Wish thread, what would you like to see produced for MJ's?

This might belong in 'The Pub', but it is definitely MJ related, so I posted it here. :dunno:

Atleast once a week, I'll find myself saying "wouldn't it be great if they made XXXX for MJ's",

the latest thing is decent bed corners (corner armor),

with, or without tailight cutouts.

XJ corners could probably be made to fit, but even those aren't very common, and are still different enough to need a fair bit of modification & extension to fit an MJ.

Even with their boxy MJ layout, there's so many bends, it would be tough to recreate them at a typical home-shop.

MJ tailights are going the way of the dinosaur,

another option for a wheeling rig would be :chillin:

Thoughts?

Anything else MJ related that you can't get, but wish you could?

With Rough Country's new long arm kit now available, I would love to see lift companies cater to guys wishing to do 6.5" long arms and SOA. A reasonable, yet complete kit would be nice.

But there's probably not much of a market. I would love to see some heavy duty bed rail protection that maybe included tie down options, or a movable-over the rails-basket?

As you might guess from my signature, I am more concerned with restoring MJs than I am with modifying them. I would also like to see cab corners, but there are no taillights in the cab. And I'm not interested in armor. I'm thinking of replacement sheet metal for repairing the lower, rear corners of the cab (behind the doors) when they rust out.

Also:

* Reproductions of the factory rear bumper (in both black and chrome)

* OEM repro rear bumper brackets

* Quarter panels (long bed and short bed)

* Gas tank skid plates (OEM configuration) (Long bed and short bed)

* Foot brake peddle assemblies

* Tailgates (or repair panels for same)

* Tailgate bumper pads (the wedge shaped thingies that interlock when you close the gate)

* Decal sets

As you might guess from my signature, I am more concerned with restoring MJs than I am with modifying them. I would also like to see cab corners, but there are no taillights in the cab. And I'm not interested in armor. I'm thinking of replacement sheet metal for repairing the lower, rear corners of the cab (behind the doors) when they rust out.

oops on my part,

I meant rear tailight/bed corners,

not 'cab' corners as posted (op is fixed now)

Also:

* Reproductions of the factory rear bumper (in both black and chrome)

* OEM repro rear bumper brackets

* Quarter panels (long bed and short bed)

* Gas tank skid plates (OEM configuration) (Long bed and short bed)

* Foot brake peddle assemblies

* Tailgates (or repair panels for same)

* Tailgate bumper pads (the wedge shaped thingies that interlock when you close the gate)

* Decal sets

I never liked the OEM rear bumpers, but can understand how tough it is to find one for a restoration.

I also get the need for quarters, and tailgates,

but why the brake pedal assemblies?

are those that tough to find? (not like a junk yard one would get banged up & you can't see much of it if it was).

I hear you on the tailgate wedges & decal sets though.

With vinyl plotters being so common now, you should be able to get most decals recreated (hopefully 'good' recreations),

but some, like the Eliminator's 'fade' decals would be tough to do.

We would all like to see a lot more of MJ-specific mod stuff but it'll never happen because of the dwindling MJ market. I'm not into modifying that much either, but I do like to build performance and handling into these bricks. So overall I'm happy with the options I have for these goals. I don't have the body rot problem where I live, but I'd like to see more aftermarket options for aft-of-the-cab body parts in case of accidents or whatever. At least we have the XJ interchangability for many many body parts up front, and they will be here for a long time because of the market.

I'm getting the 92 style ELIMINATOR decals made for mine when i paint it. when i went to get the ELIMINATOR decals on my 89, he had said that any set after the first one made is practically free since the program is made already. i will be getting a few extra sets made so be on the look out when i post them for sale. this will be in spring time most likely.

I'd love to have a "Roll Bar/Light Bar" (whatever you choose to call it).... I've never even seen one personally either on a Rig or in a JY, but if someone made a reproduction, I'd buy one in a minute!

I've bought and sold two NOS MJ roll bars (called Roll Bar, Sport in the manuals) by searching for the OEM p/n for both the LWB and SWb on various sources. They do come up occasionally at very reasonable prices. :D

I'd love to have a "Roll Bar/Light Bar" (whatever you choose to call it).... I've never even seen one personally either on a Rig or in a JY, but if someone made a reproduction, I'd buy one in a minute!

I've bought and sold two NOS MJ roll bars (called Roll Bar, Sport in the manuals) by searching for the OEM p/n for both the LWB and SWb on various sources. They do come up occasionally at very reasonable prices. :D

Show Off! :fool:

x2 on a new model maybe with that 2500 front clip on it and have it come stock with a little bit of lift like in a Rubicon edition. like that one that guy from mexico made, the white one with rubby rims and new style clip up front and the libby light bar. that thing was hot!

but why the brake pedal assemblies?

are those that tough to find? (not like a junk yard one would get banged up & you can't see much of it if it was).

That's what I get for typing when I'm tired and unwell.

I meant the parking brake peddle assembly. The regular brake peddle is the same as the Cherokee and there will probably be enough in the junkyards to fulfill reasonable needs for the foreseeable future. The parking brake assembly, however, is unique to the MJ and cannot be sourced from wrecked XJs.

I would also love to see it made again -- with the 97+ XJ nose and sheet metal, the HO 4.0L engine and NVG3550 transmission, and an extended cab. The only reason I bought a new XJ in 1988 rather than an MJ was the fact that the MJ had no extended cab option.

I meant the parking brake peddle assembly. The regular brake peddle is the same as the Cherokee and there will probably be enough in the junkyards to fulfill reasonable needs for the foreseeable future. The parking brake assembly, however, is unique to the MJ and cannot be sourced from wrecked XJs. I would also love to see it made again.

If you know the part number and do a search on Ebay for the parts you "wish" for you just might find it. Example here:

http://www.comancheclub.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19572

There's a ton of ongoing NOS MJ parts on Ebay and other sources that have been sucked up by vendors from Chrysler dealership auctions that have gone belly-up. These parts are usually selling at 50% below or more the stealer prices. Seek and you might find. :D

Show Off! :fool:

Not show off SW2 - fact. :fool: Try it, be patient, you might like it. :cheers:

(called Roll Bar, Sport in the manuals) by searching for the OEM p/n for both the LWB and SWb on various sources. They do come up occasionally at very reasonable prices. :D

I'm now scouring the globe for an 8220 0522, but not holding my breath

8220 0359 1 SPORT BAR, w/7 ft. pickup box ***

8220 0522 1 SPORT BAR, w/6 ft. pickup box ***