$500 MJ's Rear Bumpers

This past summer I built two more bumpers that were exact copies of the one that I built for my MJ the year earlier. I sold them to "Crankshaftkid" and "Wanderin." The following pics are a step by step process of how they went together:

This is how the finished product looks (My first one for my Blue MJ):

n6603948_30924276_6302.jpg

Approximate Material needed for one bumper:

1 - 60"x2"x5" - Tube for the Bumper - (Wall thickness is your choice).

1 - 4' Length of 3/8"x 3" Strap Steel to make the 4 mounting brackets and end caps

1- 6" of 2.125 ID Square Tube for the Receiver

1- 1' of 3/8" cold rolled steel for the chain mounts underneath

2 -JCR Offroad D-Ring Tabs http://www.jcroffroad.com/Merchant2/mer ... y_Code=DPL

This is the pile of steel I started with (duplicates for 2 bumpers):

n6603948_31504778_2659.jpg

I cut the angle on the ends of the bumper to match that of the lower body line of the truck and capped them off.

n6603948_31516335_5370.jpg

n6603948_31516339_7696.jpg

Next I cut all of the Strap steel down to desired lengths that I drilled and welded together for the OUTSIDE "Stock" mounting brackets of the bumper:

n6603948_31516396_3139.jpg

n6603948_31516397_3488.jpg

n6603948_31516400_5057.jpg

Now its time to test fit the tube to the rear of a MJ. My white one was chosen to do the job because the blue one was licensed for the summer.

n6603948_31516402_5724.jpg

n6603948_31516401_5402.jpg

n6603948_31516403_6084.jpg

Bumper is centered on the mounts and tack welded onto the truck:

n6603948_31516404_6422.jpg

Now, the whole "assembly" is taken off for the welds to be finished. I gusseted these welds for lateral tugging strength:

n6603948_31516406_7160.jpg

The INSIDE "Auxilliary" mounting brackets can now be cut and drilled out (There is no stock location for these to mount up at, holes will need to be drilled into the frame for these to be used):

n6603948_31525872_9150.jpg

The whole assembly is now remounted on the truck and these are tack-welded to the bumper. (No Pics)

Once all 4 brackets are welded onto the bumper, it is time to weld on the D-Ring Tabs in the center of the brackets. BURN THEM IN HOT!:

n6603948_31525878_2383.jpg

n6603948_31525879_2775.jpg

n6603948_31525899_2674.jpg

Holes can now be drilled in the center of the bumper for the hitch receiver hole to be cut out. I use these holes as a reference when using the side grinder and cut-off wheel - they are EASY to see:

n6603948_31525880_3148.jpg

Another Test Fit:

n6603948_31525891_9726.jpg

The holes are now cut and the receivers are welded in on BOTH sides of the bumper. The tighter the fit the better:

n6603948_31525897_1920.jpg

The trailer chain holders can now be bent and the license plate protector can now be cut and welded to the assembly:

n6603948_31525901_4215.jpg

Here is the finished product:

n6603948_31525902_4611.jpg

n6603948_31525907_6657.jpg

n6603948_31525910_7897.jpg

n6603948_31525909_7489.jpg

Hope that this helps all of you guys out there wanting to build bumpers. I've done lots with this bumper - Towed many trailers and other vehicles out from ditches and snowbanks. It was really easy to make and if you take your time and get GOOD PENETRATION with your welds (BURN THEM IN HOT) like I do, you should have a SOLID rear recovery/hitch/armor setup. Also, do not be afraid to weld in gussets, you might notice even the license plate holder on mine is gussetted from the back side. Even the best welds are no good if they are stressed from their weak axis. Gussets help keep them from failing in these directions. ;)

Here is the Thread that I offered these for sale in, at the moment I don't anticipate having any time in the near future to build more of these. However if enough interest is made for them again, we might be able to work something out...

http://www.comancheclub.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10600&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

- Brent

• 1 month later...

Ok, well, if I can get at least 3 more people to show interest I would be interested in making them up again to sell.

(Around 5-6 people - I've had a few others contact me already - would warrant me to buy my own welder and starter set of fab tools ;) ... Time is another issue though... )

Best of luck with the rest of the build on yours, be sure to shoot me some pics or post them up.

