4.7HO in a Comanche or XJ?

Has anyone done the swap for a newer 4.7HO V8? I think that would be such a smooth lightweight motor for a XJ or MJ. If so please post pictures because it would be such a great project and payoff.

In another idea, don't rip into me to much for this one...

http://f00.inventorspot.com/images/EcoB ... custom.jpg

A new ECO Boost 3.5 Ford engine. A narrow 60 degree all alluminum block and heads with a turbo, 350hp and 350lb of torque out of a V6 with more room for cooling fans. Sounds like a great idea even for those '86 models without those firewall modifications. Just look at the reduced accessory drive, holy space batman!

I know it's not a Jeep motor, but neither is the Hemi in my Grand. I like stock, but functionality is formost.

don't know if the 4.7 has gotten better but if its anything like the earlier 4.7 you couldnt give me one :ack:

the Ford engine would be cool if you could afford one,I'm sure they want alot for them.

but if i had one it would go in my EXP or Falcon before i thought of putting it in my MJ. :thumbsup:

I've always thought the 5.0 / manual trans out of a Mustang would be an interesting engine/trans swap. There should be plenty of donors like that around, lots of parts available for the 5.0, and being roughly double the size of my 2.5 4-cyl, there should be enough of room in the engine bay? To me, one of the limiting factors has to be the manual transmission. If I wanted to go with an automatic, there would probably be more engine swap possibilities, but in wanting to stay with a manual trans, sort of narrows down the choices.

Why spend all the time, trouble and money to convert to a v8? Would be easier to build a stroker but that is just me.

Depends on what you're looking for.

I'd love to see a head to head 4.7L V8 Comanche vs Stroker L6 Comanche shootout,

but I doubt I ever will.

Till then, you just have to guess at the stuff the V8 would do better, and the Stroker would be better at.

4.7L V8 specs:

original 1999

16 Valve OHC V8

Hp: 235hp @4800 rpm

Torque: 295 ft-lbs @3200 rpm

Fuel: 87 octane unleaded

Bore x stroke: 3.66" x 3.40"

Compression Ratio: 9.5:1

Weight (complete): 438 lb

Latest & Greatest 2010 4.7L's:

Dakota 4.7L Flex Fuel:

302 Horsepower

329 lb-ft Torque

Ram 4.7L Flex Fuel:

310 Horsepower

330 lb-ft Torque

And the 2002-2005 4.7L HO HP fell about 1/2 way between the two:

9.7:1 compression ratio

265-270 BHP @ 5100 RPM

325-330 LB-FT @ 3600 RPM

Good 4.7L info here:

http://www.wjjeeps.com/ho_engine.htm#INTRO

I've always thought the 5.0 / manual trans out of a Mustang would be an interesting engine/trans swap. There should be plenty of donors like that around, lots of parts available for the 5.0, and being roughly double the size of my 2.5 4-cyl, there should be enough of room in the engine bay? To me, one of the limiting factors has to be the manual transmission. If I wanted to go with an automatic, there would probably be more engine swap possibilities, but in wanting to stay with a manual trans, sort of narrows down the choices.

Another good choice,

compact, good stock HP (225HP seemed like allot in the little Stangs back then :yes: ),

and an almost unlimited upside if you build it.

But if I had my choice of anything,

I'd would be a 4.7L Dodge/Jeep + 5spd manual in the MJ, with a clean, factory looking install.

:chillin:

My heart says I'd rather an AMC V8 (that would bolt right up to the NV3550 in there),

but it would cost more to adapt a decent, modern fuel injection setup than it would to buy the junkyard 4.7L/5spd combo.

I would love to see it done. :bowdown:

I've got 74k on my '07 4.7 V8 in my other rig and its needed nothing but oil changes. Very smooth and great sounding V8 (sounds better than the Hemi IMO). The early ones had PCV issues that caused oil cap / sludging. But overall a pretty bulletproof motor IMO. Too bad Chrysler discontinued it this year.

