88 Speaker Size and location?

5 1/4"ers in the doors, 4x6"ers behind the seats in the side panels

Were those rear speakers optional? I see the covers for them, but upon removal there was nothing there and last I check, no wires were there, either.

5 1/4"ers in the doors, 4x6"ers behind the seats in the side panels

I'm replacing speakers in my '88. I measured 4"x6" for front and back. The front speakers are in tact but the rear speakers and grills are missing, wires still there. The radio was missing as well but I picked up a Jeep AM-FM Cassette w/digital tuner/clock at a flea market for $10 that works great and fits perfectly, including the speaker/power connectors.

I just ordered two sets of speakers w/grills from MCM Electronics a couple days ago. http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/51-1102 I should have them by this next weekend and will post how mounting goes. Hopefully I didn't mess up the front dimensions as Pete M measures 5-1/4".

They are 5.25 for the front.

But I am sure you can make the 4X6's fit. Not sure why tho... The 5.25 is a more efficent speaker. Maybe you could return/swap for the 5.25's?

Hopefully the PO didnt chop everything up to get the 4X6's in the doors!!

CW

I don't think my truck had any stereo when it was new. I am not sure but the doors don't have speakers in them or anywhere for speakers to go. Behind the seat there was nothing but the grate and there was also grates below the dash by your knees.

I have since added small speakers up front and some bigger ones in the rear. They don't sound great but at least I can listen to music. But my truck wasn't even wired for it, I had to run wires from the CD player to all 4 speakers. Were stereos/speakers completely optional in the trucks?

now look here i did these on my own. :D i went to many audio shops and they told me it was not posilble to put 6x9 inch speakers in the doors

they said the speakers were too deep and the glass would hit (and it does not :D ) or the window crank would not turn all the way. (and it does :D )

here are some pics:

• 2 weeks later...

Nice setup mate! ...Even though I really dislike the infinity grille on those speakers (if it were mine it would be black already..heh).

Now that my truck is a daily driver I've been thinking of installing a stereo system in it. It's a '86 Custom model (meaning the very base) and I'm 100% sure that it has never had a stereosystem in it, quite funny if you think about it with 105k miles on the truck... I'd gone mad without music on my trips. It doesn't even have holes or grilles anywhere (except for the dash-knee speaker spots).

I've been thinking of installing a cerwin vega 12" subwoofer behind the bench and infinity reference series (they're about 8 years old) 5.25 in the front with hi-tweakers on top of the dash. Possibly some USB capable MP3 player in the dash and my trusty 4x120W Autostudio amp under the bench seat.

Only thing I've been worried about is the box for the subwoofer, since the truck has VERY limited space behind the bench seat and that CV! 12" wants a big box, so it's possible that I'll just get one of those newer type subwoofers which need a much smaller box to operate with efficiency... How big is your box for the subwoofer and what kinda gear is the amp+sub? How's the sound quality / bass pressure..?

well that is a discontuned jl amp 250/1 i belive it is pushing about 500 watts it has poped 3 subs all were 12" fosgate p2 dual 4 ohms

i had to cut out the back of the box and reseal it for the sub to fit

here is a link to a vid of it on youtube :

• 6 years later...

"Think" the dash speakers were small tweeters, located just next to the courtsey lamps that iluminate the foot wells.  (Same level as the ash tray in the lower dash cover under the steering wheel.    Does this make sense???   You will find them in a higher trim level Cherokee.  Understand the 97+ Cherokee has the tweeters in the door.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally getting around to installing the full 6 factory speakers in the truck.  Problem is it is a base truck with no wiring for the tweeters or the speakers behind the seats.

Not sure how to connect them properly.  Do I just daisy chain the speakers from the tweeters to the door speakers to behind the seat speakers? 

Thanks for any assistance