• 1 month later...

Well,

JCR Offroad is making bumpers now, so I probably won't be making anymore of these. JCR Offroad does a nice job with their products and I really don't want to steal any business from them. I know first hand that Michigan needs as much help as it can get right now...:thumbsup:

To tell the truth, their bumper looks like it uses steel more efficiently than the ones that I have made. Mine are built way beefier than I think I would ever need them to be. I am probably hauling around 10-15 pounds of extra steel with me everywhere I go, but that comes with the lack of owning a precision plasma cutter. :rotf:

So, all of you that were/are interested in me building you a bumper, I really encourage you to check their product out. JCR Offroad is a great business that I have had nothing but good things to say about. Plus, their price is pretty much the same as what I was charging.

http://www.jcroffroad.com/Merchant2/mer ... y_Code=MJB

However, if you decide to build your own bumper, don't hesitate to ask me any questions. I am more than happy to answer them for you!

- Brent

• 3 weeks later...

I mean make it myself, how much was the material? I have a center exhaust like an SRT8 Cherokee. I designed a bumper just like that except its taller i guess you would say. Same design, 2" reciever, D ring brackets and everything but mine is kinda cut in center like the SRT8 to make it look clean you know. So just imagine that bumper but instead of being 5" i wanted like 8" so i can cut the section out. But seeing this bumper kinda gives me a better idea. And the write helps even more.

Well, it all depends on how you were to go about buying the main tube for the bumper. Buying a short piece of it, 60" or so could end up costing you more per foot than if you were to buy a whole 24' long section of the stuff from the foundry. Apparently it is a major hassle to cut a piece of tube for steel shops, they would rather just sell you the whole thing and not have to cut it. :doh:

When I did it, it ran about $175 for all the steel and all other materials (welding supplies, grinding discs, etc) for one bumper. The majority of that cost was around $90 for the main tube...

• 1 year later...

JCR Offroad has now discontinued making their version of this bumper.

I am looking into buying myself a welder. If anyone would be interested in me making them one of these, let me know.

I can't quote any prices at the moment. Since I started this thread, I've moved to a different state. I will have to start from scratch for finding area steel suppliers and getting prices from them.

I shipped the last ones to New England and Texas from Michigan. IIRC they ran about $60 each to ship... Shouldn't be a problem for me to ship them IF I start making them again. In a few months it'll be getting really cold out again and I'm sure the fiance won't let me weld in the kitchen...

I don't have time to do them now, spring would be the earliest that I could see.

Next weekend I'm going to a huge car show / swap meet. I'm going to be on the prowl for a welder while I am there.

Not only might I be interested in a bumper, but I have a welder that I have been storing in my garage (an old 220v arc welder) for a good long time.

I don't think either of us has even used it since the last time we built a motorcycle frame... 4 or 5 years I am guessing.

I can talk with him and see what he would want for it.

Best part is, if it all works out, I am only a bit over an hours drive away down in Kenosha.

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't get a shot to buy a MIG welder there, none for sale of the quality/ability that I like.

I will keep my eyes open for them, I'm searching craigslist and whatnot quite regularly right now. I will make a post if I find one and am good to go for starting to make these. Please don't hold your breath though...I can't promise anything.

Not only might I be interested in a bumper, but I have a welder that I have been storing in my garage (an old 220v arc welder) for a good long time.

I don't think either of us has even used it since the last time we built a motorcycle frame... 4 or 5 years I am guessing.

I can talk with him and see what he would want for it.

Best part is, if it all works out, I am only a bit over an hours drive away down in Kenosha.

Thanks for the offer, however I am looking for a MIG Welder, not an ARC Welder. If you want a hand in making the bumper, give me a shout after you get the materials and we can set something up, I'd be happy to help.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

New MJ owner, and new to the forum. I need a rear bumper before I can get my 89 registered and on the road as it needs a safety inspection (rule when newly registering in this province - the beast came from BC :Canadaflag: )

Very interested - especially when I noticed that JC Offroad is no longer offering the rear bumpers. Just hope the shipping doesn't kill it,,,,

Is no one else manufacturing rear bumpers????