Anyone looking for bed-side Patch Panels?

This isn't a deal breaker for me or anything, I was just getting my hopes up on having a simple one piece deal that I could maybe even tackle myself. Now it means I'll have to enlist some help from someone who knows bodywork, but I'll still end up with new clean bedsides that aren't all hacked up and dented in from too many close encounters with trees :brows: No, definately not a deal breaker.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

To anyone who is on the fence about these patch panels from Z&M JEEPS, I'm soon going to be picking up atleast one set of besides for my one MJ, and if they are as good as they sound i might be picking up another set for my other swb and a final set for my lwb. I also might be looking at the cab corners and possibly the bed floors (still havent pulled the factory comanche bedliner in my elminator to see how bad the bed really is) I don't live too far away from the company and until i find a place that does mediablasting on trucks, i have ALOT of time on my hands :D Ill let you all know how good the stuff really is. I might also be looking at getting a few set of rocker panels too. I'm sure the company does not do shotty work and I'm actaully really excited because now i don't have to drive completely across the state to pick up a whole swb bed!!! ill be sure to bring my camera to take lots of pictures for everyone.

Josh

Hey guys. Sorry I haven't been around lately. I'll try and answer the questions I've seen brought up the best I can.

For the piece that wraps around the rear, it would be prohibitively expensive to try and put that on the beside. What I have done in the past is use replacement corners from a CJ/YJ for that curve and just patched the metal in. I have the replacement corners if anyone needs them.

My mistake on the 6' bed being the same as the 7' behind the wheel well. In that case, you would have to trim some off the front AND the rear and move the taillight cut out in a little. Not hard to do at all.

I've sold one set of bedsides so far and some rockers and floor pans, so I really appreciate you guys having this thread up here. If there are any other questions, please let me know. Thanks,

Zack

• 2 weeks later...

yupp i bought both side floorpans and both side rockers for my current project. my dad is still dead against buying bedside panels at the moment cause there is a complete hole free bed completely across the state that if i go to pick it up, it will cost more in gas driving than the entire price of both bedsides, not including the $250 for the price of the bed. the floorpan that i have (the other is still on backorder) fits like a dream and is stamped out of 18gauge i believe. the rockers also fit the contour perfectly (better than the 4door XJ ones i was orginally going to use) Ive been up to Zacks shop twice now and if anyone ever gets a chance to go up there and even just look around, its DEFFINATLY worth it! there is just so much jeep stuff its insane! there is also an 86 swb MJ with the GM 2.8 and 4wd that he will sell for $400 and I'm really tempted to snatch it! not bad shape either, but see for yourself:

Josh

Can you post pics of what you do have? I would be interested in the floorpans, and the rockers.

Rob L. :cheers:

x50 bazillion.

I'd really like to see what the rockers look like.

Since the factory sheetmetal dried up (some say crushed :eek: :fs1: ),

I haven't seen any available with all the right bends (like the neck down section that fits under the ft fender).

id be more than happy to snap some pictures! the only problem i have encountered so far is with the floorpans. i only have a passenger side right now and they are for an XJ and i never pulled the carpet in an XJ but it seems that the front floorpans are about 4-5inches longer than what will fit without cutting. there is a brace that gives support to the floor in the MJ and the XJ pans are longer than said brace. its kind of hard to explain so ill just snap pictures. my rockers just came in th other day and i have yet to actually match them to the body of my truck so it will be a surprise for all of us on how well they fit.

Josh

id be more than happy to snap some pictures! the only problem i have encountered so far is with the floorpans. i only have a passenger side right now and they are for an XJ and i never pulled the carpet in an XJ but it seems that the front floorpans are about 4-5inches longer than what will fit without cutting. there is a brace that gives support to the floor in the MJ and the XJ pans are longer than said brace. its kind of hard to explain so ill just snap pictures. my rockers just came in th other day and i have yet to actually match them to the body of my truck so it will be a surprise for all of us on how well they fit.

Josh

My floors were rotted underneath the floor brace,

so I cut it out to get at all the rot.

It seems like that brace holds in any collected water, and helps the floors rot underneath it. so I didn't feel bad leaving it out.

What I have done in the past is use replacement corners from a CJ/YJ for that curve and just patched the metal in. I have the replacement corners if anyone needs them.

Hi Zach,

are these the corners you used to patch in the MJ rear bed corners?

http://stores.zmjeeps.com/Detail.bok?no=134177

http://stores.zmjeeps.com/Detail.bok?no=134178

12029.13.jpg

sku # 5764221 & 5764220

The same pic is used for both part numbers, I'd guess one page/number is for the left side, and the other for the right

(the description on the pages don't say which is which).

Is the angle of these pretty close to the angle of the MJ's rear corner?

I'm thinking of closing off the MJ taillight openings to run a different type of taillight.

Is this what you'd recommend using?

i really wish i would have took pictures of thme when i was up there. if you can imagine a comanche bedside with no gas door and no tailight box for a 7foot bed, that pretty much what you get. they also curve over to the inside of the bed, by which i mean the top flat spot that a camper shell would sit ontop of. its really hard for me to explain. i havent been to my shop in awhile but i will snap pictures tomorrow morning and post them tomorrow night.

Josh

Glad I checked back to this thread! Zach you should be able to expect an order of floor pans and rockers within the next few months from me when the truck heads to the body shop.

Thank you for providing such an awesome resource for these seemingly forgotten trucks!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just a plug:

I have done business with Zack two or three times over the course of a few years. It worked well each time and I have been satisfied enough that I have recommended him to many others.

Yes, wandering through Z&M is cool. Especially for VJ guys.

I did not know he carried this stuff until I wondered in here now.

Mill Supply also carries patch pannels and complete side pannels.

I'm new to this site so help me spred the word.

Thanks. Ron

Whoa, can we get more details?

Rob L.

Don't get too excited there Rob :eek:

Yes, Mill supply handles body parts, but are just a "retailer" from the Sherman Parts, and others like Keystone (LQK). They have the same parts listings that the corner parts store can get for you :roll:

Although I've bought parts from Mill, their a great source for Telco and Whiting roll up doors :D And carry alot of hard to find parts for your Walk-in vans.

You might need them for you day job for supplying parts :brows:

• 1 month later...

Ok so the bed panels are for the long bed truck ? . . . and would have to be modified for use a short bed truck ? . . .

So will there be a slight price decrease for customers with short bed trucks ? :D

Mike