My 1986 Jeep Comanche X (3.4L V6 swap coming soon.....)

do NOT rebuild that engine block. the 2.8 engines that Jeep got are flawed (either in design or manufacturing or maybe both.). :( if it is having internal issues and you want to do the minimum to get it running again, go with a 3.1/3.4L block/head swap. the 3.1/3.4 is an updated and improved version of the 2.8. your intake, accessories and the exhaust will all bolt on. you just need to add a fuel pump and re-balance the flexplate.

figure 1500 to 2500 to get a v8 in there. and that's if you can make parts yourself. and that's just a start. v8s are notoriously hard to keep cool in our trucks.

and yes, my 86 is also a metric ton. :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Just buy a 4x4 xj they are really cheap when wrecked. I did the swap on mine several years ago. Bought a 1994 xj 4.0 4x4 for 200 it was wrecked. Every part you need to swap it you can take off the cherokee. Let me know if you need some info. No you don't need to cut firewall. Just swap header panel.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=21725

I did it in my 86X

there are stuff you need to check before you do it

do you have a late 86 like mine

is the firewall formed to receive the 4.0 (if not youll have to use a BFH)

if you don't have the money to rebuild a 3.4 or to put a V8 this might be your route like me

( for me there was no 3.4 around my place)

Well I just got a new carb today. The truck runs great now.

I've got my mind set on the 3.4 because its really hard to find a cheap Cherokee around here right now. However there are several 3.4 cameros and firebirds sitting around in jys around here so I think thats the direction I think I'm going.

If only I had the money to do this..... :dunno:

I looked at national Craigslist ads for the right Camaro/ Firebird donor, thinking it would be better to have a complete running donor to do a swap from.... found complete running cars in the $1000 range and up..... might be better to get a whole car, take what you want, and then sell the rest off to recoup some money.... I think youd be cheaper off doing it this way if you can afford the donor money up front. Buying just the engine from a junkyard might cost less than a donor car up front, but youd get a lot of that back, and youd see and hear it run beforehand. I'm thinking of doing this with my 86 when the time comes. This way too, you have the whole fuel injection system if you wanted to try and make it work instead of the carb. Ive heard tell that that system can be made to work standalone. Might be worth a try if you have the abilities.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I just recently joined my local jeep club and now I have access to a lot of equipment and tools that I didn't have and I think I'm going to start scouring the area for a donor Cherokee and just do the 4.0 swap since now I have access to the tools and people with knowledge to help me.

On another note I actually have made a little progress on my truck.

NEW TIRES!

I think its a tight fit lol. Tested them out on the trails yesterday and they did great. Rubbed quite a bit up front but I'm probably going to get some 2.75 inch spacers up front to try and eliminate some of the rubbing.

If you want to do an engine swap, it's not as bad as some say it is; I have been doing them for years [chevy in jeeps, chevy in fords], a 350 will fit but it is tight, best to use a 4.3, do want injection or carb? When I do a swap I keep it all one kind--- chevy motor, chevy tranny, chevy transfer case, the reason why is the adapters are around $500 if you want to try and stick a chevy to a jeep tranny. My friend an myself should have everything you need to do a swap, he builds monster mud trucks and has a four wheel drive shop. I'm doing about the same thing in a 89 comanche, 4.3-- reason you can buy one in Ocala fl. from Titan engines all ready rebuild build for around $1300. also the the bore and stroke is the same as a 350, the only thing different is the rod size, you can order a intake from edelbrock and carb. and it will run and headers from pace or hedman. This is pretty much plug and go. You will need to do some welding for engine mounts and tranny mounts. If you want a very easy drop in, get an older jeep j-10 or cj with a 258, tranny and case, [get the whole thing if you can], this is a drop in for your comanche, this is a no frills set up, carb, points which can be changed over to a chevy hei dist. You do not have to worry about o2, crank senors, map, tps, etc..., just a couple of wires for the starter, one for the dist. hook up the alt. and go for the most part.

Shot me an e-mail if you need any parts. HooksNfeathers@aol.com , I'm in the homosassa area.

• 2 weeks later...

Well after some serious thought and research this is what I'm thinking.

Somewhere in the hopefully not too distant future :hmm: :

Save up some money and find a decent donor XJ hopefully 97+.

Swap drivetrain, front clip, interior.

Lift about 6"

Hopefully doing Friday:

replacing track bar

installing 2" coil spacers up front to clear wheel wells.

WILL BE POSTING PICS SOON.

• 6 months later...

Well after pondering a pondering and pretty much wasting time, I've been driving with the piece of crap 2.8 for over a year now.

