moving alt to ac mount

Moving your alternator on a Jeep form the bottom to the top has to be one of the best mods ever done. And I think after replacing 3 of them should be one of the first mods on any ones list to do.

There are some really good pics of this on the truck not my not my pics but it’s the same thing.

Thanks for the pic rubix-xj

Link 1

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showpost.php ... stcount=50

Link 2

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showpost.php ... stcount=51

I just took the pic of the piece you will need and mounted them together because I had the entire piece off already so why not take a pic or 2 before it goes on the truck.

So first up what will you need a old a AC mount and an alternator bracket. This is off a renix motor going on a renix motor. Plus you’re going to need your alternator and a little bracket to hold the front off the alternator in place. Plus a couple bolts and different size nuts to space things in and out may not be the best way but it’s the cheap way. So on with the pics.

First up is what you will need:

This pic is every thing put together and shows the pulley side of the alternator and AC pulley

You will see that there are bolts marked 1 and 2 in the next pic you see the spacer nuts need to space the alternator in/out to help align the belt.

The next pic is of the rear of the alternator this shows how the old bracket will sit.

Then the last few shots are over all shots.

I don’t know if this belt # is right but in the link the guy is using a Durlast Belt #770K6 the only reason I say this is I have not put this on my truck I will update this as soon as it gets warm out side.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...
Nope. You have a Nippondenso alternator, not a Renix Delco. Different animal, different brackets, etc.

yeahthat.gif you can see the difference in the pic's i posted for you in MJ Tech :http://www.comancheclub.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=30723

• 1 year later...
  • 7 years later...
On 5/17/2020 at 3:23 PM, omega_rugal said:

bringing this ancient thread back from the grave but...

what if you remove the AC bracket entirely, rotate the alternator and use  a custom bracket to hold the Alternator where the AC bracket used to be?

I'm sure you could Fab up a mount. On my Renix, i used an HO compressor mount, found a set of adaptor brackets that a kid on Ebay is making, and plopped in a HO 136 amp alternator and an adjustable external voltage regulator,  a 77" belt and a radiator hose for a renix with AC. fits like it was designed.

• 5 weeks later...
On 5/17/2020 at 5:23 PM, omega_rugal said:

bringing this ancient thread back from the grave but...

what if you remove the AC bracket entirely, rotate the alternator and use  a custom bracket to hold the Alternator where the AC bracket used to be?

very few check the DIY each day.  more eyeballs will see it if you start a new thread in Tech. :L: 

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I've got a write up on moving the alternator up. Just spent 30 min looking for it with no luck.  It doesn't move it to the top, but does get it higher up.  I'll look more later.

Another option that I haven't fully figured out is the 97-01 XJ right hand drive mount.  There is interference between the belt and a timing cover bolt head.  And you would end up with 2 belt adjustment points, not necessarily a bad thing.

Pic 1 stock

pic 2-4 on a 1991HO with 99+ intake and PS brackets/pump

IMG_3525.JPG

IMG_7288.jpeg

IMG_7290.jpeg

IMG_7292.jpeg