tire width

STERLING STINGER

no offense but i think those tiers will look kinda odd on a mj. to mee mjs seem to look better with a wider tier see djm/78s for example.

just my opinion .

no offense but "looks" are not what makes something functional. you obviously have no real comprehension on the use of narrower and taller tires.

they are usually termed "cookie cutters" and they dig straight down to the base of whatever you're crawling through. end result of them is that the tires don't "float" like wider tires do. this reduces chances of hydroplaning, increases grip in the snow (as long as it's not too deep to dig down to the ground under it) and they are actually safer for winter driving because they don't float.

they suck for mudding though....the point there is to float, which is why wider tires are better.

i never said anything about funtion thye will function fine but i just thisnk they would look odd. but its his decision and I'm sure once i see them i may like them.I'm kinda wierd like that.

just a question though wouldnt you truck become a less stable if you put "cookie cutters" on it at there would be less tier on the ground.

i never said anything about funtion thye will function fine but i just thisnk they would look odd. but its his decision and I'm sure once i see them i may like them.I'm kinda wierd like that.

just a question though wouldnt you truck become a less stable if you put "cookie cutters" on it at there would be less tier on the ground.

well, we've all proven that your idea of how things look is often tragically skewed, so we can throw that one out of the window.

the truck is not less stable with narrow tires. it's a good idea to get tires with less backspacing so that the rims/tires stick out and widen the wheelbase.

there may be more to this conundrum than extra force on the road surface. if he's using these tires to plow snow, he needs a tire that ill work on the snow and ice. the old military style tires are not made for that.

What is the purpose of these tires?

their for my 92...no plowing but lots of playing soon, hopefully....woods,snow,paved roads,dirt roads,etc....but NOOOOOOO MUD!!!!

2-4" lift going on it soon too

and i don't need the actual military tires, you dudes are crazy with your stats, :D

i just want to know which tires i can get that are 31" and as close to the militarys as possible.

i think they look cool and will serve my purpose as well.

i want to try n not have to get new rims, but if i have 2 i will.....

their for my 92...no plowing but lots of playing soon, hopefully....woods,snow,paved roads,dirt roads,etc....but NOOOOOOO MUD!!!!

and i don't need the actual military tires, you dudes are crazy with your stats, :D

i just want to know which tires i can get that are 31" and as close to the militarys as possible.

I think you think wrong. Military tires are TERRIBLE for general purpose use, especially on pavement. They may look cool, but as far as serving your purpose(s) ... I don't think so.

I think you think wrong. Military tires are TERRIBLE for general purpose use, especially on pavement. They may look cool, but as far as serving your purpose(s) ... I don't think so.

thats why i said as close to it as possible....and "military type" tires

you know...skinny, 31s and meaty...just not all wide

you know what i mean?

Yep" , and we still got them stuck everywhere . Yes the first HV's as well .

Didn't matter what tire we put on them . It more depends on what the tire was made for, vs. how wide skinny they are .

Every tire has its advantage in different areas . Traction has allot more to do with weight than just skinny tires .

Haven't had any problems with my wide tires , they track allot better than the skinny $#!&s that were on there .

In allot of different conditions . I just won't take them into mud . Their not made for that . I don't do much mud

driving out here in Colorado , mostly jagged rocks , loose gravel and all sorts of snow - ice conditions .

From heavy snow pack to sheer black ice . I don't care what anyone says, nothing works on sheer black ice .

Thats how all the big trucks end up upside down , every year there is a terrible snow storm .

Its more about the knowledge of how to drive in the ice . Proper weight placement is key .

no offense but "looks" are not what makes something functional. you obviously have no real comprehension on the use of narrower and taller tires.

well, we've all proven that your idea of how things look is often tragically skewed, so we can throw that one out of the window.

:rant: Ahhh, I see the old Pat has returned. Rude, tactless, and ALWAYS right. :shake:

Now that I've got that off my chest, ahh, EVERYBODY, he has made it clear he is not specifically wanting military tires. Mainly tall and skinny. But as always, the usual suspects here all get a hard on to latch on to the minor references or somewhat inaccurate descriptions of what the OP is looking for and then go on and on trying to show how knowledgeable they are about something that never really address the true question. Then at some point, just like on this thread, Pete cuts through the crap and gets to the point "what is the purpose of these tires?".

Sterling, in addition to the 31/9.5 Swampers suggested, BFG has 33/9.5's depending on how much lift you go with. End :rant:

Sterling, in addition to the 31/9.5 Swampers suggested, BFG has 33/9.5's depending on how much lift you go with. End :rant:

yup. but i don't think they make 33x9.5s anymore. i think that size was only offered in the first generation Radial Mud Terrain BFG.

$148 at Tire Rack

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearc ... 5&x=41&y=7