Well it finally bit the dust. Threw a rod last Friday :wall:

Well now time for a new engine. And for time and money's sake (this is my dd) I'm going with a reman 3.4L from a 95 Camaro.

I will be buying the engine through my work.(I work at advance auto parts it has its perks eh?) then I will be reusing some of the parts from the 2.8 and buying some new parts.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong

Re-using from 2.8:

Intake

Exhaust

Carb

Alternator

Timing Cover

Mechanical Cooling fan

Transmission(for now)

Buying new:

Radiator-mine is done

Water pump

New belts and hoses etc

Starter

Engine mounts and tranny mount (one of my engine mounts are shot and the tranny one is too)

Gaskets

If there is anything I have left out or if there is anyone who has done this swap that has any tips please feel free to fill me in.

Thanks

Nate

• 3 months later...

I know its been a while since I've posted anything but after my the 2.8 died I kinda just stopped worrying about it and just partied and had fun at school.

Well now I got my Comanche fever back.

Saturday I picked up a 3.4L v6 out of a 94 firebird.(pics soon)

So far I've pulled the sfi injection and the valve covers off. So far everything looks super clean. I'm not 100% sure how far I'm going to go with this but I'm going to tear it down to the block to see if there is anything wrong then when the money comes get everything together to put it in.

I'm stoked. :banana:

What are the reasons your going with a 3.4? It just seems with all of the work youll be going through you might be better off going with something that has more power output. There are several companies offering kits for our Jeep's to swap a SBC or something similar in. IIRC that 3.4 is pushing around 160hp or so right? And trust me, I'm not bashing by any means, I'm just curious as to why is all. Good luck man

RockMJ

Well I got the 3.4 in my garage. I've pulled the valve covers and oil pan and everything looks really clean. I was thinking of tearing it down more but then realized its beyond my knowledge base and would further delay getting it in my truck.

Hopefully this Saturday I should be pulling the 2.8 out so I can pull what I need off of it then sell it to a yard for scrap. Then I'll just be waiting till next Friday for my paycheck so I can get the stuff I need to finish the swap.

What I already have:

-3.4L v6 out of a 94 firebird

-brand new radiator

-new electric fuel pump

So far this is all I have left to get:

-new water pump

-new gasket set

-new timing chain

-new plugs and wires

-new cap and rotor

-new tranny filter

-new engine and tranny mounts

-new fluids, oil, coolant, tranny fluid, and the notorious blinker fluid :smart:

I'm wondering why no one has mentioned the 4.3 vortec you can find those in chevy blazer's s10's and gmc jimmy's and sonoma's and you got the same bore and stoke as a 350 just minus 2 cylinders

You have to change the transmission to put a 4.3 in a MJ. The AX-4/5 will not bolt up to it. Also the work required to put a 4.3 in is the same as a 350 SBC.

hold off on the 3.4 swap until you can afford to give it some sort of aspiration.

that carb and intake choke the life out of the 2.8. you will gain very little noticeable performance out of swapping in a 3.4 if you don't upgrade it.

hit up ebay,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Edelbrock-Perfo ... 5ae44c07e2

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Edelbrock-Perfo ... 4cfd16dd52

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Edelbrock-Perfo ... 5647d075c0

I'd go with the 4 barrel setup, and suggest running a holley 390 4bbl carb on it. you will thank yourself for installing that once you drive it...and your mileage will increase.

now, remember...it's still carburated in the end, which is not very friendly with inclined slopes etc. offroading.

I would be going with the factory 3.4l fuel injection, and trimming out the harness, running a 4.0l lwb in-tank fuel pump. you can get the wiring schematics from it on-line or from a friendly member on here who has access to ALLDATA.

the only other thing you'd need then for it to run would be a VATS (Vehicle Anti-Theft System) bypass module, which can be purchased from bakerelectronix.com. It only requires a ground, a positive (I chose to supply it off of the ignition switch for a constant crank/run power supply), and has an output on a blue wire which goes to pin number 55 on the gm ECU.

http://www.bakerelectronix.com/products_vats/

I really would be doing it that way. you really just have to strip out the headlight wiring and other shenanigans from the camaro/firebird wiring harness, and then piggy-back the stock harness.

Well right now I'm just looking for cheap and fast. So for now I'm going to stick with the stock intake/carb setup from the 2.8. Then later down the road when I have more money I'll upgrade intake and carb.

But anyways I've gotten more work done. Cleaned up the 3.4 a little bit more, I'm still debating on getting the heads machined. The entire bottom end looks perfect.

I'm starting to pick apart the engine compartment so I can pull the 2.8 out.

I know this is an old pic but its one of my favorite and I haven't posted it yet.

Jeep Beach 2011

Oh and here's a pic of the 3.4