The Farmer.

Well, after years of sifting through MJ's in search of a better and better MJ to build... I finally found one I don't think I could do better with. Hence the start of this thread. Lets start with the introduction.

1987 Jeep Comanche Metric Ton "The Farmer"
Originally a 4.0L Auto, 2WD.
Rod knock, no trans.
Original Dealer destination was West Los Angeles, California, and IT SHOWS.
Now resides in the Midrust, I mean, Midwest.
No rust to speak of, besides the tailgate, and we all know how hard those are to change. 8)
Bought from a member in LaPorte IN, who got it from a Farmer, hence the name.

Day I got it, and hauling it home:

And home in the driveway:

Messing around with the Factory roll bar, the ladder rack:

And finally, the start of the build:

Let start by saying I love taking pictures, and my phone makes it ULTRA easy to upload them in mass amounts. :D

The plans thus far: (Subject to change)

I want to build the truck to be a "Jack of all trades" truck. A moderate lift, sensible drivetrain, with the power to excel on the open road, tow with the best of them, and wheel occasionally with the local MJ'ers. Maybe, just maybe hook up to the factory Jeep MJ plow and detail the driveway in the winter.

Completely strip and paint the truck a bright, crisp white. Possibly a one stage tractor paint to keep touch ups and such easy. Install the complete harness head light to tail light, drivetrain, and everything from a donor '92 MJ that was 4.0L H.O., AX15, 231. Freshly plucked '92 Driveline:

Engine will get a going through, and recieve light performance parts like an '99 XJ intake, aftermarket header, bored throttle body, 5.0L mustang injectors, cold air intake, and some tweaks here and there. Full seal kit of course, and freshening up where needed.

The truck is an original Metric ton, so the D44 is already nestled in the rear, and awaiting plans. I have donor axles from an '96 2.5L XJ with 4.10's, so the front will be going in, with a regear or axle swap to make the D44 follow suit (3.55 currently). Front will get some sort of lunchbox locker. Suspension, as of the moment will be 4.5" Hell Creek leaves SUA in the rear, with a quality (Rubicon Express, BDS) front lift with arms and correct components. Tires will be a 31 or 32 inch flavor. I have a factory skidplate package waiting for the underside.

The interior will get switched to grey, with a headrest bench, and Police package 120 MPH XJ speedo cluster. I have the stuff to put in an overhead console too, and the wiring for power windows/locks. I'll see if I get around to that.

I'll keep you guys posted to the progress. Until then, back to the command station.

Rob L. :cheers:

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the comments guys. Dunno why my garage is something to be envied... Its pretty small. As for the toolbox, she's my baby. I love my tools. Afterall, we would be useless without wrenches, sockets, pliers, and other things to get us through the day. The toolbox is from when I worked for Ford and had my own box/tools. Now that I work for the city, they supply a box and tools for use... That means my baby got to come home. biggrin.png

Its a Matco Box, and I love it. I picked it up for $3300 before trade back in '05. Then I still had to fill it with tools.

I keep it waxed about once a year, and keep it covered with the custom cover if I am doing something with a bunch of dust or not using it for awhile.

And the most impressive drawer, usually gets ooh's and aah's from guys who stop by...

I even have a few socket trays out and about, and some sockets out, so thats even a bit empty.

Oh, and this is another lifesaver:

Its great to use the cart when working in the driveway. I can throw a tray of sockets in along with the tools I'll need, and just wheel it out.

No progress this week. Been busy getting a shed. More updates as I go.

Rob L.

• 3 weeks later...

Been a bit since I've updated... But I have been busy. I had planned on getting the cash saved up for paint, but something else came up, and I had to get my hands on it. So, after some planning, and convincing the girlfriend that we needed a vacation to Minnesota from Illinois, this was the end result:

And the best part of these! They are from a 2 door XJ, so they have the latch!!! :clapping:

And, if I get tired of the Buckets, I have a bench and black mini console in the inventory! 8)

Big Big thanks to Ben (Neohic) for the tip on these... He found them in a 2 door XJ up by him, and posted up in the classifieds... Saw I was looking for a black interior, PM'ed me. Ben went back, pulled the whole interior, carpet and all out of the XJ! Even bagged every screw, plug, little trim piece and the change he found while he was pulling everything out... Awesome dude! And if that wasn't a good enough score, he ran into this codger of an old guy at the gas station who had an MJ, and wanted to get rid of his black interior!!! So not only did I have a sweet set of 2 door XJ black buckets and interior, but he fell into all the MJ specific black interior parts!!! Talk about luck! The old guy even tossed in the bench seat for free. The only thing I would need was a black center console to accompany the buckets... JeepcoMJ ended up wanting some parts from me, and just happened to have an extra one laying around... So we traded for each others stuff. After a rush to sell everything that wasn't bolted down to afford the trip, parts, and Ben's labor, I was on the way to Minnesota with the GF... Not wanting to take the ZJ, we took her Corolla, but I quickly realized we were short on room, so something had to go...

Tons of room after that! :thumbsup:

I ended up getting all parts, including the dash, buckets, bench, trim, carpet... Etc... All in the trunk/backseat of Angela's Corolla, which she nickname the "El Corolla" for the trip. Little loud with no seats and stuff in there on the way up, but on the way back it was quiet as ever, piled to the rear deck with MJ parts... We spent a 4 day weekend up there in MN, and took in the sights... Very good vacation... Went to the Mall of America to do the tourist thing, and it just ended up that the "Rocks and Road" Jeep tour was in town, so we checked that out... But, back to the thread.

Other than that, not much progress has been made other than nipping away with it here and there... Got the dash out with Pat, and traded him my 4.10 8.25 for his 4.10 MJ D44... So now I have a matched set of bolt in ready 4.10's sitting around for when I pull the trigger. His even has the perches burned in uptop for the SOA if I decide to go that route in the future.

I plan on buckling down for the fall, and getting the rest of the truck stripped out, and the cab painted and prepped on the inside, so I can get the interior in. I can't wait. The bright white I have planned for it will look good with the black interior.

Ben, thanks again... I know I paid you for it all, but I don't think I can ever thank you enough...

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Rob L. :cheers:

Very glad it all made it back okay... and it looks just as good in your garage! :thumbsup:

Happy to be part of this project... so what's next?

Next I am going to strip it down, sand down the floors, and prep the inside of the cab to put the interior in... Seal the floor, and soundproof it as good as possible.

Rob L.

Very Nice Rob. jamminz.gif

You were the inspiration... :drool:

On a side note, I did my Friday afternoon stroll through the Junkyard I pass everyday on the way home, and found an in-tact retractable underhood light on a '90 XJ Limited, so I nabbed it, and scoped out the Tan leather seats for Will/Pat... The light was mint. Asked about how much it was, describing it only as an "Underhood light", guy said $5. Came back with it, he gave me the "Oh, one of those... That's not $5." Luckily, the girlfriend's brothers father in-law works the counter, and told me to just take it. Nothing beats free. 8)

Rob L.

Thanks.

I must confess I doctor'd that photo. I have ugly husky floor mats down at all times. When I take photos, I always remove them. Black shows dirt terribly bad.

don't forget. Those seat covers really do clean up as easily as Paul said. Mine were 4 door. The bezels to the two door levers may be a little delicate. So I would be careful with those. Also, don't use a front load washing machine like I did. The hardest part may be getting them to dry. I set mine in the sun and it worked great. Problem is the sun isnt as strong now as it was awhile back.