Allpar info here:

http://www.allpar.com/mopar/47.html

I think the Ram/Dakota 4.7 V8 was available with a 6 spd manual.

The 5.0 was offered in Ford pickups and Broncos also, so there should be plenty of manual trans with transfer cases available to bolt up to the 302. Youd just have to build a crossmember to support it all in addition to building the engine mounts, but I don't think it would be a big deal if youre going to do all that fab anyways

And the Eco boost Ford engine would be way more trouble than its worth to put in an MJ. That engine runs direct injection, which means that fuel pressure at the injectors is greater than 2000, yes two thousand PSI. Enough to cut your finger off if you pointed one at yourself! All the electronics that go with that engine are what would make it a bad swap candidate. It would be cheaper right now too to find and swap in a Liberty Diesel, and thats still friggin expensive!

I think the 302 would be cool though. A guy I work with is just finishing putting one in a ranger pickup. I know their engine bay can't be any bigger than ours!

The 4.7 v8 youd have a much harder time finding a manual for. Youd have to look at Full size dodge pickups for a donor as they were the only models that offered a manual behind the 4.7, though the electronics for a 4.7 may be slightly easier to swap over from a grand but you may have problems with that too as the PCM was often also the TCM for the auto trans, so there may be running issues if you don't keep an auto.... Lots of questions!!! Lots of work! Good luck!

The 4.7 v8 youd have a much harder time finding a manual for. Youd have to look at Full size dodge pickups for a donor as they were the only models that offered a manual behind the 4.7, though the electronics for a 4.7 may be slightly easier to swap over from a grand but you may have problems with that too as the PCM was often also the TCM for the auto trans, so there may be running issues if you don't keep an auto.... Lots of questions!!! Lots of work! Good luck!

Going to have to contest with ya here...

I have ran across a couple of Dakota's with the manual, and the 4.7L.

Rob L. :smart:

Going to have to contest with ya here...

I have ran across a couple of Dakota's with the manual, and the 4.7L.

Rob L. :smart:

The Daks are sooo big now, I pretty much consider them to be a full sized truck. I thought about that after I posted, but didnt change it.

the 302, or even a 351, would be a cool swap, not sure i've seen one in an xj/mj.. to keep it stick you could use either an nv3500, 4500, or if you're not averse to trimming the hell out of the trans tunnel you could also use the ZF S-542 or 547... if i was going to do a ford small block swap, it would be a 351, and i would either go carbed or use the last version of the EEC-IV electronics (94-96)... cause those years were OBD-II, and the 87-93 version of it isn't very user friendly should you ever need to diagnose any problems that may arise....

the ecoboost motor, while a very cool idea, will probably be a very difficult and expensive swap, not to mention that it doesn't come in anything 4x4, so finding a trans to work with it would probably be difficult... but i'm of the opinion that anything can be done, with an unlimited bank account and scads of free time to work with :rotf: if you want to go turbo, they make kits for the 4.0 that'll cost you a LOT less time and pain than trying to swap an ecoboost in..

I was going for something with an aluminum block and head design. There are plenty of boat anchor iron block V8's out there, but with aluminum and more horsepower would make a nice daily driver for sure. I saw someone putting a LS1 in, that's similar to what I am talking about. As I remember he cut out the firewall and it was huge, thus the idea about the ECOBoost engine. Power to weight ratio.

Great responses!

Personally, I think a Mazda RX-8 RENISIS rotary motor in a wheeled MJ would be badass. I can't afford it and don't know enough about rotary motors to pull off a swap myself.

1.3 L approx 200 HP, and shnitty gas milage and little low end torque..... even if it would go in, I don't think it would be a good wheelin engine... those engines LOVE to rev, and revving is not what wheeling is about. Power to weight would be great though... but all at high rpm.

Did anyone see the GSXR750 powered Sami on Pirate :clapping: :rotfl2:

Honestly looks like a friggen TON of fun to drive. :yes: :banana:

there's also a company somewhere down south that puts 1300cc hayabusa engines in smart cars... saw some youtube vids of one and :thumbsup: