MJCarena's 1988 MJ

The whole setup looks great! Question for you though: did you have to swap out for longer wheel studs?

No they are the stock studs. I checked and the same amount of stud sticks out with the rim only on. I am thinking of putting longer studs in since they do not come to the end of the lugnuts, but have just over 1/2 inch of thread into the nuts.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no problem.

if it had a white front bumper, white end trim on the grille, and black mirrors...it would be my perfect MJ. that said, it's not far off, and those are only aesthetics. it's a good truck...enjoy it to it's fullest (and don't EVER trim the body. learn from someone who regrets doing so...

• 3 weeks later...

When the PO painted the truck, he also painted the rear bumper blue to match the lower side panels. I did not like the looks of it. I would really like a chrome bumper, but until I can find one, I decided to repaint the bumper black. I painted the bumper semigloss black and all the trim pieces flat black.

Before

Sanded down and bondo on some of the dents, hammered them out the best I could.

Primered

After, back on the truck.

Turned out better then I thought it would. I also put black JEEP stickers on the tailgate that I got off Ebay.

• 1 month later...

Swapped out my gauge cluster today. I went with the older style gauges, goes with what was in the truck before. Don't know yet what I am going to do about the PRNDL indicator. Might do like Hornbrod did. I also added the light for the cigarette lighter.

Went and had a Line-X bed liner sprayed in today. Had them go to the first body line on the bed and tailgate. They did a dreat job, removed the tailgate handle screws before spraying and even sprayed up under the bed rails. :D

BEFORE

Image Not Found

AFTER

that stuff is worth every penny. around here that job would cost 350 with a lifetime warranty.... a diy herculiner kit is say 100 plus everything else i need to prep(plastic, tape, etc) then the time for me to do it, and its not guaranteed.

I did the herculiner on an F150 I had and it turned out pretty good, But did not last long,( poor prep work from me) I want to try to keep this MJ in great shape so I went with the better bed liner. If it was one I was going to take 4wheeling alot I probably would have done the herculiner again and put the money into better offroad parts.

I just put the 1st coat of herculiner on my MJ a few days ago. It looks amazing and have heard great things about it. Got the "kit" for 80 bucks. I think for $80 and a few hr's it is well worth it. The only thing That I don't like so far is how glossy it looks. oh and how rough it feels See i use my bed for uh how can I say this... recreational use. Now ill have to carry around some sort of blanket around in the ol tool box. To bad.

Brandon

I did the herculiner on an F150 I had and it turned out pretty good, But did not last long,( poor prep work from me) I want to try to keep this MJ in great shape so I went with the better bed liner. If it was one I was going to take 4wheeling alot I probably would have done the herculiner again and put the money into better offroad parts.

Do you care to share how much you paid?

Glad the lights worked out for you. I've seen several tutorials on painting the trim black - that would look especially sharp if you painted that lower section black as well.

And that bedliner... man that really cleans the truck up nice. :cheers:

al's liner looks like a decent kit for bed liner ect. u can color match it, and i think it has 3 diff nozzels for spray pattern. like $110 for the kit and $50 for the gun. ive used herculiner before and it sucks I'm my opnion. by the way your truck looks good.

Do you care to share how much you paid?

Paid $430. It was a little more than I wanted to spend, but I plan on keeping this truck for a long time.It's my new baby. I just recently sold my 1953 Ford F100 that I owned for 30 years. (was made an offer I couldn't refuse)

• 1 month later...

Got bored and decided to follow what everyone says to do and pulled up my carpet. I was a little surprised that there was some rust under there (nothing to bad), since the truck is pretty clean underneath. I feel for you guys that have rust problems.

Drivers side

Passenger side

Cleaning up passenger side with a wire brush wheel mounted in a drill.

Painted with Rustoleum Rust Converter and then Rustoleum white paint.

Drivers side

Passenger side

Since I had the seat out, decided to take it apart and wash the covers. There is a slice in the foam on the back where someone welded the metal frame, must have broke before. Also foam was added to the bottom seat cushion.

• 2 weeks later...