2 Wheel Drive To 4 Wheel Drive Conversion

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The vibration issue is basically tailshaft "whip" resulting from too much u-joint angle and load.

The problem carried over to the Libertine, too, and Chrysler still didn't just do a short shaft transfer case with the slip joint in the driveshaft. On the Libertine, they hung a heavy, concentric weight on the driveshaft to dampen the vibration, neatly addressing the symptom rather than the cause.

Has anyone tried a CV joint  drive shaft (to replace the    U-joint(s)) to alleviate that problem? Certainly more expensive  - which would be "Chiseller's" management's rationale behind cheaping out on the concentric damping weight - but perhaps the best fix?.

[And re the name "Libertine" -  :rotf:]

• 2 months later...

The tranny does not know how many doors the jeep has......

As long as the XJ has the same engine (4.0 or 2.5) as your MJ you should be good. Make sure you get the transmission crossmember and the TC shifter linkage

thanks guys, glad to know i could use it outta a 4 door (that's all pnp has sadly) and as far as same engines i might have a problem with that, i have a 2.8, could i get the stuff outta a 2.5 and slap it up under and call it good or would i have to do an engine swap as well?

Redwolf

And with 4wd the speedo cable is driven off the transfer case, not the transmission. Your speedometer gear/sender out of your 2wd transmission will fit in the transfer case, but you might need a longer cable to reach.

BUT:

First you were asking about a manual transmission from behind a 2.5 which would be either an AX4 4 speed or an AX5 5 speed. Both of these will bolt up to your 2.8 V6.

But then you mentioned a 1990 AW4. The AW4 is the automatic transmission used behind the 4.0 6 cylinder. This will not bolt up to your 2.8V6, and even if it did you would have to add the transmission control unit and somehow hack that into your 1986 wiring harness along with various sensors on the engine (which was never available with the AW4).

The transfer cases most commonly available are a 231  (command-trac) or 242 (selec-trac). Both are available with a number of different spline count AND DIFFERENT LENGTH input shafts depending on what transmission they were behind.

My suggestion: get an AX4 or AX5 manual transmission from behind a 4wd, 4 cylinder 87 or newer Cherokee or Comanche. Get the transfer case with the transmission, that way you know the transfer case will mount up. Also get the entire transfer case shift linkage, including the bracket on the inside of the transmission tunnel.

• 5 months later...

And with 4wd the speedo cable is driven off the transfer case, not the transmission. Your speedometer gear/sender out of your 2wd transmission will fit in the transfer case, but you might need a longer cable to reach.

BUT:

First you were asking about a manual transmission from behind a 2.5 which would be either an AX4 4 speed or an AX5 5 speed. Both of these will bolt up to your 2.8 V6.

But then you mentioned a 1990 AW4. The AW4 is the automatic transmission used behind the 4.0 6 cylinder. This will not bolt up to your 2.8V6, and even if it did you would have to add the transmission control unit and somehow hack that into your 1986 wiring harness along with various sensors on the engine (which was never available with the AW4).

The transfer cases most commonly available are a 231 (command-trac) or 242 (selec-trac). Both are available with a number of different spline count AND DIFFERENT LENGTH input shafts depending on what transmission they were behind.

My suggestion: get an AX4 or AX5 manual transmission from behind a 4wd, 4 cylinder 87 or newer Cherokee or Comanche. Get the transfer case with the transmission, that way you know the transfer case will mount up. Also get the entire transfer case shift linkage, including the bracket on the inside of the transmission tunnel.

I asked a side question in relation to this thread I'm not the OP.

I do have another question in relation to this. I finished my swap and it won't start anyone have any ideas? it doest turn over, I hear the fuel pump and no I have good pressure just no turning over.

Same CPS, which is fairly new. Maybe 4 months old. It's connected and undamaged. I pulled NSS and cleaned it as well. My shifter is difficult and doesn't cycle through all the gears so I imagine that's just the cable.

No.  the 2.5 tranny WILL bolt up to your 2.8L.  the 2.5 and 2.8 share the same transmissions. :thumbsup:

the 4.0 is the one that has a different transmission bolt pattern.

gee and that was is the common XJ engine in the yards round here,

Redwolf

• 4 weeks later...

-front axle that matches your rear's gear ratio

-4wd version of your trans

-t-case that matches your tranmission's spline count

-shifter linkage that matches your trans

-front driveshaft

-rear driveshaft (usually guys just get their 2wd one cut to size)

that's it. :thumbsup:  I recommend buying a cheap 2.5L donor XJ. 

found my thread and glad i did cause i need some things cleared up, i was at a wrenchin part for one of my jeep clubs and they always ask me when i'm gonna get 4wd and i told em when i get a donor XJ for the drivetrain. i was informed that all i need is the dana 30 front axle,front and rear driveshafts and a transfer case (and linkage), theyre sayin the AX-15 trans is 4 wheel drive compatable, is that true? is there like a "cover" that i could take off the AX-15 and convert it to 4x4? just wondering cause this swap is comin soon now that everything aint breakin on my MJ....knock on wood,

Redwolf

short version:  no

long version:  yes, but it's not simple.  You'd need to tear the trans down and swap in a 4WD output shaft, and bolt on a 4WD rear section to mate it to the transfer case.

Much, much simpler to just swap in a 4WD trans from the get-go.

short version:  no

long version:  yes, but it's not simple.  You'd need to tear the trans down and swap in a 4WD output shaft, and bolt on a 4WD rear section to mate it to the transfer case.

well see that's my issue, i can't find the 4wd trans in a 5 speed manual, always the AX-4,

Redwolf

5th gear from your 2wd AX5 should install just fine into a 4wd AX4.

Also, IRC on the AX4/AX5 if you only need to be in the back of the case for the rear output shaft there is no need to take anything apart in the front half. 5th gear (unlike 1st through 4th) also lives in the rear half of the case.

If you are completely tearing down both cases to build a 4wd AX5 from the best parts, make sure 1st through 4th are the same between them, or keep them together from the same transmission. At some time the 1st and/or 2nd gear rations changed (can't remember for sure which, or what year), and you can't use the main gears from the one with the counter shaft from the other one. That issue took me three days of down time to figure out.

-front axle that matches your rear's gear ratio

-4wd version of your trans

-t-case that matches your tranmission's spline count

-shifter linkage that matches your trans

-front driveshaft

-rear driveshaft (usually guys just get their 2wd one cut to size)

that's it.  :thumbsup:  I recommend buying a cheap 2.5L donor XJ. 

Been thinking about this 4 wheel swap as well. From what I gather from this thread if I have a 2.5 liter Manual I should not be looking for a 4.0 liter automatic because that won't work... I should only be looking for a 2.5 liter manual or automatic in a xj or mj to make this work that is 4-wheel drive of course? Right? \

Bummer if that is correct I can't 2.5's anywhere in the junk yards all 4.0's that have four wheel drive at least.

short versionmore common than jeep no

well see that's my issue, i can't find the 4wd trans in a 5 speed manual, always the AX-4,

Redwolf

Someone chime in on this if I'm wrong but shouldn't Redwolf also be looking for a trans from an S10 donor? S10 2.8 with 5speed was way more common than the jeep with 2.8

short versionmore common than jeep no

Redwolf

Someone chime in on this if I'm wrong but shouldn't Redwolf also be looking for a trans from an S10 donor? S10 2.8 with 5speed was way more common than the jeep with 2.8

i don't think it bolts the same, i looked at the 5speed under my buddy's dad's S10 (which had a 2.8) and it didn't look anything the same as mine,

Redwolf