is this my 4wd indicator switch and some other CAD questions

ok i started to do my CAD fix on my 91 yesterday but ran into a snag. i found that this was not connected because the wires had caught on something and broke. and to me it appears to be the switch to tell the 4wd light to come on. what do the rest of you think?

i need a new one if anyone has one or can get ahold of one from a JY. none of the MJs in the JYs around me have these.

also when i do this CAD fix do i have to put the cover back on upside down or will it stay? should i use something to hold it over maybe? and i should disconnect the vac lines from the shift motor too shouldnt i?

Alex

Yeah, that's the indicator light switch. It will function w/o it just fine, but if you want the dashlight to work, you gotta fix it.

For the housing, shim over the fork with some washers/hoseclamps or whatever else you can find. I tried the old flip-the-housing trick on Chuck's YJ but things just didn't line up well enough (might have been because the CAD motor on his axle actually worked in the first place). There are three circlips that hold the shift fork and shaft inside the housing that you have to pop off, then the shaft will slide out of the housing. It's a little frustrating until you figure out exactly how many washers you need to get the fork to line up, where to put them, and remembering how to orient the shaft when you put the circlips back on, but you'll figure it out. Just be patient..... ;)

Jeff

For those of us with non disco front ends that we swapped in, how do we get our 4wd lights to work?

X2

the newer 231 cases had a switch in the t-case to light up the dash light.

You'll need one of those. I'm pretty sure it replaced the vac switch.

ok i was thinking. since all this does really for the most part is turn a command-trac axle into a selec-trac axle, could i swap in the axle shaft from a selec-trac axle on the passenger side?

and I'm not too worried about the light. as long as i know the lever is up I'm good.

Alex

ok i was thinking. since all this does really for the most part is turn a command-trac axle into a selec-trac axle, could i swap in the axle shaft from a selec-trac axle on the passenger side?

and I'm not too worried about the light. as long as i know the lever is up I'm good.

Alex

that's how I operate. Unfortunately you will occasionally forget about it, or think you have the lever pushed down and it's still engaged. I'm going to fix my light :)

• 7 years later...

I just had the stock 2.5l motor replaced in my 1986 MJ longbed with a 1988 MJ 2.5l.

Big trouble.

No 4x4 anymore.

No dash light saying 4x4.

Only 2x2?

What do you recommend checking first, assuming the 4x4 shift lever is still connected/attached?

Is the front wheel transfer case activated by vacuum or electrically?

Cheers,

SGTSnacks

I just had the stock 2.5l motor replaced in my 1986 MJ longbed with a 1988 MJ 2.5l.

Big trouble.

No 4x4 anymore.

No dash light saying 4x4.

Only 2x2?

What do you recommend checking first, assuming the 4x4 shift lever is still connected/attached?

Is the front wheel transfer case activated by vacuum or electrically?

Cheers,

SGTSnacks

Since both quit working at the same time my best guess is a vac line is off.  Quick test is this.....with the truck in park (motor running) take the vac line off the CAD put your finger over the hole on the line that was closest to the passenger wheel....feel vacuum? Now put your finger over the hole on the other line (the one on the CAD side) have a friend pull up on the 4x4 shifter you should feel vacuum on that side. 

If no vacuum trace the lines back....they go first to the firewall then down to a "Switch" on the transfer case with 4 vac lines.....along the way make sure all lines are connected and intact......you probably had a line knocked off or broken in the swap.

To answer you question the transfer case is activated "ENGAGED" when you manually pull the lever back to 4Hi....this pushes a ball on the switch that divers the vacuum from one side of the cad to the other causing the fork to move and slide the sleeve over the split it the axles to join them....it also activated a switch that turns on the 4x4 light....

. :MJ 1: . Good Luck