Tires. Yes. A tire thread.

Alright, it's a tire thread. Which I would never read if I hadn't made it myself. Mostly because I find them boring and repetitive.

Anyways, I need:

-A 33x12.5ishx15

-Does alright in mud

-Does well on rocks, stumps, dirt, etc

-Is tough enough to not leave me stranded

-Can be streeted easily enough

and lastly

-Is common enough that I can actually find a set of them used, due to the retarded price of tires in this country.

And go...

For mud RACING you want to stay on top of the mud, so small fat tires. For slow but keep going traction you'd want tall skinny tires to cut through the mud and get traction on the solid stuff underneath.

At Badlands last weekend a few people were running Maxxis Bighorns, and they seemed to work well. I'm pretty sure 89eliminator ran something else that worked equally well, but can't remember what.

I do know that the guy running Superswamper Boggers couldn't get anywhere on the rocks (which is probably why he's selling them...)

Boggers suck. I hate them. Bighorns have only been avaliable in Canada for about a month... I'd probably try them if I was to get new tires.

Pro-comp X-terrains have been ruled out.

It looks like the MT/Rs off a rubi are the best choice... Other than they're for a 16" rim. But at least I should be able to find them. Thing is, they suck in mud. And I'd not mind running something OTHER than a MT/R now since I have them on my dodgy and MJ.

I like my Mickey Thompson MTZ's I run on the TJ (33x12.5r15)... not inexpensive, but nice... I do more trails, rocks and light mud, light snow, but haven't found anything that it didn't do well... I planned on getting the MTZ 31x10.5r15's for the MJ once I decide to drop $600 on a new set of tires...

Wade

I've had good luck with Wild Country AT's. These are a common off brand here in the NE. Tread like a BFG All Terrian and run around $100 new in 33/12.50/15. Local classifieds usually have something in the $150 - 200 range w/ at least 85% tread.

33x12.5x15 Dick Cepek FC II's. Great all around and have good road manners. However they are a little pricey new.

Regardless what you go with, you should be able to get a good deal on used ones if you keep your eyes open. Many people are dumping their larger tires due to higher gas prices. I see great deals here locally everyday. A lot are trade deals for smaller tires. Good luck.

:cheers:

MT baja claws 33x12.5 its what i have and love them good on rocks mud and what little snow we get. They get traction on every thingand if you need more turn them around.lol
You are one of a very small crowd. When I worked for 4 Wheel Parts, the Claw was the most hated and returned tire of anything we sold. We had people threaten to sue the company if we did not take them back and replace them with a "decent" tire.

I too run the TrXus tires on the MJ and love them. They are not terribly expensive and they are fairly common.

i'll throw another vote in for the MTZs. I have been running them for 2 plus years with 30k on them and they easily have another 15-20k on them to go. Hook up great offroad and do well on the street.

I like my Mickey Thompson MTZ's I run on the TJ (33x12.5r15)... not inexpensive, but nice... I do more trails, rocks and light mud, light snow, but haven't found anything that it didn't do well... I planned on getting the MTZ 31x10.5r15's for the MJ once I decide to drop $600 on a new set of tires...

Wade

I'll have to keep those in mind. I'd not heard much about them. And I don't know anyone who runs them. You see, your $600 set of tires would cost me about $1200. So I have trouble justifying buying anything new.

You are one of a very small crowd. When I worked for 4 Wheel Parts, the Claw was the most hated and returned tire of anything we sold. We had people threaten to sue the company if we did not take them back and replace them with a "decent" tire.

I too run the TrXus tires on the MJ and love them. They are not terribly expensive and they are fairly common.

I turned down 5 claws for $200... For that reason. Some people told me they liked them, but I knew better.

How are the TrXus sidewalls? I won't run a BFG M/T or any of the knock-offs just because the sidewalls are too weak. I hate changing tires, and I like how my MT/Rs just shrug off the nasty stuff (Spotter says "You're gonna cut your tire" and I just hammer down...) Tough is god. Especially with me at the wheel.

Anybody run radial TSL swampers? The bias ones are cheap, don't last long (tread life doesn't cocern me too much), but are squishy on road from what I know.

MT baja claws 33x12.5 its what i have and love them good on rocks mud and what little snow we get. They get traction on every thingand if you need more turn them around.lol

Why? I'm curious what their complaints were. Too noisy? Bias or radials?

I can just picture some idiot with a nose bleed Super Duty complaining about how his 49" bias Baja Claws bounce around for the first five miles every morning and grab every crack in the road. :rotf:

Willy

Ask 50 different people what the best tire is and you'll get 50 different answers.

The only real answer is a tire based on what your going to be using it for. The problem is people use the wrong tire for the wrong thing; than they immediately say "this tire sucks"; when in reality the tire may not suck if they used it correctly for what the tire was designed for. It seems like anymore people buy tires based on looks and a brand name than they do on anything else.

We've tried several sets of tires in the last several years. Some we liked, some we hated. That being said Maxxis tires are on all our rigs currently.

Why? I'm curious what their complaints were. Too noisy? Bias or radials?

I can just picture some idiot with a nose bleed Super Duty complaining about how his 49" bias Baja Claws bounce around for the first five miles every morning and grab every crack in the road. :rotf:

Willy

They were primarily Wrangler owners. We always did our best to keep the guys with big trucks away from them to start with. The tires do not wear good, they ride very badly on the road, they don't get traction in the mud, they don't grip rocks well, etc, etc... were the things I heard constantly. As far as I know they were all radials.

The biggest & most common complaints were the bad ride and short tread life.

Personally, I run the ProComp Xterrains on our YJ. They are very noisy on the road, but it doesn't get driven hwy at all and very little short trips in town. The Xterrains are great on the rocks, which is what we bought them for, but they are not real good in mud and we hate mud so that doesn't matter ;)

I got to agree with Wade, the BFG MT has served me well for many years. Not the best road tire, but if you want something less aggressive you can step down to the BFG AT.

The BFG’s are also competitively priced and you can find them easily at major retail outlets like Sears and Costco.

I have no desire to run BFGs. Really. I hated mine. Maybe the new ones are a little better, with the funky krawler like pattern. But if they're the same rubber, they won't cut it. I did a winter run with 35x12.5 M/Ts, and I was nearly denied on a slight incline that was a little iced up. That was with a front spool and L/S rear. And most of the other guys could walk it...

How about LTBs? They're bias... Any good?

I had a buddy that ran the 34" version. I was pretty impressed. Compared to my TrxUs MTs his seemed to do better in the muddy rocks. There were times when he could slowly climb where I would have to use momentum.

Willy