Guess where I went today... to see the fastest MJ (so far)..

Pete M

...after 3 hours of sleep too...

I'll post more after I take a nap.  :crazy:  Photo taking was VERY restricted (you will only see the MJ above), but I can tell you that the SCCA MJ, the blue 9-miles-on-the-odometer MJ and the Thunderchief are in good company among Hemi and turbine cars. :thumbsup:

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: 

Our fellow member, World's Fastest Comanche, wanted to see the original and was able to set up an inspection, (which turned into a tour). He can fill in more info when he finally gets home (doesn't live anywhere near here). I asked if I could tag along and fortunately the guy at Chrysler agreed. :clapping: I can't believe all the times I've driven right by those buildings and never knew what was in them. :roll:

I'm working on the pics and will have them up shortly.

Let's step back here. When did this take place? It has a 1986 Bonneville sticker with a 4.0 and a shortbed. Okay, it was a pre-production truck. So it was an AMC project. Now you know why it's kept under wraps, it's not a MOPAR.

Here's some food for thought. It had been written that when Chrysler bought AMC, the AMC engineers 'straightened' out engineering. Now we flash forward twenty years. Are Chrysler's troubles a result of the old AMC people retiring or because the AMC people 'straighened' out Chrysler? Maybe that's why Renault sold out. Jeep may actually be a curse.

"Worlds fastest Comanche" knows more about the details of the test than I do. :hmm: But I believe it should be an 87 truck (like most vehicles, 87s came out in late 86 and engineers would have had test mules much earlier in that year). I didn't think to snap a shot of the VIN. :doh:

Is this at the Walter P. Chrysler museum? I like the single tow hook, makes it look like it's snearing.

Nope. This is at a discrete storage facility on a different chunk of Chrysler property. The building doesn't have a name, sign or even an address as far as I can tell. :dunno:

"Worlds fastest Comanche" knows more about the details of the test than I do. :hmm: But I believe it should be an 87 truck (like most vehicles, 87s came out in late 86 and engineers would have had test mules much earlier in that year). I didn't think to snap a shot of the VIN. :doh:

Is this at the Walter P. Chrysler museum? I like the single tow hook, makes it look like it's snearing.

Nope. This is at a discrete storage facility on a different chunk of Chrysler property. The building doesn't have a name, sign or even an address as far as I can tell. :dunno:

The "Area 51" of Jeep History...

"I Want to Believe!"

No pics of the other MJs. We were only allowed to film the one truck.

The cars are put on display when needed. I gathered that this was a storage and restoration location.

And I learned of this the same way you all did (or could have). W.F.C. posted on page 6 of his thread that he was going to visit the truck. I asked if I could join and was fortunate enough to get tag-a-long permission. :banana:

When i spoke to the Historian eariler, i had requested to see the truck, in the letter with the pictures he said that i could come and look at it and gave me the contact. I will probably head over next Friday with my son. It is stored in a building with 300 other "signifigant" chrysler vehicles.