My 1986 Jeep Comanche X (3.4L V6 swap coming soon.....)

Well if you plan on keeping the motor in there for a while it might be a good idea to get the porting done. On a side note, my wife and I couldnt make it to Jeep Beach bc of work. I would have loved to take the LJ out on the beach. But it sounds like well be meeting up soon to get your MJ back up and running!

RockMJ

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well having personally done the 3.4 swap I say it is well worth the effort and the performance gain is verry noticeable over the stock 2.8 . However I did add an edelbrock intake to mine but did retain the stock carb as I have to deal with smog laws here so I couldn't go to a 4v carb and switching to fuel injection involves more than just cutting ,splicing and piggybacking of the stock harness here in good old CA though it is possible to do. Just take your time and do it right and try and spend your money where it's gona do the most good like replacing motor mounts , water pump quality gaskets etc... Stuff like that.

• 2 weeks later...

If you're interested in complicating your swap a bit, I forgot to mention that you can upgrade your transmission to an AX-15 behind your 3.4L 60-degree V6 by using the bellhousing from a 1996-1998 2.5L 4-cyl Dodge Dakota. Its external slave, and has the correct bolt pattern for the 3.4L 60-degree V6, and shares the AX-15/NV3500/ToyotaR150f transmission-to-bellhousing bolt pattern. The clutch disk would have to be figured out to match the Jeep AX-15 input. I know an 80's 4-cyl Camaro clutch disk will work for this swap behind an AMC 2.5L 4banger, but I'm not sure what disk you'd use behind a 3.4LV6. Just wanted to let you know the possibilities. You could even go over to a Toyota truck transmission/drivetrain of you wanted. Marlin Crawler in a Jeep, anyone? It could be done.

How are those general grabbers you bought, my brother wants to buy a pair for his 1987 chevy c10, but he doesnt know for sure it their good down the road and off-road. Are they loud going down the road and how well do they do it dirt and mud if you had a chance to go through those terrains? Sweet truck by the way

If you're interested in complicating your swap a bit, I forgot to mention that you can upgrade your transmission to an AX-15 behind your 3.4L 60-degree V6 by using the bellhousing from a 1996-1998 2.5L 4-cyl Dodge Dakota. Its external slave, and has the correct bolt pattern for the 3.4L 60-degree V6, and shares the AX-15/NV3500/ToyotaR150f transmission-to-bellhousing bolt pattern. The clutch disk would have to be figured out to match the Jeep AX-15 input. I know an 80's 4-cyl Camaro clutch disk will work for this swap behind an AMC 2.5L 4banger, but I'm not sure what disk you'd use behind a 3.4LV6. Just wanted to let you know the possibilities. You could even go over to a Toyota truck transmission/drivetrain of you wanted. Marlin Crawler in a Jeep, anyone? It could be done.

Funny thing is I've been looking into that and am wanting to put a 5speed in it as soon as I get a chance. However for now I'll just be sticking with the $#!&ty 3speed auto I have just for the sake of getting it back on the road faster.

How are those general grabbers you bought, my brother wants to buy a pair for his 1987 chevy c10, but he doesnt know for sure it their good down the road and off-road. Are they loud going down the road and how well do they do it dirt and mud if you had a chance to go through those terrains? Sweet truck by the way

I love them. They look great and perform great on and off road. Don't quote me on this because it has been almost 6 months since I've driven my truck and my memory is failing me on some stuff but they were pretty quiet on road. I got mine dirt cheap from some sketchy website. I'm starting to think they a blems because the lettering isnt all the same color. I went around town to get some quotes(tire kingdom, discount tire, etc) everyone wanted $1000+ for 4- 31x10.5's. I got 5 for $860 shipped to my house.

Looks like a solid Jeep to start with, I'm jealous of those badges though! Only had the one side COMANCHE badge on my '86 when I got it, found another one but have yet to find the X's.

Just to let you guys know though, the sbc V8 swap isn't as hard as everyone says it is, you just need to find someone that has done it before. It was a pain for me mainly because I was doing stuff that no one else did before. I swapped in a newer Cherokee 3 core CSF radiator and a high volume Summit water pump and my engine runs at 195 on the dot so the Cherokee radiators can cool these engines. Right now mine is carb'd but plan on going to FI after I graduate college later this year. With mine, I got the conversion bellhousing to mate the AX15 to the Chevy 350 so that up'd the price some. I probably have $1200 or so into this swap so far, including the upgraded radiator and water pump. Add about $250 if you want to include the engine rebuild after I wiped out the crank bearings. :oops:

I'm not sure about the V6 but my V8 clutch is just a standard course spline chevy clutch (10 tooth) and the AX15 fits perfect. The issue would be to find a pilot bushing as I'm not sure if the V6 and V8's are the same.

• 2 months later...

Holy Crap. The end is nigh approaching.

After nearly avoiding several heart attacks(I'm only 20) I have almost completed the engine swap. Had a couple mishaps that slowed progress. Such as a head bolt breaking off in the block when I removed the head to replace the head gaskets, friends saying they're coming over to help then never showing up, not labeling things as I took them off, not taking before and after pics to remind myself where things go.

Well here's where I'm at now. I got the old engine out, new one in, now I'm just buttoning everything up and trying to get it running. Oh and I'm eliminating most of the useless vacuum crap. :banana:

• 1 month later...

I know this is an old pic but its one of my favorite and I haven't posted it yet.

Jeep Beach 2011

]

Glad to see a different kind of Jeep out there in the sea of Wranglers. Your truck sure is a beaut man. :thumbsup:

Had a couple mishaps that slowed progress. Such as a head bolt breaking off in the block when I removed the head to replace the head gaskets, friends saying they're coming over to help then never showing up, not labeling things as I took them off, not taking before and after pics to remind myself where things go.

I thought I was the only person with these problems. :yes: Can't wait to see that swap finished!

• 1 year later...

So hello to all of you this is my first post. I have a 1986 Jeep comanche and I'm going to have my 2.8 rebuilt. Is it even worth the time to have it stroked, bored, and cammed? I'm trying to get it back on the road and while I realize that motor will never be special I'm hoping to get something out of it.

Has anyone had good luck with this?

• 4 years later...

So I picked up the truck yesterday. So siked!! Funny thing, I was told it was a 4 speed. Turns out it's a 5. The shifter knob has 1-4 on it. Could of fooled me haha. Guy I bought it from never drove it since bought so he didnt realize. I can't wait to get my hands dirty. I will post pictures as soon as I figure it out since I havent been on a forum in years lol