decision to sell or not, but I think it might be time. I guess I am somewhat emotionally attached, which is stupid since it's just a vehicle. I have a buyer already lined up who will give me $3K for everything if I choose to sell it, and I know they will take care of it and I suspect would do the engine swap and keep to going for a long time to come. So I'm just rambling at this point... if I do sell it, I wanted to take a minute to thank everyone here on CC.Com that has helped me along the way, who have put up with some of my really stupid questions and who may have given me great deals on some of the parts that I've acquired over the past 3 years. http://picasaweb.google.com/wade.leishm ... directlink Wade Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.