4CYL Olympic Edition MJ crushed today.

89MJComanche

Well. I was dropping off some aluminum today and a half decent 4cyl MJ was at the scrap yard waiting to be cut into pieces and dumped into the crusher.

It had a good tailgate on it but the guy wanted $50 for the gate and I could not drop that much on it. I did get to pull plastic washer tank and the sliding rear window from the rig because those parts are not metal.

It was a 4x4 and I bet you that the D30 front since it was a 4 banger had 410 gear is it but if the tailgate was $50 the axle was gonna cost me $200 based on weight. I thought about going over there tonight to see if it was still there.

I hate to see em crushed like that.

At least I got to save 2 pieces of it.

Hey, well, at least they admit that they are making money off it as scrap metal.

The local guy insists that he doesn't :nuts: and that therefore my 'leftover' vehicles are not worth anything to him :roll:

If they look like the stripped down one in your avatar there isnt much metal left to scrap though..... :teehee: :jump: :rotfl2:

You guys are right about the scrap prices.

I went there yesterday with a heavy aluminum glider chase lounge, with all aluminum straps that support the cushons and wooden handles and plastic wheels.

The guy wanted to give me $3.50 for the damn thing and it was like 43 lbs of aluminum (45lbs actually, but 2 lbs for the wheels and handles)

They buy aluminum for 60 cents per lb. I asked the guy what the deal was and he balked about a the wheels and the handles and 2 screws that were rusty that were holding the back support to the frame.

I said you have got to be kidding me?? I said it is not for sale unless I get at least 50 cents per lb for it. He made it sound like it was going to take a million dollars for his guy to hit the handles and the wheels with a torch. The guy stands there all day burning radiators out of vehicles and a/c units and cracking transfer cases engine blocks and other things with this set of jaws to remove steel parts from inside.

So I came back home and cut it up into pieces and stuffed it down into my can full of aluminum cans and I will take it back next week on Saturday when they accept cans in bulk from people.

As for the comanche parts. They told me I had to pay 50 Cents per lb for the front axle if the guy lifted the mj up with a fork lift and cut every thing loose with a torch.

They only buy vehicles for 8 cents per lb

We dropped a bunch of AL, Dad has been collecting off the other day.

He got 90 cents a pound for mixed. That is pretty darn good. I remember 'breakage'(the crap 89Manche is talking about being 5 cents a pound).

But if I melt it into ingots, they pay $1.75 a pound.

#2 steel was $165 a ton if the yard picks it up, and $210 if they don't.

I know a guy in Rhode Island who says he gets $15 EACH for old alloy rims.

How hard is it to remove the rear window? Or did you mean that you got just the small, center sliding part? I want to swap a slider into one of my heaps but I can't figure out how the stock windows are held in. I know it's a gasket, but it doesn't seem to want to be cooperative.

One of my heaps was rescued from the crusher. I spotted it in a junkyard just a couple of miles from home. It's an 86 LWB (naturally, being an 86) 4-cyl, 4-speed 2WD. But it's basically solid and straight. Based on the sorry tale above, the guy at this yard must be a saint. He sold me the whole truck for $100. Of course, he had already turned in the title to the state saying it was scrap, which is going to be a massive headache, but at least I saved it from the crusher.

I know a guy in Rhode Island who says he gets $15 EACH for old alloy rims.

How hard is it to remove the rear window? Or did you mean that you got just the small, center sliding part? I want to swap a slider into one of my heaps but I can't figure out how the stock windows are held in. I know it's a gasket, but it doesn't seem to want to be cooperative.

One of my heaps was rescued from the crusher. I spotted it in a junkyard just a couple of miles from home. It's an 86 LWB (naturally, being an 86) 4-cyl, 4-speed 2WD. But it's basically solid and straight. Based on the sorry tale above, the guy at this yard must be a saint. He sold me the whole truck for $100. Of course, he had already turned in the title to the state saying it was scrap, which is going to be a massive headache, but at least I saved it from the crusher.

No, depending on when you got it he's not a saint.

Just a few years ago you could hardly give scrap away.

#2 had dipped to below $60 a ton, and white goods(appliances, and car carcasses) were averaging $5 a ton or less.

When we took all that crap to the yard the other day, another customer came up to us and took several busted up rims my dad had. He said he was melting them down, because the alloy used in wheels is good for doing some home sand casting.

When we took all that crap to the yard the other day, another customer came up to us and took several busted up rims my dad had. He said he was melting them down, because the alloy used in wheels is good for doing some home sand casting.

that's interesting, gonna have to research that.

that's interesting, gonna have to research that.

You cast at home?????

I took the design of my Al smelter from a couple of homecasting websites.

Very hard. It's not a gasket, per se, but they've actually glued it in place with polyurethane. I tried cutting it out with piano wire, then heated piano wire, then I gave up. It only cost me $10 for it to be professionally removed...

We're still not sure if the lousy stickers were applied at the factory or at the dealership (as a promotion). For the record, my 88 was an "Olympic" and I hated it. It had this ghastly ugly gold decal stripe running down the side of a dark red truck. :thwak:

We're still not sure if the lousy stickers were applied at the factory or at the dealership (as a promotion). For the record, my 88 was an "Olympic" and I hated it. It had this ghastly ugly gold decal stripe running down the side of a dark red truck. :thwak:

Careful now Pete:

That's the only spot it hasn't faded to silver though. And it's an '86.

I would assume the Canadian ones would have the rings too, since, you know, they kinda know about the olympics too. :nuts: