Comanche of the month, Aug 2010 --- CWLONGSHOT's 1989

Wheeler this month... and you can't help but feel a little attached to this one. We've all seen it from start to current, and I am sure this owner would benefit to own stock in photobucket. ;)

------- AUGUST 2010 - CWLONGSHOT's 1989 Pioneer -------

viewtopic.php?t=1230

MODEL AND YEAR

1989 Comanche Pioneer 4x4

ENGINE & PERFORMANCE:

4.0L Six Ford W/4.6L injectors, new stock header, Open element air filter, Cat-co free flow cat, Flo-Master Super 44 muffler flows into a straight back 2.5” exhaust exiting at the rear bumper. The note is awesome!

DRIVETRAIN:

Hi-Pinion D30 front, Spartan lunchbox locker, (Still on the bench) Dana 4:56 gears, stock shafts and a Posi-Loc and a steel fork Currie rock ring.

1990 XJ/D44 rear Dana 4:56 gears, Full case Detroit locker, Superior alloy axles

Stock 231 T-case, Stock AW4 tranny, Stock drive shafts.

COOLING:

Radiator Barn 3core, Jeggs aluminum pressure bottle with temp gauge radiator cap and overflow bottle. Custom ground remix water neck for better flow. Its kind of a hybrid closed system. I added a med sized tranny cooler with an electric fan to supplement the factory cooling.

ELECTRICAL & IGNITION:

I have rewired the charging system and main battery cables with cable ends and post attachments at the battery. 2/0 fine wire cable used throughout. My alternator is a custom wound 200amp and required a 6GA charge wire. My head lights have a wiring loom upgrade with individual relays for each light and one each for high and lo beams.(total of 4 relays.) Yellow H4 MTEC headlight bulbs in EBAY H4 lenses.

STEERING:

JCR 1 ton steering upgrade in stock knuckles. Further customized with FSJ TRE rotation limiters. To almost eliminate the “rolling” of the drag-link TRE. Skyjacker stabilizer.

SUSPENSION:

BDS 4.5” front coils, Bilstein 10” travel 5150 shocks up front and 5125’s out back. Front shocks got JKS Bar pin eliminators at the bottom and top studs up top. EVS bump stops on all 4 shocks. Front and rear custom extended bump stops. MOTION Off road 4.5” MT full leaf packs out back in 2” longer Chevy boomerang shackles with JKS stud protection for the U bolts. A Kevin’s HD track bar (JKS BAR reworked) and drop mount. Jeep ZJ pitman arm. A V8 ZJ sway bar in red poly mounts and JKS discos. RE Drop brackets with RE lower adjustable arms and JKS adjustable upper arms.

INTERIOR:

A set of racing seats added on my own bases using stock sliders. Parts store pillar lights as many here have done. XJ under dash lights added as well. Floors POR 15’d and top coated with Rustoleum. Alpine head unit with Infinity 4x6 3ways in the back and 6.5 round components up front. Rear window slider added for comfort. CB with weather radio and a remote top speaker. Custom T-Case linkage and handle.

BRAKES:

Stock discs up front and factory HD drums out back. (Either a WJ or 96XJ booster/MC is very close to a reality) Braided 4” extended YJ front brake lines and 1996 Dakota rear line. Rear prop valve tossed in the scrap pile years ago.

LIGHTING:

Hella 550 lighting both forward and rear facing. I have some PIAA lights that just may get on the front bar once its installed.

WHEELS/TIRES:

Jeep Rubicon 16x8 rims with 285/75x16 Cooper STT tires. I LOVE the look!

MISCELLANEOUS:

Rock protection: stock cross member with home built T-Case skid. Rock rails from 1 ¾ poop pipe welded directly to the rear front spring hanger and front LCA mount. Then two additional mounts welded to 4” angle iron them that welded to uni-body. Home built rear swing out with spare tire mount. Ford Splash roll bar widened to properly fit the LWB MJ. Side bed protection is about ready to be mounted to the sides of the bed with a cross bar behind the cab and two removable bars in the bed. Then more from front fenders wrapping around to provide better winch protection. Again attached to the front bumper and front fenders with a crossbar under the hood. Rear bumper is a 3” sprinkler pipe with 2x3 side protection. This is tied into the frame on the sides. Bumper itself has a integrated 2” receiver with two heavy wall 1” square stock triangulated to the wheel wells. With two mounting points. Front bumper is a work in progress… It’s a mixture of 2x4 and 2x2x1/8” wall stock. Attached to a DETOURS back bone winch mount. On the mount is a WARN 8000 with AM STEEL blue synthetic rope with a safety thimble instead of a hook. With a Spyder-trax aluminum hawse fair lead. Extensive trimming of the fenders. Front was to allow clearance. The rear was to cut out cancer. Fender stiffeners added as well as a pool noodle to block air and road debris form the front doors. For a paint job, I sprayed it Rustoleum deep Blue from rattle cans in the driveway!! I mounted my HI-Lift to the bed side in home built mounts. I recently replaced the hood lift with proper steel pieces and installed some hood louvers to aid in heat evacuation. I really like the look.

Best MJ story

My truck has gone thru a pretty incredible transformation… I bought it and said it would stay stock. I put 30” BFG’s on it and drove it… but LOVED to too much and wanted to wheel it a bit. SO the mods began. It say on 31s for some time then three different 33” tires!! Its been on at least three different lifts and lift heights. Its had three different lockers and two different axles under it. I even came close to junking it when I found the badly rusted “frame”… But some diligence and help form local wheelers and my brothers here on CC I brought her back from the dead. Actually this is my favorite and thing I am most proud of. My repairs to the frame on my MJ. My complete build is documented right here on CC!! http://www.comancheclub.com/forums/view ... f=7&t=1230

What owner loves best about CC

What can I say, I couldn't possibly name just one. We are a certainly a diverse bunch, linked by a common love, our trucks. I come here first thing when I get up and drink my coffee in the morning and it’s the first thing I do when I get home from work. Then I get on again before bed for an hour or three talking with all my CC brothers! Although I have only personally met a couple of the guys. I feel like I have known most for years. I would welcome all into my home should any of them be in the neighborhood. Thank you to Pete for bringing this place to a reality. Thank you to all the mods and behind the scenes fellas that keep this thing live!!

DAY ONE:

New 30" tars and a good cleaning:

Budget 2" boost and shackles and 31 Swampers:

Then on 31x10.5 31 BFG AT's:

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

33BFG ATs, 5" of lift and a winch:

A bit more lift and 33X10.5 BFG MTs:

A paint job and 33x9.5 BFG MT's

As she is today:

Some wheeling shots too...

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Video clips too:

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Congrats CW! Your presence is an asset to the group. Your awesome photo taking, and step by step walk-through on all of your projects is a great learning tool. You have been so complete with all of your pictures that someone can easily get an idea of whats going on without even reading. And those trailer builds! How can we forget those! You share your skills and insight on anything you can readily, and aren't afraid to steer a member in the right direction. It things like that, that we look for in an MJOTM honoree, and you go above and beyond.

As always, a pleasure to share the board with you, and congratulations. :cheers:

Rob L. :D

I can't believe this rig hasn't been COTM earlier! The truck is totally awesome and its owner always has the right answer... I can't think of anytime I posted a tech question without CW piping in with some kind of uncanny response. Thank you for all of your knowledge, write-ups, inspiration and congratulations on having COTM!

Congratulations, CW. :thumbsup: Thanks for sharing your well documented build.

Also seems like a real good time to throw out an extra :thumbsup: for all the advice and info you've given me over the past year.

:cheers:

Jeff

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • kryptronic unpinned and featured this topic