Yes... there was an OEM bed mat.

So, taking pics of my 88 longbed today for the sale I noticed something I had not seen before...

Jeep emblem on the bedmat. Looked closer, and in the corner of the mat in small raised font "JEEP COMANCHE"

I'll post pics later today... just thought it was a pretty cool find.

My truck came with one that had the AMC logo in the middle. My guess is it came from an 86 long bed, believed to be a factory thing.

I also have the bed mat with the AMC logo right next to the word "Jeep" - right in the middle. Mine is a 1991 Big Ton package. Also have an original bed liner that says "Jeep Comanche".

If it looks like the below it's not factory. Neither were the later non-AMC-logo mats with "comanche" stamped in the corner. I'm 99.9% positive AMC/Mopar never offered a factory bed mat, but I'll find out.

Jeep-Comanche--Rubber-Bed-Mat--Official-Jeep-Mat-RARE-for-sale_190442829443.jpg

I know Pete and Rick remember this. Tom "sportztruck" Swatzell, an oldtime club member who passed away way too early, sold a crap load of these. He got them from an aftermarket accessory outfit in TX, long belly-up now. I used to have the web site, but it too is gone.

My wife (girlfriend at the time) gave me this exact bed mat for Christmas in 1990 and she purchased it from the dealer, Codiroli Chrysler Jeep in Livermore, CA.

If it looks like the below it's not factory. Neither were the later non-AMC-logo mats with "comanche" stamped in the corner. I'm 99.9% positive AMC/Mopar never offered a factory bed mat, but I'll find out.

Jeep-Comanche--Rubber-Bed-Mat--Official-Jeep-Mat-RARE-for-sale_190442829443.jpg

I know Pete and Rick remember this. Tom "sportztruck" Swatzell, an oldtime club member who passed away way too early, sold a crap load of these. He got them from an aftermarket accessory outfit in TX, long belly-up now. I used to have the web site, but it too is gone.

Yep, you are correct Fiat, and I was wrong. :( Just finished researching this with the help of one of our esteemed CC members whom you know. :yes: The mats with the logo (either AMC JeeP or the later plain JeeP logo mats after Mopar took over) in the center were in fact factory bed mats. The aftermarket mats I referred to (like mine) were identical material but did not have the logo. The same vendor made both versions, but a copyright thing allowed then to reproduce them at a cheaper cost w/o the logo.

Learned something tonight! That's always good. :cheers:

I hope this is original. It fits to nice not to be.

I found one of these at a north eastern Indiana junkyard if anyone is interested. As far as I know, it is still there. You would need to get it yourself. I can't buy it and ship it to you. :shake:

• 7 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...